GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth vs CBS for Tech IB in SF/NYC

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Booth   Columbia   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Booth vs CBS for Tech IB in SF/NYC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 19:22
Hi Guys,

I'm lucky to have been accepted into both programs. I'm sorry to create yet another thread on booth vs. cbs but does anyone know which school has better network in the Bay Area? I'm a mgmt consultant trying to transition into IB (PE later down the road). My top targets are tech groups at GS/MS preferably in bay area, but if that doesn't work out then i'd be perfectly happy with NYC.

Question to those who are saying Booth and CBS are equal for banking: based on latest employment reports, GS hired 15 from CBS and only 7 from Booth. MS hired 10 from CBS and only 5 from Booth. Isn't that a significant difference? Sure you have CS/Barclays/Citi and others that pick up the slack to make the numbers equal but isn't CBS placing better at top tier banks? Or is it that more people try to shoot for banking at CBS?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Re: Booth vs CBS for Tech IB in SF/NYC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 19:27
boothvscbs wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm lucky to have been accepted into both programs. I'm sorry to create yet another thread on booth vs. cbs but does anyone know which school has better network in the Bay Area? I'm a mgmt consultant trying to transition into IB (PE later down the road). My top targets are tech groups at GS/MS preferably in bay area, but if that doesn't work out then i'd be perfectly happy with NYC.

Question to those who are saying Booth and CBS are equal for banking: based on latest employment reports, GS hired 15 from CBS and only 7 from Booth. MS hired 10 from CBS and only 5 from Booth. Isn't that a significant difference? Sure you have CS/Barclays/Citi and others that pick up the slack to make the numbers equal but isn't CBS placing better at top tier banks? Or is it that more people try to shoot for banking at CBS?

Thanks!

Columbia's class size is twice the size of Booth's so those numbers shouldn't be surprising. I'm a Bay Area resident and IMO Booth has the stronger brand out here
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 19:56
HealthcareMBAGuy wrote:
boothvscbs wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Columbia's class size is twice the size of Booth's so those numbers shouldn't be surprising. I'm a Bay Area resident and IMO Booth has the stronger brand out here

Thanks for the reply, HealthcareMBAGuy. You're right, CBS class is significantly larger (750ish vs. 530ish). But here's the deal: I don't care how big/small the class is. Knowing myself, I'm pretty sure I'd be 12-18th on the list. Meaning that there would be around 12 to 18 candidates who would have better profiles than me or can interview better than me etc. That's just how it has been all my life. I'm usually right around the 90th percentile, so i don't know how much the tail matters (sorry for being so statistical haha).
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 01:23
boothvscbs wrote:
HealthcareMBAGuy wrote:
boothvscbs wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, HealthcareMBAGuy. You're right, CBS class is significantly larger (750ish vs. 530ish). But here's the deal: I don't care how big/small the class is. Knowing myself, I'm pretty sure I'd be 12-18th on the list. Meaning that there would be around 12 to 18 candidates who would have better profiles than me or can interview better than me etc. That's just how it has been all my life. I'm usually right around the 90th percentile, so i don't know how much the tail matters (sorry for being so statistical haha).

For the comparison purpose you may want to subtract 200 J-term students from the CBS class, who are not seeking employment. In this case class sizes are pretty equal.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Dec 2014, 14:07
I think you can't go wrong with either. a simple linkedin search for IB associates in the SF bay area search shows plenty of results from both. there were more results for columbia when I did the search, but there may overlap with columbia undergrads. whereas when searching booth its only referencing the grad school. too lazy to go through all the data

Searching for just MS/GS IB associates in the SF bay area I saw both schools represented too.

it seems to me at least geographically, it would be slightly easier to network in the bay area from chicago as opposed to NY. Columbia would have a much bigger advantage for NY groups.

personally, I'd choose based on culture/fit given how close opportunities are coming out of both, unless you're dead set on maximizing for your career goals

Originally posted by luckyseventy7 on 20 Dec 2014, 13:46.
Last edited by luckyseventy7 on 22 Dec 2014, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 20:25
snw2010 wrote:
I think you can't go wrong with either. a simple linkedin search for IB associates in the SF bay area search shows plenty of results from both. there were more results for columbia when I did the search, but there may overlap with columbia undergrads. whereas when searching booth its only referencing the grad school. too lazy to go through all the data

Searching for just MS/GS IB associates in the SF bay area I saw both schools represented too.

it seems to me at least geographically, it would be slightly easier to network in the bay area from chicago as opposed to NY. Columbia would have a much bigger advantage for NY groups.

personally, I'd choose based on culture/fit given how close opportunities are coming out of both, unless you're dead set on maximizing for your career goals

full disclosure - I worked in NYC IB, currently doing tech/finance stuff in bay area now, and will prob be attending booth next year

You really can't go wrong. At this point, you just pick the school that you feel more comfortable with!

I also echo the point about J-Term inflating the CBS denominator. While there are exceptions, the vast majority of J-Termers are either sponsored, family business, or entrepreneurs. Also, of those who *do* recruit, it is mostly for consulting because of the way banks hire, J-Termers aren't really even considered.

Also, finance is technically "down" at CBS (35% of the class entering finance versus a historical of ~50%). However, it's not because of lack of recruiter interest, but because of lack of student interest - there's been a huge shift to consulting and investment management. Last year, pretty much everyone who wanted to do IBD got a job at a good firm. Unfortunately, probably only half of those who wanted to do consulting or IM did. So from a supply and demand perspective, CBS might be a good choice.

From a Bay Area perspective, it does seem like Booth and CBS are pretty similar. If you had a Haas accept, I'd wager it'd be better to be there for recruiting purposes, but given it's NYC versus Chicago, it doesn't really seem to matter.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 00:10
QiuYidio wrote:
snw2010 wrote:

full disclosure - I worked in NYC IB, currently doing tech/finance stuff in bay area now, and will prob be attending booth next year

You really can't go wrong. At this point, you just pick the school that you feel more comfortable with!

I also echo the point about J-Term inflating the CBS denominator. While there are exceptions, the vast majority of J-Termers are either sponsored, family business, or entrepreneurs. Also, of those who *do* recruit, it is mostly for consulting because of the way banks hire, J-Termers aren't really even considered.

Also, finance is technically "down" at CBS (35% of the class entering finance versus a historical of ~50%). However, it's not because of lack of recruiter interest, but because of lack of student interest - there's been a huge shift to consulting and investment management. Last year, pretty much everyone who wanted to do IBD got a job at a good firm. Unfortunately, probably only half of those who wanted to do consulting or IM did. So from a supply and demand perspective, CBS might be a good choice.

From a Bay Area perspective, it does seem like Booth and CBS are pretty similar. If you had a Haas accept, I'd wager it'd be better to be there for recruiting purposes, but given it's NYC versus Chicago, it doesn't really seem to matter.

thank you all for such insightful feedback! I'm pretty much leaning towards CBS for its location, value focused curriculum. I was comparing classes at both schools and Booth's curriculum is pretty much entirely quant focused. Although when you look at value focused funds / PE firms, both schools seem to have fairly well represented alumni, so I guess the type of classes you take doesn't really matter..

My other fear is what if I decide to do something other than "finance in NYC" someday. Booth has better ranking and seems to have much better recognition than CBS in pretty much everything besides finance. Should I take that into consideration (even though I'm 100% set on IB at this point)?

By the way, QiuYidio, I was worried about that 50% to 35% drop in finance recruiting when I saw it in employment report. Thanks for clarifying that it's student driven!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 00:28
boothvscbs wrote:
QiuYidio wrote:
snw2010 wrote:

thank you all for such insightful feedback! I'm pretty much leaning towards CBS for its location, value focused curriculum. I was comparing classes at both schools and Booth's curriculum is pretty much entirely quant focused. Although when you look at value focused funds / PE firms, both schools seem to have fairly well represented alumni, so I guess the type of classes you take doesn't really matter..

My other fear is what if I decide to do something other than "finance in NYC" someday. Booth has better ranking and seems to have much better recognition than CBS in pretty much everything besides finance. Should I take that into consideration (even though I'm 100% set on IB at this point)?

By the way, QiuYidio, I was worried about that 50% to 35% drop in finance recruiting when I saw it in employment report. Thanks for clarifying that it's student driven!

One other thing to consider is that CBS has easy access to school-time internships. I'm doing an internship at a VC fund right now, and as a relative newbie to the field, what I'm learning blows my Intro to Venturing class out of the water. Also, the faculty and speakers we have access to are unreal. Mark Zurack, a pre-IPO GS partner taught my Capital Markets class. Bruce Greenwald taught my Strategy class. Peter Thiel and Al Gore were on campus this semester for a round table. The list goes on. I'm sure Chicago can boast of similar things, but still some more data points you may want to put into your comparison. They WL'd me so I didn't have your luxury of researching both :)

Oh, I should probably note that the finance drop is also administration (and probably admissions) driven. After the market collapse, I think CBS realized the folly of being so tied to Wall Street. There seems to be a pretty concerted effort to add East Coast Tech to the association cloud when thinking of Columbia. I was very surprised by the number of classmates launching startups, as well as the resources they are putting in front of us. They're by no means "there" yet, but that definitely seems to be the push.

In terms of reputation... my personal opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree, is that after your first job or two, it doesn't really matter what school you came from - with the exception of Harvard and Stanford. You're not going to be known as "the Columbia MBA" or "the Sloan MBA". (Hopefully), you'll be known as "the GS VP" or "the McKinsey Director". Given your use of the word "some day", I figure that's far enough in the future that your accomplishments will outshine your MBA.
GMAT Club Bot
Booth vs CBS for Tech IB in SF/NYC   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2014, 00:28

Booth vs CBS for Tech IB in SF/NYC

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste