Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [5]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Being articulate has been equated with having a large vocabulary. Actu [#permalink]
Kudos
Premise: People with large vocab find it inadequate to use it in making creative expression
Conclusion: Large vocab is hindrance for creative expression

Assumption: A --> When people truly have to be articulate in expression, they don't use large vocab and find it inadequate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Send PM
Re: Being articulate has been equated with having a large vocabulary. Actu [#permalink]
OA is A. Could anyone explain why?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion: Thus a large vocabulary is a hindrance to using language in a truly articulate way.

(A) When people are truly articulate, they have the capacity to express themselves in situations in which their vocabularies seem inadequate. [HOLD It]
(B) People who are able to express themselves creatively in new situations have little incentive to acquire large vocabularies.[Assumption has nothing to do with the incentives – eliminate it]
(C) The most articulate people are people who have large vocabularies but also are able to express themselves creatively when the situation demands it.[What is the characteristic of the most articulate person is irrelevant – eliminate it]
(D) In educating people’ to be more articulate, it would be futile to try to increase the size of their vocabularies.[Enticing –conclusion is not about educating , but using of the language – eliminate it]
(E) In unfamiliar situations, even people with large Vocabularies often do not have specifically suitable words available.[Unfamiliar situation is irrelevant – eliminate it]

One great tool for the assumption problem is negation technique: If negating an assumption invalids the conclusion then the assumption is correct. In our example, let’s negate A.
When people are truly articulate, they have the capacity to express themselves in situations in which their vocabularies seem [b]adequate
This makes vocabulary an integral part of the language usage. Now, check the conclusion: Conclusion no longer stands.[/b]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Right answer is A.

Perhaps one can pre-phase, helping one to understand that the definition of true articulateness is based on the ability to express one's self linguistically in a creative manner when no available words seem adequate. Doing enables us to realize that A is the right answer.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Legendaddy wrote:
Being articulate has been equated with having a large vocabulary. Actually, however, people with large vocabularies have no incentive for, and tend not to engage in, the kind of creative linguistic self-expression that is required when no available words seem adequate. Thus a large vocabulary is a hindrance to using language in a truly articulate way.

Which one of the following is an assumption made in the argument?
(A) When people are truly articulate, they have the capacity to express themselves in situations in which their vocabularies seem inadequate.
(B) People who are able to express themselves creatively in new situations have little incentive to acquire large vocabularies.
(C) The most articulate people are people who have large vocabularies but also are able to express themselves creatively when the situation demands it. - This is opposite to the conclusion.
(D) In educating people to be more articulate, it would be futile to try to increase the size of their vocabularies. - out of scope if you articulate well, you dont need to increase vocabulary
(E) In unfamiliar situations, even people with large vocabularies often do not have specifically suitable words available.
- this merely repeats the idea mentioned in premise

Tough one.

Premise -

Good Vocab --> 1 need not be articulate
therefore large vocab is a hindrance in being articulate..

conclusion-

Large vocabulary is a hindrance to being articulate

Assumption can be -
for 1 to be articulate --> no need of Good Vocab

( x causes y where assumption can be y does not cause x )

For me A and B were close.
I eliminated B for the reason - People who articulate well do not need to increase their vocab. It fails to have impact on the conclusion whether lack of vocab stops one from being articulate or not.

However when I tried negation on this on, was really confused.
People who are able to express themselves creatively in new situations have LOTS of incentive to acquire large vocabularies.
this seems to falter the conclusion, doesnt it?

I chose A because it matches with the assumption drawn (y does not cause x). negation of this also kills the conclusion.

may be in the stressed out situation of test, I might end up marking a wrong answer in haste.

I wish someone can show a better approach for this one. How to be perfectly sure of A over other choices.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8807 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
automan wrote:
Being articulate has been equated with having a large vocabulary. Actually, however, people with large vocabularies have no incentive for, and tend not to engage in, the kind of creative linguistic self-expression that is required when no available words seem adequate. Thus a large vocabulary is a hindrance to using language in a truly articulate way.

(A) When people are truly articulate, they have the capacity to express themselves in situations in which their vocabularies seem inadequate.

(B) People who are able to express themselves creatively in new situations have little incentive to acquire large vocabularies.

(C) The most articulate people are people who have large vocabularies but also are able to express themselves creatively when the situation demands it.

(D) In educating people’ to be more articulate, it would be futile to try to increase the size of their vocabularies.

(E) In unfamiliar situations, even people with large Vocabularies often do not have specifically suitable words available.

The structure is almost always:
i. some people say / many ppl think / it is commonly assumed ... [claim X]
ii. but/yet/however ... I disagree with claim X
iii. here's a premise (that is dubiously relevant to claim X)

For example:
Some people think that democracy is a system that tolerates dissidence. But they're wrong. After all, democracies don't normally allow you to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Assumption/Objection?
What does "yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded theater" have to do with "tolerating dissidence"?

I think the shortest way to the answer would just be to recognize the missing link of relevancy that would connect the premise "lacking creative self-expression" to the conclusion, "using language in a truly articulate way".

If we just scan the answers for "truly articulate", we would only find (A) as a contender.

Discussing who is "most articulate" as (C) does is not the same as whether one is "truly articulate".

Discussing how to make one "more articulate" is not the same as whether one is "truly articulate".

And (B) and (E) don't have any link to the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Being articulate has been equated with having a large vocabulary. Actu [#permalink]
nightblade354
Hi nightblade, sorry to be always bothering you, but although i choose A as the answer, I could not logically grasp it, Can you please help me in understanding the question? I have written below what i could make of the question.

CON- Thus a large vocabulary is a hindrance to using language in a truly articulate way.

PREMISE- People with large vocabularies have no incentive for, and tend not to engage in, the kind of creative linguistic self-expression that is required when no available words seem adequate.

I could make out that the author is certain that no other reason other than "too much vocabulary" hinders a person from becoming articulate.

Originally posted by deveshj21 on 22 Jan 2020, 09:13.
Last edited by deveshj21 on 23 Jan 2020, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos

Assumption question

Pre-thinking

The author's reasoning is that since people with large vocabulary don't express themselves in a creative way they cannot be defined as articulate.

Falsification scenario: What if being articulate does not mean being able to make creative discourses?

Assumption: Being articulate=being able to make creative discourses

POE:

In line with pre-thinking

Irrelevant

(C) The most articulate people are people who have large vocabularies but also are able to express themselves creatively when the situation demands it.
Irrelevant as MOST makes this choice out of scope

(D) In educating people’ to be more articulate, it would be futile to try to increase the size of their vocabularies.
Irrelevant

(E) In unfamiliar situations, even people with large Vocabularies often do not have specifically suitable words available.
Irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Premise: Articulate = Large Vocabulary
Argument: People with Large Vocabulary cannot creatively express themselves when no available word fits in
Assumption: ?
Conclusion: Vocabulary is a hindrance in using language fluently

Hold on to this, because it is filling in the blank space. If you read the whole sentence at once, it will make sense. People with large vocab cannot express themselves and so vocab is a hindrance in using language frequently. So obviously, a person is only articulate when can express himself where the words fail.

We are not talking about any incentive to acquire or not acquire anything.

(C) The most articulate people are people who have large vocabularies but also are able to express themselves creatively when the situation demands it. This was my correct choice but after re-reading the CR i figured out it's wrong because of the phrase " when situation demands it" In the question stem it's written, that an articulate person cannot express himself creatively not when the situation demands it but when the words seem in-adequate.

Nor the premise or the argument and the conclusion talks about or even hints about increasing the size of the vocabulary. In the conclusion it is already stated that a large library is an hindrance to articulate people. This option is opposing it.

In the argument we are taking about not able to express themselves creatively and and not why they are not able to find suitable words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Isn't A just restatement of argument above???? How A can be assumption then??
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts