Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29958 [7]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 2.57
WE:Military Officer (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
At a certain restaurant, a meal consists of 2 different meats chosen [#permalink]
ashishpathak wrote:
The second brother can order any meal that is my understanding isnit correct ? Why should he have only one choice ?

Posted from my mobile device

ashishpathak,

Because both brothers have to have the "same meal". So after the first brother has chosen one combination of the meal, second brother's meal "has to be that same meal". So, for him favourable case= 1 as well as total cases also = 1. Probability = 1/1.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [4]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Re: At a certain restaurant, a meal consists of 2 different meats chosen [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are 6 (4c2) meat combinations and 3 ice cream options. Therefore there could be a total of 18 combinations of meat and ice cream together.
Let the first brother choose any one of the 18 combinations.
Now, the second brother also has to choose his food. He has 18 combinations to choose from.
But what is the probability that he chooses the same combination as his brother?
Its 1 out of 18.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: At a certain restaurant, a meal consists of 2 different meats chosen [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
At a certain restaurant, a meal consists of 2 different meats chosen from pork, fish, chicken and beef, and 1 dessert chosen from cake, pie and ice cream.
If two brothers randomly choose the items of their meals, what is the probability they order the same meal?

(A) 1/48
(B) 1/36
(C) 1/24
(D) 1/18
(E) 1/12

ashishpathak

I'm guessing you were thinking about this from the other direction, which is completely fine.

There are 4!/2! ways to pick the meats and 3 ways to pick the dessert, so (4*3*3)/2 = 18 ways to pick the meal.

The first brother picks a meal.

Now, the second brother must match what the first brother picked. There is one way for him to do that out of 18 possible meals he could have assembled.

So, 1/18.

Answer choice D.

Note that this is the same thing that PyjamaScientist did, it's just that he described it as the first brother matching the second whereas I described it as the second brother matching the first. Same thing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 2.57
WE:Military Officer (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
belagavi wrote:
There are 6 (4c2) meat combinations and 3 ice cream options. Therefore there could be a total of 18 combinations of meat and ice cream together.
Let the first brother choose any one of the 18 combinations.
Now, the second brother also has to choose his food. He has 18 combinations to choose from.
But what is the probability that he chooses the same combination as his brother?
Its 1 out of 18.

thanks clear now nic eexplanation
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29958 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
At a certain restaurant, a meal consists of 2 different meats chosen from pork, fish, chicken and beef, and 1 dessert chosen from cake, pie and ice cream.
If two brothers randomly choose the items of their meals, what is the probability they order the same meal?

(A) 1/48
(B) 1/36
(C) 1/24
(D) 1/18
(E) 1/12

Let's first calculate the total number of possible meals one can order at the restaurant.

The number of ways to choose 2 different meats from 4 options = 4C2 = (4)(3)/(2)(1) = 6
The number of ways to choose 1 dessert from 3 options = 3
So, the TOTAL number of possible meals the first brother can choose from = (6)(3) = 18

Once the first brother has chosen his meal, there's only 1 way (out of 18 options) the second brother's selection can match the first brother's selection.

So, P(both brothers order the same meal) = 1/18

Answer: D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92959 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts