GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 00:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:39) correct 54% (01:40) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom bans television prior to that date, and only airs broadcasts from a state-owned service

A. Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom bans television prior to that date, and only airs broadcasts from a state-owned service
B. the Kingdom bans television prior to 1999, when the first broadcast occurred and only airs broadcasts from a state owned service
C. The first television broadcast in Bhutan occurred in 1999. Prior to that date television was banned in the Kingdom; Bhutan only airs broadcasts from a state-owned service.
D. Bhutan;s first television broadcast occurred in 1999. Prior to that date, television was banned, and now the Kingdom only airs broadcasts from the state-owned service.
E. Occurring in 1989, Bhutan's first television broadcast was, prior to that date, banned; the Kingdom airs broadcasts from a state owned service.
Manager
Manager
B
Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 00:07
Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom bans television prior to that date, and only airs broadcasts from a state-owned service

A. Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom bans television prior to that date, and only airs broadcasts from a state-owned service
B. the Kingdom bans television prior to 1999, when the first broadcast occurred and only airs broadcasts from a state owned service
C. The first television broadcast in Bhutan occurred in 1999. Prior to that date television was banned in the Kingdom; Bhutan only airs broadcasts from a state-owned service.
D. Bhutan;s first television broadcast occurred in 1999. Prior to that date, television was banned, and now the Kingdom only airs broadcasts from the state-owned service.
E. Occurring in 1989, Bhutan's first television broadcast was, prior to that date, banned; the Kingdom airs broadcasts from a state owned service.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 00:11
C/D and E maintain the proper tense for ban.

However E also is awkward construction.

I see between C and D; D may be better construction. So I chose D, which is the right answer but I need some solid grounds to reject C for.
C maintains independent clauses. Does it mean that the intended meaning is better with using...'and now the kingdom'...

Tks
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 04:38
A - Incorrect usage of Occuring
B - when the first broadcast and only air state owned is nt..... sequence is nt correct
C - Correct
D - Bhutan's first television broadcast means there were many first broadcast that occured
E- Incorrect usage of Occuring
What is the OA ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 06:09

In place of occurring it should be 'occurred'. Invalid use of ; here.
B. the Kingdom bans television prior to 1999, when the first broadcast occurred and only airs broadcasts from a state owned service Incorrect
; should have a parallel structures on both sides of it. Which is not true in this case.
D. Bhutan's first television broadcast occurred in 1999. Prior to that date, television was banned, and now the Kingdom only airs broadcasts from the state-owned service.
Proper Construction. Correct.
Invalid and edgy construction. Also, the date mentioned in this option is 1989, though the other options are with respect to 1999.

Please somebody can through more light on this question? chetan2u / sayantanc2k

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 00:44
babuvgmat wrote:
Only Independent clauses should be separated by ;

B. the Kingdom bans television prior to 1999, when the first broadcast occurred and only airs broadcasts from a state owned service -- which kingdom - bhutan is missing

best among others .

D. Bhutan's first television broadcast occurred in 1999. Prior to that date, television was banned, and now the Kingdom only airs broadcasts from the state-owned service.
Proper Construction.

, television was banned, as appositive or descriptive information makes it non essential but this is required .

E. Occurring in 1989, Bhutan's first television broadcast was, prior to that date, banned; the Kingdom airs broadcasts from a state owned service. -- Incorrect only television broadcast was banned but not first television was banned.

Can anyone please explain how D is correct and C is wrong ?

You may probably ignore a question with 2 distinct sentences (separated by full-stop) in answer options - I have not personally come across such questions in GMAT.

As for option D, "Prior to that date, television was banned" conveys the meaning that television was banned not just in Bhutan, but also in other places. Moreover the wrong positioning of "only" implies "that the Kingdom only airs broadcasts" and does not do anything else.

In option C, it is clearly stated that "television was banned in the Kingdom". Unfortunately the wrong placement of "only" remains in option C as well.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 05:30
ruchi857 wrote:

I chose 'D' over 'C' because IMO option 'C' lacks proper connection between 'Television was banned prior to 1999' and 'now it airs broadcasts from state-owned service'

Option 'D' connects these two properly.

On the other note, I have not seen two sentences connected by '.' on GMAT :)
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 05:44
ruchi857 wrote:
C/D and E maintain the proper tense for ban.

However E also is awkward construction.

I see between C and D; D may be better construction. So I chose D, which is the right answer but I need some solid grounds to reject C for.
C maintains independent clauses. Does it mean that the intended meaning is better with using...'and now the kingdom'...

Tks

The following link may be interesting; all of the options seem to have issues.

bhutan-s-first-television-broadcast-occurring-in-1999-the-kingdom-ban-219628.html#p1693406
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 13:40
In GMAT we are asked to choose the "best" among the 5 as for sentence correction is concerned. I would go with "D" as there is no rhetoric or meaning issues. Perfect placement of modifies and information flows from one fragment to another.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 15:22
something is not right with the format of the question...are you sure it's kaplan???
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 17:29
Merging posts. Please, search before posting questions!

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 03:11
E has ‘prior to that date’ modifying ‘first television broadcast’, changing the meaning and making it not make sense. It is wrong. A gets the tenses completely wrong. B fails to mention the name of ‘the Kingdom’. Between D and C I am having trouble choosing… Both seem correct, but D seems to have clearer construction.

I will pick D.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2019, 03:11

Bhutan's first television broadcast occurring in 1999; the Kingdom ban

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics