GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 08:33

Happening NOW:

INSEAD Rolling Out R1 Admission Decisions - Join CHAT Room2 to Get Latest Updates from Fellow Applicants

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asking professor to write recommendation letter

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Asking professor to write recommendation letter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 04:02
Dear members,

I'm not sure that my previous employer will write a letter of recommendation for me. If they will still remember my performance, they will write. Otherwise - not. Need some plan "B". I choose some business schools and I already know where I'd like to work and what I'd like to do after my MBA (if I will get into).

I'm from Central Asia. Planning to apply after one year. Hopefully, in January I will finally beat GMAT. And then I'd like to do networking and communication work. My areas of interest are Venture Capital and Private Equity. My long-term goal is to improve capital investments in Central Asia.

Could you please advice me - how to connect with MBA professors directly to get from them letters of recommendations directly to their programs? I know that it sounds kind of crazy/confusing. But I just want to show my motivation and my abilities. Hopefully, it will strengthen my application with GMAT about 650.

What do you guys think?
Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Asking professor to write recommendation letter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:30
Hi there,

Most business schools (if not all) are seeking professional recommendation letters from people who have worked directly with you and can comment on your abilities. Unless you have worked directly with an MBA professor in some capacity, such a letter will not be very insighful to the Admissions Committee as one of the official recommendation letters. I would encourage you to find recommenders who have worked closely with you and can emphasize your qualities through specific examples.

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 19:10
You will have a lot of trouble getting a recommendation from professors at schools you have no connection to. Some people are able to get informal reccs from professors but still will need a formal professional recommendation. Another alternative is to seek out recommendations from your volunteer work. For example, one of my recommenders when I applied was the head of my undergrad program's alumni board. I served on the board so he could speak to my abilities from that perspective.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 13:48
Terabyte wrote:
Dear members,

I'm not sure that my previous employer will write a letter of recommendation for me. If they will still remember my performance, they will write. Otherwise - not. Need some plan "B". I choose some business schools and I already know where I'd like to work and what I'd like to do after my MBA (if I will get into).

I'm from Central Asia. Planning to apply after one year. Hopefully, in January I will finally beat GMAT. And then I'd like to do networking and communication work. My areas of interest are Venture Capital and Private Equity. My long-term goal is to improve capital investments in Central Asia.

Could you please advice me - how to connect with MBA professors directly to get from them letters of recommendations directly to their programs? I know that it sounds kind of crazy/confusing. But I just want to show my motivation and my abilities. Hopefully, it will strengthen my application with GMAT about 650.
I have been on the admissions committee side, and let me just say STOP! If your employer will not write a rec letter-
look to other professionals you have worked with- clients, advisors, consultants or prior employers - I would say the last resort is your college professors- as unless you did some exceptional research with them- professors just write very standard things and they don't usually know you all that well. I did not find those to be very useful- so really look at extracurricular leadership and get the people you worked with on EC leadership, or clients or past employers- people who have watched you in a work setting- first. If you have not other options- then professors- but only if you had significant interactions with them!

What do you guys think?

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 04:15
Thank you very much!

But why applicants are trying to connect with professors? What do they want from them?
Re: Asking professor to write recommendation letter   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 04:15

Asking professor to write recommendation letter

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap