GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 263
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Apr 2017, 08:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (00:51) correct 54% (01:04) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before Budapest was Budapest, it was Aquincum ,a Celtic settlement that would go on to become the roman capital of lower Pannonia

A)Before Budapest was Budapest,it was Aquincum
B)Before there was Budapest,it was Aquincum
C)Before it was Budapest,it was Aquincum
D)Budapest was once what was called Aquincum
E)Budapest had been known as Aquincum

_________________

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful


Originally posted by VyshakhR1995 on 25 Apr 2017, 02:30.
Last edited by VyshakhR1995 on 25 Apr 2017, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 03:20
Is my answer correct.Please help, as i am confused.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 263
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 03:45
nippu wrote:
Is my answer correct.Please help, as i am confused.


What is your answer??
Can you post it along with your explaination
Thanks
_________________

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 147
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 06:59
1
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
Before Budapest was Budapest, it was Aquincum ,a Celtic settlement that would go on to become the roman capital of lower Pannonia

A)Before Budapest was Budapest,it was Aquincum
B)Before there was Budapest,it was Aquincum
C)Before it was Budapest,it was Aquincum
D)Budapest was once what was called Aquincum
E)Budapest had been known as Aquincum


I was confused between A & C, then picked A, because I thought C is more wordy
Here comes the way I eliminated B, D and E

B)Before there was Budapest,it was Aquincum
=> Not parallel "there was..., it was..."

D)Budapest was once what was called Aquincum
=> Wordy. If it was "Budapest was once called Aquincum", it would be more precise and avoid ugly repetition "was"

E)Budapest had been known as Aquincum
=> past perfect tense is used illogically (there is no past event mentioned happening after "Budapest had been known as..."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 263
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 08:15
1
Lucy Phuong wrote:
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
Before Budapest was Budapest, it was Aquincum ,a Celtic settlement that would go on to become the roman capital of lower Pannonia

A)Before Budapest was Budapest,it was Aquincum
B)Before there was Budapest,it was Aquincum
C)Before it was Budapest,it was Aquincum
D)Budapest was once what was called Aquincum
E)Budapest had been known as Aquincum


I was confused between A & C, then picked A, because I thought C is more wordy
Here comes the way I eliminated B, D and E

B)Before there was Budapest,it was Aquincum
=> Not parallel "there was..., it was..."

D)Budapest was once what was called Aquincum
=> Wordy. If it was "Budapest was once called Aquincum", it would be more precise and avoid ugly repetition "was"

E)Budapest had been known as Aquincum
=> past perfect tense is used illogically (there is no past event mentioned happening after "Budapest had been known as..."


A is the answer.
E ----your right usage of had is wrong
D----what was redundant
C--no clear grammatical antecedent for the pronoun it
B-same as C
A-No pronoun ambiguity
_________________

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 09:55
nippu wrote:
Is my answer correct.Please help, as i am confused.


Your query has already been well explained above - closing the expert's request.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jun 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 04:44
Before it was budapest, aquincium was the capital of rome. Is this sentence correct?

Reason I am asking js 'it' can be a placeholder as well right?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 04:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Before budapest was Budapest it was aquincum

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.