It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 173 [2], given: 124

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:10) correct 29% (01:25) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is not successful. Why is Bob unable to draw the square?

(1) The length of OD is twice that of OC.

(2) The length of OD is 4 cm.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :-)

Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Aug 2015, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 173 [2], given: 124

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 13:05
Imagine that the point is the point A then ratio of OD to OC would be side : diagonal.
Assume that ABCD is a square, then that ratio comes out the be s:s \sqrt{2} which is 1: \sqrt{2}.
Since diagonal is of maximum length in a square, the max ratio will always be 1: \sqrt{2}.
There is not point on the side of the square which can exceed this ratio if it has to be on the side of square.
1: 2 greater than 1:\sqrt{2}. Therefore, Statement 1 is sufficient to prove that a square cannot be drawn.
Statement 2 does not provide any valuable additional information and hence is insufficient.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Re: Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 00:37
(1) The length of OD is twice that of OC.

the largest distance between any two points within a square is the diagonal.

if the side of the square is A then the diagonal is Aroot2, as per the question though OD=2OC .The square is thus not possible to draw with the given criteria . Thus sufficient

(2) The length of OD is 4 cm.

insufficient.

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 19:56
I got this question right through intuition but can someone diagram it for me? I don't actually understand the logic behind this question.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 137

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 07:49
The longest line we can inscribe in a square is its diagnol(BD). let length of a side of square is a. Then diagnol (BD) = aroot2 (45-45-90).
Now lets draw point O near to B making OC approximately equal to BC (OC=a). Now according to question OD=2OC but we know that BD is the longest and its value is just aroot 2. So a square cannot be drawn.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 137

Re: Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 07:49

Bob plans to draw a square ABCD with a point O on the side AB but is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap