Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [21]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Status:Destination Sales and Guest Relations Manager for Russia, CIS & Eastern Europe
Affiliations: Starwood Hotels: The Grand Mauritian & Le Meridien
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Olga: Kovshanova, MBA, MA
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14
GMAT Date: 02-20-2013
GPA: 3.9
WE:Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [2]
Send PM
Re: Based on the information below and the fact that a typical customer fo [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

First of all, Kudos to axs for posting the right solutions with correct explanations.

Here are our detailed solutions to the three questions:

1.First of all, we need to find out the relevant statement of the Head of Marketing (HOM). To do that we go to Tab 2. According to the Head of Marketing – the target should be to reach maximum number of target customers for a dollar spent on advertising.
Now, who are target customers. To do that, we look at Tab 1. These are customers who earn between $40K and $60K.
Based on the criterion by HOM, we can see that for HOM statement to hold, the number of viewers of “The Beach Show”, who are the target customers, must be less than or equal to such number for “A Tea with Shinie”. (Please note that ad rates are same for both the shows).
Therefore, the maximum of viewers of “The Beach Show” who are target customers will be the same as the number of target customers who view “A Tea with Shinie”.

How do we find the number of target customers who view Shinie? Let us visit Tab 1.
For this, we use the following statement:
In the show “A tea with Shinie”, there is only a miniscule number of viewers (around 5% of the viewers), who earn than $40K annually. Besides, half of these earn more than $60K, thus not our target customers
The show has 1.24 Million viewers. Since 5% of viewers earn more than $40K, the number of people who could be potential customers = 62,000
However, we are also given that half of them earn more than $60K, thus the number of viewers in the salary range $40K to $60K is 62K/2 = 31K.Thus, target customers who view “A Tea with Shinie” = 2.5% of 1.24mn = 31K

Therefore, the correct option is A. (The image on the right side shows a screenshot of a screen of the audio-visual solution on e-GMAT)

2. We need to find out the number of viewers of “Hand in Hand”, whose salaries fall in the range $40K to $60K (criterion for customer target category).
To answer this question we will have to combine the information from Tab 2 with the information in the question. In Tab 2, the head of marketing says that out of 2.4mn views of Hand in Hand, 1.2mn don’t earn more than $20K and not even a single viewer earns more than $50K, which implies, that there are 1.2mn viewers in the $20K to $50K range. Furthermore, the question stem states that the 1.2mn users are uniformly distributed in this range, i.e. there are as many users in $20K to $30 K as there are in $30K to $40K and so forth.

However, our range of interest is only $40K to $50K; one third of the range of salary. Hence, the number of viewers in this range is only one third of 1.2 million = 400K.

Hence, choice A is correct.

3. The question asks us to find out the %age of viewers who fall in the target category for the show “News Roundup” such that the company does not spend on “A tea with Shinie”. And this has to be based on the criertion indicated by the Head of Marketing. Per this criterion, the goal is to maximize the number of viewers per advertising dollar spent. Or in other words minimize the cost to reach a target customer.
Thus, for every advertising dollar spent, the company should reach the maximum number of target customers. Hence for the company to choose “News Roundup” over “A Tea with Shinie”: “News Roundup” cost/target customer should be lower than that of “A tea with Shinie”.

Since, the comparison of number of target customers is for every dollar spent, it also means that if Show A charges 5 times the amount of the amount charged by Show B, then for advertising on Show A, we must reach at least 5 users.
We already know that the # of target users in “A tea with Shinie” is 31K (from question 1)
The cost of advertisement = $9.6K
Hence, the cost per user is $9.6K/31K
Note, that the cost of advertisement for News Round up is $96K, 10 times that of “A tea with Shinie”. Hence, we don’t even have to calculate, we can easily say that the number of viewers for News Round up should be at least 10 times that of “A tea with Shinie” = 310K
To calculate the percentage, lets divide the numbers
310000/24000000 = ~1.3 percent.

Therefore, Option D is the correct choice.

Let me know if anyone has any doubts on this.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev Singh
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [0]
Send PM
Re: Based on the information below and the fact that a typical customer fo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OlgaKovshanovaMBAMA wrote:
Thanks Chiranjeev!

Please where can more Multi-Source Reasoning Questions be found?

Hopeful with explanations?

Advanced Thanks!

Olga

Hi Olga,

e-GMAT has recently launched a full-fledged course on IR with 15+ hours of interactive audio visual content on IR. It encompasses 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests. Once you register for the course, you would find a number of original MSR questions there. Click here to know about the various courses available on e-GMAT.

Feel free to ask in case of any queries.

Chiranjeev Singh
Intern
Intern
Status:Destination Sales and Guest Relations Manager for Russia, CIS & Eastern Europe
Affiliations: Starwood Hotels: The Grand Mauritian & Le Meridien
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Olga: Kovshanova, MBA, MA
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14
GMAT Date: 02-20-2013
GPA: 3.9
WE:Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hi Chiranjeev,

I have purchased the full e-GMAT package promo "Verbal Online + Grockit" which includes all:
1) e-GMAT SC course ($69)
2) e-GMAT Critical Reasoning course ($69)
3) e-GMAT Reading Comprehension course ($89)
4) e-GMAT Integrated Reasoning course ($79)
5) e-GMAT OG SC solutions ($39)
6) 12 month Grockit membership ($350 value)

Please point me to the Multi-Source Reasoning Questions?

Kindly reply to my direct e-mail: olinka@olinka.info

Advanced Thanks!

Olga

Olga Kovshanova, MBA, MA
Hotel Professional Extraordinaire
Destination Sales and Guest Relations Manager for Russia, CIS & Eastern Europe
Starwood Hotels: The Grand Mauritian & Le Meridien
Email: olinka@olinka.info
Professional Website: https://www.olinka.info/
Skype name: olinkaru
M: +230-717-5790 evenings
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kovshanovaolga
Leader LinkedIn Group: Hotel Professionals Worldwide
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Hotel-Pr ... de-4333308
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11161 posts