It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beginning my GMAT Journey. Looking for Tips..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Beginning my GMAT Journey. Looking for Tips.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 13:49
Hello, I am new to forum but will probably be a regular on here for the coming months...

BG info:
2:1, Masters in Chemical Engineering (Imperial, UK). Graduate 2017.
Looking to do 2018 Finance programs. (GMAT recommended to strengthen application)

My Target:
720 GMat
10 weeks prep

So I have a few 'specific to me' questions for you seasoned veterans out there:

I took the GMat practise CAT test 1 under test conditions, without any prep yesterday and scored 580 just to benchmark myself... I was a bit surprised I was that bad but hey ho.. My questions are as follows then.

1) Is it realistic to go from 580 to 700+ in 10 weeks. I am not working at the moment and plan on doing 5/6 hours a day.

I did an 'error log' as suggested on here and found the following:

Quant: (54 percentile)
70% of the quant incorrect answers I managed to re-correct afterwards as they were dumb mistakes.
20% was me not seeing what to do straight away and skipping due to time but after, under no contraights I could do them easily (on average about 3 mins per q).
10% I genuinely didn't have a clue. Most of them being Geometry. (Will look at Geometry questions)

Verbal (54 percentile)
60% of the incorrect answers were SC.
40% were a mix of the others.

2) How best to approach quant? Like I said, 90% on the concepts I am happy with, I am just making dumb mistakes. Is it still worth looking at guides? Or shall I just practise massive volumes of questions to get rid of those mistakes?

3) SC is clearly a major issue for me. As a native, I just played everything by ear. I clearly have no real idea of grammatical structures etc. What is the best approach of fixing this? Any specific guides you would recommend / posts on here to read.

4) Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3399 [1], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Beginning my GMAT Journey. Looking for Tips.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi BrexitBojo,

To start, a 580 is a strong 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. In addition, the 720+ score is above the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT... so whether 10 weeks will be enough for you to hit 720+ or not is something that nobody can answer just yet.

While it's certainly possible that you could brute-force your way through lots of practice questions and hit your goal, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level (and end up inadvertently 'wasting' a lot of practice material). Since you appear to have plenty of potential study time in the next 10 weeks, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this 1st CAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3399 [1], given: 172

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 17:11
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi BrexitBojo,

To start, a 580 is a strong 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. In addition, the 720+ score is above the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT... so whether 10 weeks will be enough for you to hit 720+ or not is something that nobody can answer just yet.

While it's certainly possible that you could brute-force your way through lots of practice questions and hit your goal, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level (and end up inadvertently 'wasting' a lot of practice material). Since you appear to have plenty of potential study time in the next 10 weeks, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this 1st CAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks for the advice.

I have ordered the OG guide+ verbal +Quant but those are mainly for questions. Quant, I am pretty happy with. I just need to iron out dumb mistakes. However, I feel like I definitely need to put some sort of Qualitative strategy in place. Any strategies (+guides) you would recommend to help improve my score?

1) Not sure what you mean by this?
2) Early Novemember
3) MSc Finance at: Imperial College, London School of Economics and University College London.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3399 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 15:10
Hi BrexitBojo,

When you take a practice CAT, you will be given 3 sub-scores: a Quant Scaled Score, a Verbal Scaled Score and an Integrated Reasoning Score - and a corresponding percentile for each score. Your 580 was based on the pair of Scaled Scores - and knowing those numbers can help to define your current strengths and weaknesses (and by extension - what you might need to focus on to improve).

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3399 [0], given: 172

Re: Beginning my GMAT Journey. Looking for Tips..   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 15:10

Beginning my GMAT Journey. Looking for Tips..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap