GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 140
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 01:13
3
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:09) correct 71% (01:26) wrong based on 402 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. One who controls his mind controls everything else.The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth.The pressures and temptations of the world are generally strong enough to blind one to this truth though a very few manage to see through them.

Which one of the following can be inferred from the above passage?

A. Control over mind is self sustaining after a certain point
B. Control of mind is not difficult for everyone
C. Attempting self control is a self defeating objective
D. Control over everything is the ultimate challenge for anyone
E. Pressures and temptations of the world are numerous
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1226
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:35
Indeed a tough one.
My choice shall be B.
An OE and source shall be appreciated.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 140
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:51
Hello Marcab,

Yes. I also find this question little tougher.
My few couple of questions are taken from here: http://www.sravna.com/gmat_ques.php

I am looking for CR practice question. It will be great help if you suggest some question bank :)
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1226
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 06:10
There are questions available at CR directory on GMAT Club itself, questions that are sourced from various test prep companies. Thorough study of those questions in addition to the OG 12/13 will definitely suffice anyone's needs.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3416
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 06:46
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1226
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 06:47
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 636
Location: India
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:02
umeshpatil wrote:
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. One who controls his mind controls everything else.The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth.The pressures and temptations of the world are generally strong enough to blind one to this truth though a very few manage to see through them.

Which one of the following can be inferred from the above passage?

A. Control over mind is self sustaining after a certain point
B. Control of mind is not difficult for everyone
C. Attempting self control is a self defeating objective
D. Control over everything is the ultimate challenge for anyone
E. Pressures and temptations of the world are numerous


The objective here is attaining self control and the truth of this objective or purpose of self control is to control everything.The clue to answering this question is the underlined words in the following sentence: The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth. That means once the first hurdle is crossed which is recognizing that by self control you can control everything, the other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed. That is, the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

As an elaboration consider that you consider that self control is very important and needs to be attained. That is the most difficult step. Once you clear that you take steps to control your mind since you recognize its importance and you can achieve the objective because the subsequent steps are less difficult to achieve. It is a complicated way of saying that once you consider an objective important and needs to be achieved, that being the most difficult task in the accomplishment of the objective, the objective will be achieved by the recognition of its importance.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1226
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:27
Quote:
the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

Hii Sri.
Can you please elaborate the above quote of yours. The "self-sustain" is quite a heavy word, but I am not able to infer it from the passage.
Thanks in advance.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 636
Location: India
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:50
1
Marcab wrote:
Quote:
the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

Hii Sri.
Can you please elaborate the above quote of yours. The "self-sustain" is quite a heavy word, but I am not able to infer it from the passage.
Thanks in advance.


Dear Marcab,

When a process is self sustaining, the steps in the process itself is able to sustain the process and the process is brought to completion. In this case the first step in the process of attaining self control is believing that attaining self control is important because it helps you to control everything else which is what is given in the passage. Does this step make the process self sustaining? or in other words does this step aid the other steps?, and is the process finally brought to completion? It does because of the words that this step is the most elusive . Normally when you have an objective and work towards it there are a number of steps that may be needed to complete the objective. Just believing in your goal is not sufficient. But in this case believing is the most difficult part. So once you want to attain self control and believe in the importance of self control that will see you through the whole process.

"Self sustaining" may be high sounding but what it really means is that a step(s) of the process aids other steps.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3416
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:54
Marcab wrote:
Quote:
the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

Hii Sri.
Can you please elaborate the above quote of yours. The "self-sustain" is quite a heavy word, but I am not able to infer it from the passage.
Thanks in advance.


Me too


inference questions are only something saying in other words. that's it

here i do not see any clue that suggests self sustainable.........
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3416
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:57
umeshpatil wrote:
Hello Marcab,

Yes. I also find this question little tougher.
My few couple of questions are taken from here: http://www.sravna.com/gmat_ques.php

I am looking for CR practice question. It will be great help if you suggest some question bank :)


guy there is a bunch of sources out there

veritas question bank, jumbo test, f1 gmat ...........now I'll made a post with the best resource on the web taken from my bookmarks

coming soon......... :wink:
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1226
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 10:14
Yeah...point sounds interesting.+1 to you.
Can you please explain why B is incorrect? I chose B because in the stimulus it is mentioned at the end that there are very few who can see through the truth, thus thereby recognize the truth and hence therefore control everything else.
Also this question doesn't seems even below than the 730 level.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 636
Location: India
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 10:21
Marcab wrote:
Yeah...point sounds interesting.+1 to you.
Can you please explain why B is incorrect? I chose B because in the stimulus it is mentioned at the end that there are very few who can see through the truth, thus thereby recognize the truth and hence therefore control everything else.
Also this question doesn't seems even below than the 730 level.


B is not correct because, a few recognize the truth but it doesn't follow it is not difficult for them to attain self control. The first sentence exactly says this point. That it is challenging for anyone.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 150
Location: Canada
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 20:09
But i think there's difference between a NECESSARY condition and SUFFICIENT condition. What you've mentioned here is a necessary condition but not a sufficient condition. There are 100 steps of which the 1st one is most elusive. Doesn't mean that the first one is sufficient. I hope I didn't get wrong here.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 527
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 23:28
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. One who controls his mind controls everything else.The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth.The pressures and temptations of the world are generally strong enough to blind one to this truth though a very few manage to see through them.

Which one of the following can be inferred from the above passage?

A. Control over mind is self sustaining after a certain point
B. Control of mind is not difficult for everyone
C. Attempting self control is a self defeating objective
D. Control over everything is the ultimate challenge for anyone
E. Pressures and temptations of the world are numerous


The objective here is attaining self control and the truth of this objective or purpose of self control is to control everything.The clue to answering this question is the underlined words in the following sentence: The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth. That means once the first hurdle is crossed which is recognizing that by self control you can control everything, the other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed. That is, the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

As an elaboration consider that you consider that self control is very important and needs to be attained. That is the most difficult step. Once you clear that you take steps to control your mind since you recognize its importance and you can achieve the objective because the subsequent steps are less difficult to achieve. It is a complicated way of saying that once you consider an objective important and needs to be achieved, that being the most difficult task in the accomplishment of the objective, the objective will be achieved by the recognition of its importance.


How does recognizing truth necessarily mean that other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed? Everyone knows the truth of attaining self control, but is everyone able to attain self control?

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 636
Location: India
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 21:32
1
Mahmud6 wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. One who controls his mind controls everything else.The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth.The pressures and temptations of the world are generally strong enough to blind one to this truth though a very few manage to see through them.

Which one of the following can be inferred from the above passage?

A. Control over mind is self sustaining after a certain point
B. Control of mind is not difficult for everyone
C. Attempting self control is a self defeating objective
D. Control over everything is the ultimate challenge for anyone
E. Pressures and temptations of the world are numerous


The objective here is attaining self control and the truth of this objective or purpose of self control is to control everything.The clue to answering this question is the underlined words in the following sentence: The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth. That means once the first hurdle is crossed which is recognizing that by self control you can control everything, the other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed. That is, the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

As an elaboration consider that you consider that self control is very important and needs to be attained. That is the most difficult step. Once you clear that you take steps to control your mind since you recognize its importance and you can achieve the objective because the subsequent steps are less difficult to achieve. It is a complicated way of saying that once you consider an objective important and needs to be achieved, that being the most difficult task in the accomplishment of the objective, the objective will be achieved by the recognition of its importance.


How does recognizing truth necessarily mean that other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed? Everyone knows the truth of attaining self control, but is everyone able to attain self control?

Posted from my mobile device

There is a difference between understanding something and realization of it. By understanding something one is not guaranteed to put it faithfully into practice but in the case of realization one is able to do that.

The topic talks about pressures and temptations of the world blinding almost everybody to the recognition of the truth. So it does not talk about just understanding but realization. Since by realization one is able to put ones thoughts into practice, we can say that what is said in choice A is true.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. &nbs [#permalink] 07 Mar 2018, 21:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.