Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best Strategy for 700+ Score? [#permalink]
Goillini13 wrote:
BigBrownFox wrote:
Quote:
Would an hour/day 5/days week for a month or two suffice?

That would equate to ~20 hrs for 1 month or ~40 hrs for 2 months, assuming that you dedicated time for studying every day. I think that for most people with relatively strong English and math backgrounds, 40 hrs of focused study would be enough time to raise their score from 600 to 700. If you have weak fundamental skills in one of the two sections, then it may take you longer to reach your desired score.

Depending on your strengths and weaknesses, doing OG13 problems and then reviewing the answer explanations may be more time-effective than MGMAT guides. 40 hrs I think is enough to go through OG13, the two Preptests from GMAC, and review, but leave little time to go through the MGMAT guides thoroughly. Maybe skim through the guides for the areas that you feel weak of?

So you think it would be doable using the OG and online practice exams only? That would save a good chunk of money, which would be great.

I suggest using the OG first, identify any weak areas, and then refer to the MGMAT guides for your weak areas. Or stated another way, if you're limited on time, I don't see that you would spend time reading guides on areas that you are already strong on would be time-efficient.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This sounds pretty doable. Also, which online practice exams are the best to do in terms of guaging your actual score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
The two official GMAC ones that you can download from mba.com. I suggest saving those for a week or two before the actual test though, since they simulate what you'll likely see on test day.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great, thanks! I appreciate your insight.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi Mods/Experts,

A Question on test taking strategy??

1. At the end of a particular session (except AWA), if I dont click "Submit" will the answer be auto submitted when the time runs out, given the fact that I have checked one of the answer choices? This answer would be really helpful in the following scenario:-

Suppose I finish 15 mins early on the Quant section, then I can actually go out for a break to prep up for the Verbal Section. This way I would get 15 + 8 = 23 Minutes of break time. Really Valuable!!

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hi Mods/Experts,

1. At the end of a particular session (except AWA), if I dont click "Submit" will the answer be auto submitted when the time runs out, given the fact that I have checked one of the answer choices? This answer would be really helpful in the following scenario:-

Suppose I finish 15 mins early on the Quant section, then I can actually go out for a break to prep up for the Verbal Section. This way I would get 15 + 8 = 23 Minutes of break time. Really Valuable!!

Thanks a lot.

How exactly does one prep for the verbal section inbetween tests? That sounds like a really bad idea.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just an update on my current prep. So far I have only gotten around to taking a practice test. Scored a 640 on a official GMAT practice exam. Verbal score was good, with a relatively weak quantitative. Will update once I take another exam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hi Mods/Experts,

Thanks a lot.

There is no auto-submission so you the question won't be counted till you confirm. This is legal requirement i.e. to give you a second chance at confirming the answer. As someone else said its a bad strategy to do anything but load yourself with some carbs, take a bio-break, and splash your face with cold water.

Arun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Goillini13 wrote:
Just an update on my current prep. So far I have only gotten around to taking a practice test. Scored a 640 on a official GMAT practice exam. Verbal score was good, with a relatively weak quantitative. Will update once I take another exam.

Taking a test is like using a thermometer. It can only measure your current health. Unless you start working on the fundamentals you will not see any improvements. So ensure you do that. Let us know if you want us to vet your study plans.

Arun
GMAT Club Bot