GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1244
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 16:45
1
Top Contributor
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:12) correct 33% (01:18) wrong based on 512 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.

A) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it
B) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received
C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
D) painted the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
E) painted the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and the French public received it

_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1703
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 21:59
1
A) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it - Incorrect. Awkward.

B) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received - Correct. 'which' correctly refers to the paintings and the sentence maintains the parallelism between 'which he revised' and 'which the French public received'.

C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it - Incorrect. Awkward

D) painted the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it - Incorrect. Meaning error + Parallelism error

E) painted the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and the French public received it - Incorrect. Meaning error.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 86
Location: India
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 01:39
Friends ..Can anyone help me with the "touch" rule ... here is my doubt ...

"a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which" - Here I thought which referred "Rouen Cathedral", the nearest noun
But that is wrong I think. Because here 'which' semms to refer - "a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral" ...
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1244
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 01:48
Top Contributor
HMC wrote:
Friends ..Can anyone help me with the "touch" rule ... here is my doubt ...

"a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which" - Here I thought which referred "Rouen Cathedral", the nearest noun
But that is wrong I think. Because here 'which' semms to refer - "a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral" ...


Hello HMC
You are absolutely right, in this example
a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which

of the Rouen Cathedral is the modifier of series and because of this which modify not the Cathedral but series.

Here is the really cool article from Magoosh about this rule and about this question:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 306
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 02:46
1
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.

A) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it
(verb-ed modifier modifies closest noun- here revised modifying RC -makes no sense)
B) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received
which modifies series of paintings & which xxx and which xxxx maintains parallelism
C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
here comma+and starts a new independent clause ( it means which he revised in his studio in 1894 and french public reveived don't have any relation)
this is wrong as two actions are inter-related.
also is this sentence correct if we have which xx and that xx (comma removed) ! pls advise
D) painted the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it ( CM painted RC -wrong)
E) painted the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and the French public received it ( CM painted RC -wrong)
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 86
Location: India
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 03:08
Thank you for your reply Harley... It does help.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4542
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 14:33
1
Top Contributor
Some time ago, I saw an authoritative chapter on the logical sense of the syntax and semantics of the relative pronoun ‘which’ in a book called the “Sentence Correction Nirvana’ released by EducationAisle. It might help to fix the vexatious problem of the touch rule of ‘which’.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 43
CAT Tests
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 01:08
B is correct.
A and C -- Awkward
D and E -- Meaning error
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 18
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 01:36
sairam595 wrote:
C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
here comma+and starts a new independent clause ( it means which he revised in his studio in 1894 and french public reveived don't have any relation)
this is wrong as two actions are inter-related.
also is this sentence correct if we have which xx and that xx (comma removed) ! pls advise


Can anyone explain about this? I wonder whether "produced a series of paitings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and that the French public received"(without comma and without "it") would work. Would you consider this as a correctly paralleled structure?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 13:14
grimbergen wrote:
sairam595 wrote:
C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
here comma+and starts a new independent clause ( it means which he revised in his studio in 1894 and french public reveived don't have any relation)
this is wrong as two actions are inter-related.
also is this sentence correct if we have which xx and that xx (comma removed) ! pls advise


Can anyone explain about this? I wonder whether "produced a series of paitings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and that the French public received"(without comma and without "it") would work. Would you consider this as a correctly paralleled structure?


The use of "that" is problematic. The relative pronoun "that" is used for an essential modifier, a modifier that defines the noun it refers to. However here a non-essential modifier is required - something additional is said about the paintings. Therefore using "which" in place of "that" is preferred. Option B is correct in using "which" for both the modifiers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 276
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 00:55
As per the correct answer choice, below sentence is correct.


Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.


Is it correct to use the two or more than two modifiers by connecting them with "and"(comma and "and" in case of more than two modifier)? Are the below sentences correct?

1. Ram, the son of Dhashrath , the husband of seeta and the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

2. Ram, who was the son of Dhashrath , who was the husband of seeta and who was the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

3. Ram, the son of Koshalya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

4 Ram, the son of Koshalya, the king of Ayodhya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 04:57
AR15J wrote:
As per the correct answer choice, below sentence is correct.


Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.


Is it correct to use the two or more than two modifiers by connecting them with "and"(comma and "and" in case of more than two modifier)? Are the below sentences correct?

1. Ram, the son of Dhashrath , the husband of seeta and the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

2. Ram, who was the son of Dhashrath , who was the husband of seeta and who was the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

3. Ram, the son of Koshalya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

4 Ram, the son of Koshalya, the king of Ayodhya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.


Yes it is alright to separate modifiers (even relative clause modifiers) referring to the same noun with conjunctions. All your sentences are grammatically alright.
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 547
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 05:08
sayantanc2k wrote:
grimbergen wrote:
sairam595 wrote:
C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
here comma+and starts a new independent clause ( it means which he revised in his studio in 1894 and french public reveived don't have any relation)
this is wrong as two actions are inter-related.
also is this sentence correct if we have which xx and that xx (comma removed) ! pls advise


Can anyone explain about this? I wonder whether "produced a series of paitings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and that the French public received"(without comma and without "it") would work. Would you consider this as a correctly paralleled structure?


The use of "that" is problematic. The relative pronoun "that" is used for an essential modifier, a modifier that defines the noun it refers to. However here a non-essential modifier is required - something additional is said about the paintings. Therefore using "which" in place of "that" is preferred. Option B is correct in using "which" for both the modifiers.



As per one of the explanations provided in OG, the use of which for non-essential and that for essential is disputed. They stated that students should look for other errors.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 276
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 16:33
1
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
As per the correct answer choice, below sentence is correct.


Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.


Is it correct to use the two or more than two modifiers by connecting them with "and"(comma and "and" in case of more than two modifier)? Are the below sentences correct?

1. Ram, the son of Dhashrath , the husband of seeta and the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

2. Ram, who was the son of Dhashrath , who was the husband of seeta and who was the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

3. Ram, the son of Koshalya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

4 Ram, the son of Koshalya, the king of Ayodhya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.


Yes it is alright to separate modifiers (even relative clause modifiers) referring to the same noun with conjunctions. All your sentences are grammatically alright.




First two sentences in which husband can refer to both Ram and Dashrath are not ambiguous?
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1789
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 13:18
can sb shows me the way to read questions of "correction sentence" properly?
I just aim at main subject and main verb ->then the rest are all modifiers, -> then take the main subject as the focused idea of the sentence, and then read the underlying parts -> correct it if there are any errors.

The problem is it takes me almost 2 mins to get 1 correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 09:28
AR15J wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
As per the correct answer choice, below sentence is correct.


Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.


Is it correct to use the two or more than two modifiers by connecting them with "and"(comma and "and" in case of more than two modifier)? Are the below sentences correct?

1. Ram, the son of Dhashrath , the husband of seeta and the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

2. Ram, who was the son of Dhashrath , who was the husband of seeta and who was the king of Ayodhya was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

3. Ram, the son of Koshalya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.

4 Ram, the son of Koshalya, the king of Ayodhya and the husband of seeta was exiled from Ayodhya for 14 years.


Yes it is alright to separate modifiers (even relative clause modifiers) referring to the same noun with conjunctions. All your sentences are grammatically alright.




First two sentences in which husband can refer to both Ram and Dashrath are not ambiguous?


2nd sentence is wrong in my opinion. 2nd 'who" is referring to dhashrath i think .
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1169
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 20:48
Harley1980 wrote:
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it as an emblem of all that was noble about their history and customs.

A) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and with the French public receiving it
B) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894 and which the French public received
C) produced a series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
D) painted the Rouen Cathedral, which he revised in his studio in 1894, and that the French public received it
E) painted the Rouen Cathedral, revised in his studio in 1894, and the French public received it


The answer is B
Which clearly refers to the paintings .
use and is correct and we need which just after and to maintain parallelism .
A is fragment there is no verb after and to make the last clause parallel
B correct
C that is ambiguous
D Meaning error
E Meaning error
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1072
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 18:27

Official Explanation


Split #1: look at the modifier "revised in his studio" or "which he revised in his studio" --- both of those are correct in and of themselves. BUT, what do they modify? Clearly, the "series of paintings" could be revised in Monet's studio, but the cathedral itself couldn't fit inside someone's studio. (D) & (E) are entirely incorrect.

Split #2: pronoun problem. In (C) & (D), the pronoun "that" refers to the series of paintings, so the appearance of the second pronoun "it" for the same thing is incorrect.

Split #3: Choice (A) has the structure "with" + [noun] + [participial phrase]. The GMAT does not like this construction. If you want to describe a full action, use a full [noun]+[verb] clause. Because of this, (A) is wrong.

This leaves (B) as the only possible answer.

FAQ: Doesn't "which" refer to Rouen Cathedral?

A: This is an awesome question about the use of "which" and what we call the "touch rule." Oftentimes, "which" clauses modify the nouns that they "touch" or immediately follow.

But there are exceptions to the "touch rule." In this case [of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral] is a vital modifier of the noun "series" because it specifies WHICH "series" we are talking about. Therefore, "which" can refer to the noun "series" before the vital modifier.

So (B) is okay and correct.

In contrast, the "which" in (D) MUST refer to cathedral-the "touch" rule applies-- so (D) is incorrect. (E) has the same problem: "revised in his studio" incorrectly refers to "cathedral." :)
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

GMAT Club Bot
Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of &nbs [#permalink] 04 Sep 2018, 18:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Between 1892 and 1893, Claude Monet produced a series of paintings of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.