GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Best way to approach Quant section?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Best way to approach Quant section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 10:25
Hi all,

I have been studying quant for a few weeks, and thought I was grasping concepts well, but then completely failed when I took a "quiz." I just took some new practice questions and tested myself without looking at the answers. I only got a few out of 40 right...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/different ways to approach quant questions. Right now, working practice questions a few hours a day isn't cutting it.

Thanks in advance!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Best way to approach Quant section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 13:15
mmtakam23 wrote:
Hi all,

I have been studying quant for a few weeks, and thought I was grasping concepts well, but then completely failed when I took a "quiz." I just took some new practice questions and tested myself without looking at the answers. I only got a few out of 40 right...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/different ways to approach quant questions. Right now, working practice questions a few hours a day isn't cutting it.

Thanks in advance!

Dear mmtakam23,
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles and I am happy to help. :-) I will say a few things.

1) Here's a blog you may find insightful:
How to Study for GMAT Math
You will find more strategies in the linked articles.

2) Here are some free GMAT Math Flashcards. You should drill all these until you know every single one inside-out.

3) Math happens in the details. The best way to get concrete math help from the experts here is to ask very specific questions about specific problems. See this blog:
Asking Excellent Questions
Please do not start a new post for each problem. Always begin by doing a thorough search before posting a math problem, because most math problems from most sources have already been posted here. For each problem you got wrong, find the relevant thread, and read through the solutions and explanations. If your questions aren't answered, add your question to the thread, and everyone who answered the thread will be notified. You are more than welcome to solicit my help, using the "mention this user" button. Also, if you haven't figured it out already, Bunuel is the principal moderator of the Quant section of GMAT Club, and he is a genius and a brilliant explainer of mathematical ideas. He has amassed several collections of resources and practice problems that you should find helpful.

4) If you are interested, I will recommend my company, Magoosh. Here's a free math video lesson:
Multiples
We have 100+ math video lessons, covering all the content and strategies you need for Quant success on the GMAT.
Here's a PS question:
Proportion with radicals
Here's a DS question:
Line k in quadrant III
When you submit your answer to either, the following page will have a full video explanation. Each one of Magoosh's 1000+ practice questions has its own VE. That kind of immediate feedback is exactly what a student would need to make rapid progress.

Even if you decide not to purchase Magoosh, I hope you get everything you can from our free blog. There's a lot there that can help you.

My friend, let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 14:16
mmtakam23 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

In addition to what Mike suggested above, I'd recommend to go through the following post ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !.

Hope it helps.

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 17:22
Thank you both so much for the reply/tips! I will definitely utilize those links. Much appreciated!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 11:16
It's not unusual to feel like you understand 'how to do math', but still lag behind on GMAT quant. That's typically because you understand the math, but one of two things is happening:

- Your timing is weak on the test, so that you're getting a lot of problems right at the beginning, but you're losing all of those points (and then some) at the end. I'm not sure what quiz you took, but if it incorporated timing into its scoring, this might be the case. Remember that the GMAT tends to reward 'back of the napkin' solutions much more than mathematical ones. If you can reason your way through a problem in an efficient, off-the-cuff way, generally that'll contribute more points in the long run than a beautiful but complex mathematical solution.

- You know the math rules, but you aren't correctly recognizing when to apply them. Try creating a 'when I see this, do this' spreadsheet - this link refers to the GRE, but the process is exactly the same for the GMAT: http://www.manhattanprep.com/gre/blog/2 ... e-problem/

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Online tutoring and curriculum

My latest GMAT blog posts | My latest GRE blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
GMAT Tutor
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 16:33
Hi,

You can do the following:
- Follow the pattern of Manhattan guides (theory from anywhere you are comfortable with)
- Solve the unsolved problems at the end of Manhattan guides
- Go to This Link and solve the problems starting from 500 level and moving to 700 level gradually
- Repeat this for all the topics

Hope it helps!
mmtakam23 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Best way to approach Quant section?   [#permalink] 17 May 2016, 16:33

Best way to approach Quant section?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics