Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [38]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: At the end of 1997 several nations stated that their oil reserves had [#permalink]
Hello Guys,

I didnt get how B is the answer, can anyone explain?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [4]

Send PM
Re: At the end of 1997 several nations stated that their oil reserves had [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

The passage says that oil reserves gradually drop as old oil fields are drained and rise suddenly as new oil fields are discovered. If oil fields are being drained and new oil fields are being discovered, oil reserves would only remain the same if the amount of oil drained was EXACTLY equal to the amount of new oil discovered. The author suggests that this would be an unlikely coincidence. Thus, according to the argument, if a nation states that its oil fields have not changed over the course of year, it is likely that the nation is making an incorrect statement.

But what if over the course of a year, NO oil fields are drained and NO new oil fields are discovered? In that cause, the oil reserves WOULD remain the same. According to the author, the likely explanation for no change in oil reserves is incorrect reporting. However, another explanation is that no oil fields were drained or discovered. Thus, in order for the author's argument to hold, we must assume that the latter explanation is not likely.

Quote:
(B) It is likely that in 1997, in most of the nations that stated that their oil reserves were unchanged, old oil fields were drained or new oil fields were discovered, or both.

Choice (B) represents this required assumption.

Quote:
(D) If a nation incorrectly stated at the end of 1997 that its oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996, then during 1997 that nation drained its old oil fields and discovered new ones.

As for (D), as stated below, the author's argument does not RELY on this assumption. For example, some of those countries may have drained oil fields WITHOUT discovering new ones, decreasing their oil reserves. If those countries stated that their oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996, they would still be incorrect.

In other words, those countries could still be incorrect even if choice (D) is not true.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

The passage says that oil reserves gradually drop as old oil fields are drained and rise suddenly as new oil fields are discovered. If oil fields are being drained and new oil fields are being discovered, oil reserves would only remain the same if the amount of oil drained was EXACTLY equal to the amount of new oil discovered. The author suggests that this would be an unlikely coincidence. Thus, according to the argument, if a nation states that its oil fields have not changed over the course of year, it is likely that the nation is making an incorrect statement.

But what if over the course of a year, NO oil fields are drained and NO new oil fields are discovered? In that cause, the oil reserves WOULD remain the same. According to the author, the likely explanation for no change in oil reserves is incorrect reporting. However, another explanation is that no oil fields were drained or discovered. Thus, in order for the author's argument to hold, we must assume that the latter explanation is not likely.

Quote:
(B) It is likely that in 1997, in most of the nations that stated that their oil reserves were unchanged, old oil fields were drained or new oil fields were discovered, or both.

Quote:
(D) If a nation incorrectly stated at the end of 1997 that its oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996, then during 1997 that nation drained its old oil fields and discovered new ones.

As for (D), as stated below, the author's argument does not RELY on this assumption. For example, some of those countries may have drained oil fields WITHOUT discovering new ones, decreasing their oil reserves. If those countries stated that their oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996, they would still be incorrect.

In other words, those countries could still be incorrect even if choice (D) is not true.

Dear GMATNinja,

I get your explanation to some extent but not totally.
First of all the author says " the fact that the oil reserves remain changed is incorrect ".

What is the author assuming for this to be true?

Assumptions .

There was only drainage but no discoveries - thus change is inevitable ( "old oil fields were drained ")
There was only discoveries of reserves but no drainage.- thus change is inevitable (" new oil fields were discovered")
There was both drainage and discoveries - how does this signify that change was inevitable ("both")

Edit :
Just got it I think. Although there was both drainage and discoveries , the rate of both was not equal hence change is inevitable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4015
Send PM
Can somebody explain why option B is correct?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
MBAAD21 wrote:

See Gmatninja's explanation above. You probably won't find a better guy to explain something to you. I am happy to discuss this more if needed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Brian123 wrote:
MBAAD21 wrote:

See Gmatninja's explanation above. You probably won't find a better guy to explain something to you. I am happy to discuss this more if needed.

Yes I did go through his explanation, and I am not doubting his explanation by any means.

Still, I am having a hard time differentiating option B from D because as far as I understood, the author assumes that because new oil fields are discovered and the old oil fields are drained, there will be some change in the oil levels, therefore nations stating that their oil fields have not changed are incorrect.
But option B states that the nations drained their old oil fields, discovered the new oil fields or both, and so does option D, that nations dumped their old oil fields and discovered the new ones. So, how are these two options different?

This is where I am confused. Or I don't know, may be I am a little slow in understanding or dissecting these two options to get to the correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
MBAAD21 wrote:
Brian123 wrote:
MBAAD21 wrote:

Yes I did go through his explanation, and I am not doubting his explanation by any means.

Still, I am having a hard time differentiating option B from D because as far as I understood, the author assumes that because new oil fields are discovered and the old oil fields are drained, there will be some change in the oil levels, therefore nations stating that their oil fields have not changed are incorrect.
But option B states that the nations drained their old oil fields, discovered the new oil fields or both, and so does option D, that nations dumped their old oil fields and discovered the new ones. So, how are these two options different?

This is where I am confused. Or I don't know, may be I am a little slow in understanding or dissecting these two options to get to the correct answer.

There is a very subtle difference but D says "If a nation incorrectly stated at the end of 1997 that its oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996, then during 1997 that nation drained its old oil fields and discovered new ones." "And" is the keyword in D. You don't need both to happen together, and even if one of them didn't happen, the nations could still be incorrect.

Hope this helps! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
At the end of 1997 several nations stated that their oil reserves had [#permalink]
Thankyou brian123. yes , this helps. Now I realize where I went wrong.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
At the end of 1997 several nations stated that their oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996. But oil reserves gradually drop as old oil fields are drained and rise suddenly as new oil fields are discovered. Therefore, oil reserves are unlikely to remain unchanged from one year to the next. So most of the nations stating that their oil reserves were unchanged are probably incorrect.

Which one of the following is an assumption the argument requires?

(A) For any nation with oil reserves, it is more likely that the nation was mistaken in its statements about changes in its oil reserves than that the nation's oil reserves remained unchanged. - WRONG. Nations mistaken is irrelevant.

(C) During the course of 1997, the oil reserves of at least one nation not only gradually dropped but also rose suddenly. - WRONG. It tries to base an argument only on one exceptional case.

(D) If a nation incorrectly stated at the end of 1997 that its oil reserves had not changed since the end of 1996, then during 1997 that nation drained its old oil fields and discovered new ones. - WRONG. Not necessarily true.

(E) If a nation 's oil reserves change from one year to the next, then that nation is obligated to report the change correctly. - WRONG. Irrelevant.

B is such that it would have happened normally which is what it makes it difficult. Still unbelievable that it is the answer. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Quote:

Quote:

Hi GMATNinja,
"or both" at the end got me. if the country both drained and found new reserves, this leave a chance that those would even out the difference. So basically, the oil reserves can be unchanged.
If there were not "or both" I would go with this answer for sure.

and also, could you please indicate how does "The author suggests that this would be an unlikely coincidence."
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Foreheadson wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Quote:

Quote:

Hi GMATNinja,
"or both" at the end got me. if the country both drained and found new reserves, this leave a chance that those would even out the difference. So basically, the oil reserves can be unchanged.
If there were not "or both" I would go with this answer for sure.

and also, could you please indicate how does "The author suggests that this would be an unlikely coincidence."

In regards to the "both": we're looking for an assumption that the argument requires in order for the conclusion to have a shot at holding true. That's different than an assumption that guarantees that the conclusion will definitely hold true.

So, is it possible that the info in (B) doesn't guarantee the conclusion? Sure! It could be that the draining and discovery of oil perfectly cancel one another out. That's ok, though -- we don't care whether the assumption guarantees the conclusion.

The author bases his/her reasoning on the fact that draining/discovering oil fields makes it unlikely that oil reserves remain unchanged. So, we NEED to assume that most of the countries in question are actually doing these activities. If you take out the "both," then this assumption is no longer a required assumption -- it's possible that these countries both drain and discover oil fields and their oil reserves DO change, so they're mistaken when they report no change.

(B) doesn't guarantee that the conclusion holds true, but it is required for the argument to have a chance at holding up. That's why (B) is the correct answer.

As far as the likelihood that draining and discovering oil perfectly cancel each other out: the author discusses both of these activities, and based on these factors says "oil reserves are unlikely to remain unchanged from one year to the next." So, the author implies that it isn't likely for a country to engage in these activities and end up with a perfectly balanced oil reserve.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
it is one those questions where you get your answer through some good pre-thinking, works better as it is an assumption question and as you read through the question you can think of why the oil reserves remained unchanged and if the author assumed that it did not happen.
Pre thinking here- maybe reserves did rise or fall but new and old fields balanced it out and made the actual level the same.
B) directly attacks this assumption
D) is wrong because it is more detailed and the rise and fall is not assumed to have happened in that specific order.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts