GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 Feb 2020, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depressio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depressio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jan 2020, 00:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:07) correct 61% (01:23) wrong based on 451 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.

A. as present as the weather, and as much discussed
B. present like the weather was, and it was also discussed as much
C. as present and was discussed as the weather was
D. so present as to be discussed like the weather
E. present and discussed as often as the weather was

Spoiler: :: OA
The right option as given in Princeton is option A.

I have confusion between A and E options here & I kinda like the E option better. Please tell me why I should not prefer E over A?
A. -> "a sport as present as weather" -- I'm not sure if presence of whether and game can be compared like this
B. -> Wrong | "like the weather was" - "as" sounds more appropriate instead of "like" here
C. -> Wrong | "was" i unnecessary before discussed
D. -> Wrong | "as to be" - wrong
E. -> this sound most appropriate of the options above. it says that the sport was present and it was discussed as often as the weather was

Please explain why one should choose option A over option E.
Thank you!

Originally posted by divineacclivity on 16 May 2012, 20:13.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Jan 2020, 00:18, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Re: Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depressio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 22:04
divineacclivity wrote:
----------------- Problem -----------------------------------------------
Baseball, the only major professioal sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed
A. same as the original one
D. so present as to be discussed like the weaher
E. presend and dicussed as often as the weather was
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The right option as given in Prinston is option A.

I have confusion between A and E options here & I kinda like the E option better. Please tell me why I should not prefer E over A?
A. -> "a sport as present as weather" -- I'm not sure if presence of wheather and game can be compared like this
B. -> Wrong | "like the weather was" - "as" sounds more appropriate instead of "like" here
E. -> this sound most appropriate of the options above. it says that the sport was present and it was discussed as often as the weather was

Thank you!

~ DA

the comparison about the presence of weather and baseball is missing in E, while the original sentence carries it.

Best
Vaibhav
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Re: Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depressio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 22:06
narangvaibhav wrote:
divineacclivity wrote:
----------------- Problem -----------------------------------------------
Baseball, the only major professioal sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed
A. same as the original one
D. so present as to be discussed like the weaher
E. presend and dicussed as often as the weather was
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The right option as given in Prinston is option A.

A. -> "a sport as present as weather" -- I'm not sure if presence of wheather and game can be compared like this

Thank you!

~ DA

the comparison about the presence of weather and baseball is missing in E, while the original sentence carries it.

Best
Vaibhav

Forgot to add details:

The reason y E is wrong is :
it says "present and discussed as often as the weather was"

Break the sentence and you'll get:
"baseball was discussed as often as the weather was"
which is correct.
"baseball was present as often as the weather was"
which is incorrect.

Best
Vaibhav
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 09:02
The clue for the difference between A and E lie in the words much and often, The original says much which implies that the discussion was deep, a non–countable quantum, but E changes it saying that the discussion was often meaning frequently or many times, implying a countable number of times. So E doesn’t stick to the original in spirit and letter.
GMAT SC is not about just knowing either grammar or meaning. It is about applying your knowledge in the Test Hall, the art of GMAT SC-- If you want to learn that art, then either call +91 9884544509 or contact <newnaren@gmail.com>
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 08:34
(A) as present as the weather, and as much discussed.
Correct comparison "as X as Y". As much discussed as an add on leads to clear meaning that both presence and discussion are compared.
(B) present like the weather was, and it was also discussed as much
cannot use "like" with a clause (the weather was). Unclear meaning of the discussion. "It" doesn't have a clear referent.
(C) as present and was discussed as the weather was
Incorrect comparison - looking for "as X as Y" with similar structure for X & Y.
(D) so present as to be discussed like the weather
improper meaning for the comparison. What does it mean to be discussed like the weather?
(E) present and discussed as often as the weather was
sentence does not compare the presence of both things, only how often they were discussed.

Correct answer A.

KW
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2020, 16:10
[quote="divineacclivity"]Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.

A. as present as the weather, and as much discussed ---- CORRECT
B. present like the weather was, and it was also discussed as much ---- incorrect usage of "like" . Even when "like" is used to set "similar to", it should only be used to link a noun to a clause. It can't link two clauses together.
C. as present and was discussed as the weather was ---- Not parallel and distorts the idiom as____as. Inside the "as___as" structure we can't place a verb such as "was discussed".
D. so present as to be discussed like the weather ---- Changes the meaning. Idiom "so X as Y" does not set a comparison.
E. present and discussed as often as the weather was ----- Changes the meaning. We need "as much discussed as"

GMAT Motivation: "The GMAT never sleeps. She waits in bed for you, one eye open. And if you are not careful, one day you wake up and she's gone."
Experts' Global Representative
P
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 03:32
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

divineacclivity wrote:
Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.

A. as present as the weather, and as much discussed
D. so present as to be discussed like the weather
E. present and discussed as often as the weather was

Choice A: Option A preserves the intended meaning of the sentence, avoids pronoun ambiguity, and maintains parallelism. Thus, Option A is correct.

Choice B: Option B uses the word "like" to link a clause; to link clauses, the word “as” must be used. Moreover, the pronoun "it" does not have a clear referent. Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: Option C does not utilize the correct idiomatic structure, "as X as Y". Thus, Option C is incorrect.

Choice D: Option D distorts the intended meaning of the sentence, as "so present as to be discussed" fails to convey that baseball was as common as the weather. Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: Option E distorts the intended meaning of the sentence, as "was present and discussed" fails to convey that baseball was as common as the weather; rather, this phrase only implies that baseball was present and, separately, as discussed as the weather. Thus, Option E is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Like v/s As on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of “Avoiding Pronoun Ambiguity on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Re: Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depressio   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2020, 03:32

Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depressio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics