GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

AWA Review - Provide Your Feedback.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.99
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
AWA Review - Provide Your Feedback.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 00:08
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following appeared in a memorandum from the business department of the Apogee Company:
“When the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore,
the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such
centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of all
employees.”
Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Response : I have kept spelling mistake as it is. I used notepad.

In order to increase the profitability of Apogee Company, author proposes that company should close down its field offices and operate from a single location. While making this conclusion he assumes that this move will help to reduce the compnay's operating cost and will also help for better supervision. These reasonings, however , are flawed and undermines few important considerations for any company to make profit. Therefore next few paragraphs will outline these unconvincing aspects of authors reasoning in the argument.

First, authors assumption that Apogee Company's profit will increase if it operates from one location is unreasonable because profit is calculated using revenue and costs ,and therefore removing field offices from different locations might loose business of that location resulting in revenue loss. Author must calculate the relative cost being saved compared to revenue being lost. Therefore moving field offices to a single location might not help to make more profit , in fact it might lead to more revenue loss impacting the profit numbers.

More ever, author assumes that a single operating location will not lead to any other operational expesnes , such as company workers from single office locations require to travel
to different sites where business customers demand their services. If outstation travel costs and accomdation costs are more than field office operating costs then praposal to consolidate field offices will not help to increase the profit. Therefore this assumption is flawed.

And lastly , third assumption which author makes is better supervision from single office location will benefit more profits. This is completely unsupportive. Better supervision and profit are not linked to each other. This reasning is weakened in absence of any supporting example or evidence.

Therefore in conclusion, closing down all field offices and operating from single location can not gurantee profits to Apogee Company because of flawed reasnings discussed above. Argument can be stregthened by providing data points and supporting evidence. Argument should further discuss on company's operating model to validate the flaws in the argument.

Attachments

File comment: This is my own template for writing to AWA passage. Check both the pages.
AWA Template - GMAT AWA Q2.doc [27.5 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times

To download please login or register as a user

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: AWA Review - Provide Your Feedback.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 03:01
You can check it yourself:

http://www.gmatawa.com/

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.99
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: AWA Review - Provide Your Feedback.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 03:55
This is brilliant. I tried and it worked for me. Thanks. In addition can I expect actual feedback from this forum ? Website/toll has rated me 3.6/6 on my first AWA essay , It would be better If I get actual feedback along with rating to understand how better I can do here. thanks indeed for swift responses.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: AWA Review - Provide Your Feedback. &nbs [#permalink] 07 Mar 2018, 03:55

AWA Review - Provide Your Feedback.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap