GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Aug 6: Chat with Tuck Adcom - Tips for Your Best Possible Application

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
Aug 6: Chat with Tuck Adcom - Tips for Your Best Possible Application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 04:06

Tips for Your Best Possible Application - Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom

Tuesday, Aug 6, 2019 12pm ET (9am PDT / 5pm British time / 9:30pm IST)

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

Join Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php

While each applicant comes to the MBA application process with their own experiences and aspirations, they often share many of the same questions along the way. Join Pat Harrison, Director of Admissions, Evaluation & Yield, and Valeria Wiens, Associate Director of Admissions, Evaluation, as they answer your questions and offers tips and advice for preparing your best application.

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.
Reviews Badge
Re: Aug 6: Chat with Tuck Adcom - Tips for Your Best Possible Application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 08:30
Reminder!!! We will start in about 30 mins
Reviews Badge
Aug 6: Chat with Tuck Adcom - Tips for Your Best Possible Application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 21:32
CHAT TRANSCRIPT

Welcome Everybody! It’s great to have you all in this live chat with Tuck’s Admissions te . Today’s topic of the chat is "Tips for your best possible application". We have with us Pat Harrison, Director of Admissions, Evaluation & Yield, and Valeria Wiens, Associate Director of Admissions, Evaluation. Pat and Valeria, on behalf of everyone I welcome you to this chat session.

patharrison
Thank you! We are really excited to chat with you all today.

Pat and Valeria you can please start with the introduction

valeriawiens
Hello everyone!

patharrison
We are looking forward to answering your questions today. Please feel free to start submitting them.

Pat and Valeria you can plz start with the introduction followed by Tips

Narenn
Hello Pat and Valeria! Thanks for joining us today in this chat. We look forward to have a insightful conversation with you both.

rviada
Hello Pat and Valeria, thank you so much for doing this. It is great to learn more about Tuck.

valeriawiens
We’re talking about tips for your application. Here’s our first one to get you started: Dig Deep
Introspection is key during the MBA application process. By the time you hit submit, you should
know—and be able to articulate—exactly why you want an MBA.

valeriawiens
So take some time to reflect about your goals, why you want an MBA, how you learn,
your strengths and weaknesses, what you have learned about your experiences, etc. you will be better
prepared when it comes time to write your essays and you will have an easier time narrowing
down your list of schools.

valeriawiens
Which leads me to tip#2: Explore Schools
Start researching schools now, and keep it doing it! Dig through websites (there’s a ton of information
there, so go beyond what you see on the homepage), talk to current students and alumni, and
visit as many progr s as you can.

Narenn
Guys, this chat is in moderation mode. Your questions/ messages for the adcom will be published as soon as adcom finish their introduction. Feel free to send your questions to the queue.

valeriawiens
Schools will also be hosting events (likely near your area) and this is a great way to learn more
about their progr s. An MBA is a big investment, so do your homework and make sure you find
the school that is the best fit for your goals, learning style and personality.

valeriawiens
Tip 3: GMAT/GRE
Get this out of the way sooner rather than later. Don’t rush it, but give yourself time to focus on essays
and interviews without the stress. We don’t have a preference whether you take the GMAT or the GRE. I suggest you do a few practice tests to see which test you feel best represents your abilities and then take that one.

valeriawiens
There is also no sh e in taking the ex more than once. If you don’t score as well as you think
you should the first time, we encourage you to give it another try. And while there is no magic number
that you have to score, and schools admit a wide range of scores, look at schools’ average scores
and the range of scores in the class to see if you are within their zone.

patharrison
Tip 4: Finances
Don’t assume you’ll get a scholarship. If you do, that’s awesome! If you don’t, you’ll feel prepared
and be a lot less stressed. Pay down other debt, look for funding options elsewhere, and save.

patharrison
Tip 5: Timing
A frequent question from applicants at this stage in the process: Does it really matter if I apply in a
later round? You should apply when you have the strongest application possible. Rushing it to get it in early will not benefit you if it isn’t as strong as you can make it. That said, the earlier in the process the better as each round we have fewer seats and scholarship dollars to offer.

valeriawiens
We hope these tips help get you started thinking about the application process. We would love to hear
what is on your minds. Happy to take your questions!

Pat and Valeria thanks for the tips! We start with Q and A part now

drakepooley wrote:
How should we balance being aspirational versus realistic in our career goals?

rviada wrote:
I have a question regarding GMAT scores: the application says "Please self-report all test score results on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)", do we need to report every single score of the GMAT? or is the highest one enough?

valeriawiens
drakepooley wrote:
How should we balance being aspirational versus realistic in our career goals?
. It’s a mix of both, we hope that your goals are audacious in scope and grounded in reality.

patharrison
RajChaphalkar wrote:
Hi Pat and Valeria, I grateful for your time today to share tips for applying to Tuck. I noticed that the four admission criteria are new this year. Can you help us understand the "aware" criterion? For ex ple, is that only measured by Essay 2, or are there other ways to show awareness?
This is actually the second year that we have used these four criteria. In terms of awareness, we are looking for applicants who understand how their experiences have shaped their identity and character, and our second essay question gets at this. We are also looking for awareness of your future goals and how an MBA from Tuck will help you reach them. Essay 1 gets directly at this point. We are also finding evidence of awareness in your letters of reference and the interview.

valeriawiens
Moderator wrote:
Q2
We’d love to see all your scores, not just the highest one.

patharrison
quyanhle24 wrote:
How are undergrads GPA treated when a student transferred? ie. 2.8 from University A for Associate’s degree followed by a 3.8 from University B (where the Bachelor’s is obtained). Is it averaged?
We will look at all of your grades in assessing your academic readiness for the progr ; however, in terms of what GPA is reported in our class average, we use the final GPA as reported by the institution that granted your bachelors degree.

patharrison
akshay0810 wrote:
How much weightage recommendations have on adcom? Are they make or break for any candidate if rest of the profile is also good?
We do not have specific weights or values for any portion of the application. It is a holistic process in which we evaluate everything submitted. In some cases, strengths may outweigh weaknesses. There is no single element of the application that is "make or break"

valeriawiens
quyanhle24 wrote:
How important are extracurriculars to adcoms? It seems tough for some to get significant time in their ECs because of tough work hours.
We do look at extracurriculars, but they are just part of your application. We do understand that some jobs don’t lend themselves to doing much outside of work because of long hours worked or lots of travel/deployment. If you had extracurriculars in undergrad be sure to list those as well for adcom to see.

valeriawiens
Aanshi wrote:
Hi Pat and Valeria, I have done a 3 years bachelor’s degree form an Indian university. I would like to know if my bachelor degree is accepted at TUCK since the duration of my degree is 3 years. (I will get my degree evaluated by WES; World Education Service).
Yes, we value three year bachelor’s degrees s e as four-year degrees.

patharrison
Yuri0215 wrote:
Hello Pat and Valeria, thank you for doing this today. I heard one of the strengths of Tuck is its strong alumni network. How strong would you say the network is ong alumni? What do you hear about it from alumni and current students?
Our alumni network is one of the things that really sets Tuck apart. Our alums are extremely responsive when students and other alums reach out to them. They take your calls, provide guidance and advice and help you network. They come to c pus frequently to share their experiences. I just heard one of our students tell a story about how they reached out to an alum, and the alum got back right away saying his wife was in labor right now, so could they talk the next week?

patharrison
BilwaKhekale wrote:
If i wish to retake the GMAT, near the application deadline, can i report the score after i have submitted my application?
You are welcome to report your new score; however, we cannot guarantee that it will be considered if review of your file has already begun.

valeriawiens
Moderator wrote:
Q3
You should apply when you have the strongest application possible. Rushing it to get it in early will not benefit you if it isn’t as strong as you can make it. We cannot predict the likelihood of admission in Round 1 vs. Round 2 as our applicant pool changes from round to round and year to year.

TuckAdmissions
cmostellar1 wrote:
Hello Pat and Valeria, I a husband and father. What is the best way to connect with a Tuck student that has a similar f ily situation? Thank you.
Please visit our partners and families webpage: link There you’ll find info on partners/families at Tuck as well as an email address for our Tuck partners club - feel free to get in touch with them!

patharrison
RajChaphalkar wrote:
For candidates whose current supervisor may not yet know they are applying to business school (and for whom informing them may be problematic), is is equally valuable to ask a former supervisor for a recommendation, or another senior leader at the organization? Or does this diminish the caliber of the application?
This is a situation that many applicants are faced with. If you are not able to ask your current supervisor for a letter of reference, then another senior leader at the organization who knows you well and/or a former supervisor are great choices. Please use the optional essay to briefly explain your reason for not asking your current supervisor.

valeriawiens
raspberrysoda wrote:
Hi Pat and Valeria. I talked to an alum and they informed me of a "bidding" process for students to get interviews with firms. Can you shed more light on that?
Every first year student at Tuck will get a set number of bid points which they will be able to use to "bid" on interview slots with companies that recruit on c pus but did not pre-select the student for an interview. Every firm that recruits on c pus will have a number of interview slots on their schedule that are reserved for bidding. So if you really want to interview with firm A but they did not closed list you for an on-c pus interview, you will have another chance to get an interview with this firm through bidding for a slot.

patharrison
quyanhle24 wrote:
What makes a strong recommendation? Is it how aligned the recommendation is with the Tuck’s values? Does a high-profile person provide any weight to its value?
The strongest references come from people who know you well and can speak honestly about your strengths and areas for development. Using ex ples to highlight comments about an applicant are helpful. Having a high profile person does not provide any extra weight if that person does not know you well and can only speak in generalities. We have adopted the questions used in the common LOR, so the questions are no longer specifically tied to our four criteria and we do not expect recommenders to refer to our criteria.

TuckAdmissions
brandonazus wrote:
Hi Pat and Valeria, thanks for taking the time! I just recently completed the GMAT process, and deciding whether to r p up my application process for Round 2 this fall, or wait to submit for Round 1 next summer. Can you elaborate on how a candidate’s likelihood of admission changes in Round 1 vs. Round 2?
You should apply when you have the strongest application possible. Rushing it to get it in early will not benefit you if it isn’t as strong as you can make it. We cannot predict the likelihood of admission in Round 1 vs. Round 2 as our applicant pool changes from round to round and year to year.

Is Tuck the right fit for people interested in tech companies such as azon?

patharrison
Moderator wrote:
Is Tuck the right fit for people interested in tech companies such as azon?
Yes! in 2018 we sent 24% of the class into tech careers, and azon is one of the top hiring companies for Tuck students.

valeriawiens
LagoOntario wrote:
When answering, Why Tuck? Is it beneficial to include one my top personal reasons, the great skiing and other mountain activities located right nearby, or should I stick to more academic centered reasons.
I’ll refer to Luke Pena’s latest blog. Hopefully it will shed more light on how to best approach the Why Tuck question: "Explain why, given the number of strong MBA progr s, you are applying to Tuck. The key distinction here is the difference between loving Tuck and knowing Tuck. You need a clear-headed awareness about how Tuck uniquely advances you towards your goals, and that requires knowledge of the alignment between what Tuck offers and what you want. Instead of focusing on how much you want a Tuck MBA, tell us instead about how well Tuck aligns with your goals.". Here’s the full blog: link

Does Tuck offer initiated interview during weekends? Me and my wife are considering apply as couple and we also considered the interview on c pus, but it will be difficult to her to go if not during weekends.

valeriawiens
mala3851 wrote:
If I begin a Round 1 application and provide letters of recommendation but ultimately decide to apply in Round 2, would those recommendations remain valid?
These submitted letters of recommendations will remain valid for subsequent application rounds, they just need to be submitted by the round-corresponding deadline (so it’s ok to have them submitted early).

patharrison
Eladt wrote:
Pat and Valeria, thank you for sharing this valuable information with us.
May you please shed some light on the financing options Tuck’s international students are eligible to?
Tuck has a loan progr for international students so they are eligible to borrow up to 80% of cost of attendance without a US co-signer. International students are also considered for scholarships as are all admitted students.

patharrison
RajChaphalkar wrote:
Do you think n edropping Tuck students and alumni with whom we spoke in the school discernment process helps show we did our due diligence, or does it hurt our application, or does it not matter?
The n e of the students you have spoken with is not as compelling as the information you are using to guide your decision to apply to Tuck and it uses up valuable word count.

valeriawiens
Moderator wrote:
Does Tuck offer initiated interview during weekends? Me and my wife are considering apply as couple and we also considered the interview on c pus, but it will be difficult to her to go if not during weekends.
We’d love for you and your wife to visit c pus and interview in Hanover however we do not offer interview slots on the weekends. You can see all of the currently open interview dates and times here: link Note that interview slots after October 20th will be posted later this month.

I’m in my mid thirties, should I go ahead and apply to the tuck MBA progr ? I’m a female IT professional from India and willing to remain in the s e industry post MBA , although with different set of career aspirations and goals.

patharrison
Moderator wrote:
For an international applicant, how do you judge the undergraduate institute? Does having alumni ( Tuck ) from the s e undergraduate institute help in forming a better perspective ?
We have a staff with a lot of experience evaluating applications from around the world, so we are f iliar with many schools already, and if we encounter one that we do not know, we will research to learn more about it.

valeriawiens
Kris001 wrote:
Hi Pat and Valeria, I appreciate you taking out the time and talking to us. Does having a previous Masters in a different field affect my application?
We look at your application in its entirety. It’d be helpful for the admissions committee to understand how a second Master’s degree fits into your past trajectory and future goals so be sure to speak to that.

For essay 1, should the leadership story need to be about work or can it be a co-curricular initiative at a company level as well?

RajChaphalkar
What do you appreciate most about the new admission criteria and process under Luke Peña and what are the biggest challenges?

patharrison
BilwaKhekale wrote:
A part of the application asks the reason for why you haven’t scheduled a self initiated interview yet. If the reasons for this are monetary constraints , will it hurt the chances of getting an admit?
Not at all. We are need blind in our admissions decisions. We ask the question because some applicants find it helpful to explain their reasons for not making the trip. Either way, we recognize that not everyone is able to self-initiate an interview and will not hold it against them if they cannot.

patharrison
cmostellar1 wrote:
During a c pus tour, will prospective students be introduced to Tuck’s centers? Thank you
No unfortunately the Centers are not a part of the visit day tour.

patharrison
Palladin wrote:
Since R1 and R2 applications are at least 4 months apart, do you expect applicants to have higher GMAT score for R2 applications?
No. We do not have different expectations for R2 scores.

Narenn
We are closing the session, please stop sending new questions.

valeriawiens
Moderator wrote:
For essay 1, should the leadership story need to be about work or can it be a co-curricular initiative at a company level as well?
We do not have a question that specifically asks about leadership. Our three essay questions are:
Tuck students can articulate how the distinctive Tuck MBA will advance their aspirations. Why are you pursuing an MBA and why Tuck?
Tuck students recognize how their individuality adds to the fabric of Tuck. Tell us who you are.
Tuck students invest generously in one another’s success even when it is not convenient or easy. Share an ex ple of how you helped someone else succeed.

patharrison
naboo123 wrote:
What are some ways to mitigate a lower than average GPA (3.0 or 3.1) besides a strong GMAT?
We are looking for more than just a GPA or GMAT score when we evaluate for the "smart" criterion. We want to see curiosity and a desire to challenge yourself and learn from others. If there were factors impacting your academic performance, you may use the optional essay to explain what was happening at the time.

valeriawiens
RajChaphalkar wrote:
As you develop a well-rounded class, how do you determine between two candidates who have similar backgrounds and meet all four admission criteria? For ex ple, if you have two Indian male engineers, or two white erican males interesting in investment banking?
No two applications are the s e, and each one is evaluated according to our four admissions criteria. We do not apply quotas and different people shine for different reasons.

valeriawiens
Thank you everyone for joining us today and for your thoughtful questions.

Thanks everyone for participating in this chat today. Thank you very much Pat and Valeria for spending time with us, and answering applicants’ questions. Best of luck for the application season ahead.

patharrison
Thank you everyone! We’ve enjoyed chatting with you and hope you will continue to explore opportunities at Tuck. Our admissions te is traveling around the world this month and in the coming months, and we hope to meet you in person at one of our events.

Applicants can further join the Tuck 2020 intake discussions at link

Narenn
Thanks very much Pat, Valeria, and Sarah for joining us today.

Narenn
We welcome all applicants in the Tuck applicants discussion. link

Narenn
You can use this thread to meet other applicants, build network, exchange ideas/information, share interview/school visit experiences, and boost one-another’s morale to face the tough admission process at this wonderful business school!

Thanks everyone for participating in this chat today. Thank you very much Pat and Valeria for spending time with us, and answering applicants’ questions. Best of luck for the application season ahead.
Aug 6: Chat with Tuck Adcom - Tips for Your Best Possible Application   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 21:32

Aug 6: Chat with Tuck Adcom - Tips for Your Best Possible Application

new topic post reply Update application status