Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare Marketing
Schools:R1 - Kellogg, Tuck (W), Yale, Cornell, R2- Haas, Ross, R3 - Foster
 Q46  V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q46  V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Bad verbal - 680 Q46V37 [#permalink]
yeah sounds like you'll be ok. keep in mind that indian IT guys are a demographic in and of themselves these days at our (american) b-schools. for all the problems with my country, and there are a LOT, we still have probably the best overall higher education system in the world. no one can really compete with the depth of talent and funding of our universities overall.

the problem for indian it guys is that they're stereotyped by adcoms as insane overachievers as people who put way too much emphasis, generally speaking, on things in the application that can be quantified, namely:

GMAT
GPA

If you look at averages at top american b-schools 10 years ago and today there has been a huge huge huge increase in those average scores. At the same time, the indian IT guys have been coming in over the walls. coincidence? maybe. but my gut tells me no.

so you guys are making it harder for the rest of us to clear the academic hurdles. the flip side for you guys is, you MUST have VERY high numbers (like, indian IT guys are expected to have mid 700 GMAT and a perfect GPA) to make up for the fact that there are just so many of you with the same application otherwise. it seems to me that something in indian culture leads indian folks to study and do nothing else. that's ok, but if you're an admissions officer on application 4,659 on a friday afternoon...do you really want to see another indian it guy with a 700 GMAT and 4.0 GPA talking about computer stuff in his essays? i know i wouldn't.

i encourage you to get involved with extracurriculars and management experience. for an indian it guy, high GMAT just won't do anything without the management or leadership experience. good luck my friend! get away from the books and computers and live my friend!
Intern
Intern
 Q46  V37
Send PM
Thanks my friend for the advice...but let me just clarify I am not an Indian IT guy(I am a girl)...like I said in my initial post I am a media communications professional with eight plus years of management and leadership experience. And I have worked for clients across industries - consumer, healthcare, non-profits and technology...some of my key clients include McDoanld's, Whirlpool, GE Money, Boston Scientific, Bristol Myers, UNICEF, USAID and of course I should mention Stanford Graduate School of Business, MIT and Tuck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
forgive me RJ! my mistake. wow you sound impressive. i'm sure you will get in to the top schools with that GMAT and background.

i sincerely wish you all the best luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts