GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Bizarre GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Bizarre GMAT score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 19:55
yesterday, I scored 450 Q36 V 12 on a real GMAT test. I am completely dumbfounded. Here is the story.

Quantitative part

After ther 3rd question, the computer started to bombard me with difficult questions. I know I did well on them. The "easier" questions started from the 20th onwards. I thought I was doing well and finished the test with 1 minute to spare.

Analytical part

The first 10 questions included 2 SC and 2 RC. I know I was doing well( I am not that stupid). Then suddenly to my surprise I saw a 90 line RC in the middle of the test. The RC was quite boring, long and difficult to read. But I managed.

On the previous GMAT exam I had scored 590 Q47V28. So, when I saw the 450( 10% percentile) staring right at my face I couldn't believe it! It is just impossible. Either, with age, I am going senile or I did really bad. I am confused. Has anyone heard of computer errors while scoring? Is it possible?
Intern
Intern
Another thing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 20:00
I was able to answer 85% of the SC, RC and CR questions of the OG. ALso, I was able to answer 90% of the quantitative questions with full confidence. So two I believe there are two possibilites; I did bad or computer error. But the difference in the scores is too high. I was hoping for atleast 650ish.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 21:17
Avtar, I'm sorry to hear about your story. I don't believe there could be a computer error as such with ETS. Has it been long between your two preparations? Did stress get at you? GMAT skills easily rust and although you might be strong in math/verbal today, it may not be so in a few months from now. You have to keep practising it and freshening it. I had 48Q in my previous attempt but even I feel rusted in math. I focused on Verbal in the last few months but will certainly have to go back to math. I'm not sure if you want to take the GMAT again but I would strongly suggest you to do so. Have a disciplined approach in terms of preparation. Set up a strategy and rigorously stick to it. I would sure like to see you participate more often in the forums.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2004, 08:55
Avtar:
Your whole expereince was bamboozling to say the least. Getting 85% questions correct in OG but ending with a 12 !!!!!!!!! scaled score is something I have never heard of. The way you have written your experience is a ample proof that your verbal skills are not that bad. moroever, you scored v 27 in your past GMAT attempt, and obvioulsy you studied more this time. I agree with what paul said that one's skills get rusty, as it happened with me in terms of maths... But frankly speaking your case is tooooooo extreme for any rational explanation.
Though It might not help, i would still urge you to write to ETS about this and request them to look into your scoring.
The bloody computer adaptive format continues to shock people across the world. I have no doubt in my mind that paper pencil based version was more accurate. I would love to convince ETS one day to change this computer adaptive format for good and replace it with something more credible. Till then, we have no choice but to fight with this necessary evil.:(
Intern
Intern
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2004, 10:27
I am thinking of writing to ETS regarding my test. The difference between my previous score and current is too much to ignore. Had I scored 550 or 570, then I would have thought that my verbal skills did not improve. Furthermore, acoording to the "myth", one need to correctly solve the first 12 problems in order to score around 45 in the quantitative part. Same goes with the verbal part. I did that. I saw difficult questions. Anyway, the saga goes on. I take the GMAT again in July.

Avtar

PS:I would love to share the questions that I saw. Because of the Non Disclosure, alas! I cannot. However, The probability questions on the GMAT are quite easy compared to the questions on the forum. There were some weird looking equations asking for the unknown. Lastly, the I think that the best preparation for the GMAT is the OG.
Intern
Intern
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2004, 10:28
I am thinking of writing to ETS regarding my test. The difference between my previous score and current is too much to ignore. Had I scored 550 or 570, then I would have thought that my verbal skills did not improve. Furthermore, acoording to the "myth", one need to correctly solve the first 12 problems in order to score around 45 in the quantitative part. Same goes with the verbal part. I did that. I saw difficult questions. Anyway, the saga goes on. I take the GMAT again in July.

Avtar

PS:I would love to share the questions that I saw. Because of the Non Disclosure, alas! I cannot. However, The probability questions on the GMAT are quite easy compared to the questions on the forum. There were some weird looking equations asking for the unknown. Lastly, the I think that the best preparation for the GMAT is the OG.
&nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2004, 10:28

Bizarre GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap