Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Booth or Stern?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q162 V170
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Booth vs. Stern [#permalink]
billmurray wrote:
That being said, I've heard lots of break-up stories associated with business school and long-distance makes it especially hard. However, if you got into these schools I'm sure you have what it takes to make it work if it's a priority for you. Does he?

If I were in your shoes, I would take Booth and put my career first. If I were in your shoes and married (which I happen to be), I would take NYU.

As it turns out, I faced a similar dilemma. I'm also in NYC and was admitted into a local MBA program. My spouse and I will relocate because the other school is a better fit for my career and because my spouse is just finishing school and at a good point for a transition. However, if my spouse had a great career opportunity here in NYC, I would probably stay here for my MBA. If we were dating without a "life-long commitment" (marriage, 6+ yrs relationship, whatever you want to call it), I would probably relocate to the better MBA program for me regardless of my partner's situation. For me, it's one of those life decisions in which the specifics of and the commitment to the relationship can make a big difference in your decision-making. Optimize for one or two? Prioritize career or relationship? I made it a group decision and am lucky to have gotten the support I was looking for from my partner.

A tough decision, but a good one to have. Either choice will be great. Congrats!

Thanks for that! A very tough choice indeed. A first world problem. :-)

Partner and I have been together for 2 years, live together for 1 year, so pretty committed. He is incredibly supportive, too: "go to Booth!" mostly probably because he does not want to be the one to tell me not to go to a dream school. However, he would be ecstatic if i stayed. He is at the point in his career when moving should be done carefully, only to better positions, so he cannot follow me for 2 years.
I am aware and concerned about the relationship splits reputation of MBA programs. Cannot decide though: the more committed the relationship, the more i should prioritize it and and stay here? Or the more committed the relationship the more secure it is and i should be free to go. MBA takes less than 2 years.

I do want to come home and see him every night. But maybe I'll be too busy in the the next two years anyway?

On the other hand I did not go to a prestige undergrad, and i did not major in business, so I want to maximize my MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: Booth vs. Stern [#permalink]
anna126m wrote:
Thanks for that! A very tough choice indeed. A first world problem. :-)

Partner and I have been together for 2 years, live together for 1 year, so pretty committed. He is incredibly supportive, too: "go to Booth!" mostly probably because he does not want to be the one to tell me not to go to a dream school. However, he would be ecstatic if i stayed. He is at the point in his career when moving should be done carefully, only to better positions, so he cannot follow me for 2 years.
I am aware and concerned about the relationship splits reputation of MBA programs. Cannot decide though: the more committed the relationship, the more i should prioritize it and and stay here? Or the more committed the relationship the more secure it is and i should be free to go. MBA takes less than 2 years.

I do want to come home and see him every night. But maybe I'll be too busy in the the next two years anyway?

On the other hand I did not go to a prestige undergrad, and i did not major in business, so I want to maximize my MBA.

It sounds like you want Booth and if he is supporting you in the decision, I say go for it! I have the same questions about how exactly an MBA will impact our relationship. We both know it will be stressful on the relationship at times, but at the same time I feel that having a healthy loving relationship will make us stronger ceteris paribus. Also, a silver lining is that we can skip the whole b school hookup scene that I'm sure is a drain of time and emotions (albeit well worthwhile investment for single students, I'm sure).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It really comes down to whether you believe that the opportunities that Booth will offer are significantly better than Stern, to the point that it's worth the potential strain on your relationship. I think most people will agree that Booth is the better school but I wouldn't overlook the value of being able to network and recruit in NYC, particularly given the fact that it's ultimately where you want to be. I don't think prestige is worth worrying about, Booth is firmly a top 5 program but no one will look down on a Stern MBA--both are fantastic programs. If it were apples to apples, I would say Booth. However, given your commitment to your relationship coupled with your desire to be in NYC post-grad, I think the balance clearly shifts in favor of Stern. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tex03 wrote:
It really comes down to whether you believe that the opportunities that Booth will offer are significantly better than Stern, to the point that it's worth the potential strain on your relationship.

Academically i know Booth is slightly better, with many faculty members winning awards (though does this really mean I will learn more in my "Accounting I" class?)
I am not sure whether the opportunities for recruiting are better at Booth. I can see that McKinsey recruits a lot of grads from Booth, but i suspect this might be simply because booth students choose to recruit for positions in Cleveland and other less desirable places more often than Sternies. How would i go about determining whether Stern or Booth offer better recruiting opportunities?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q162 V170
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
anna126m wrote:
Tex03 wrote:
It really comes down to whether you believe that the opportunities that Booth will offer are significantly better than Stern, to the point that it's worth the potential strain on your relationship.

Academically i know Booth is slightly better, with many faculty members winning awards (though does this really mean I will learn more in my "Accounting I" class?)
I am not sure whether the opportunities for recruiting are better at Booth. I can see that McKinsey recruits a lot of grads from Booth, but i suspect this might be simply because booth students choose to recruit for positions in Cleveland and other less desirable places more often than Sternies. How would i go about determining whether Stern or Booth offer better recruiting opportunities?

The Booth employment report breaks full-time hires down by geography. Booth sends 30.5% of its class to Chicago, 18.4% to New York, 11.9% to the Bay Area. The most it could send to Cleveland is 3%.

Booth is getting more kids into MBB because it is a much stronger school for consulting. Not because of its location. If your goal is MBB, Booth wins hands down.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
anna126m wrote:
Tex03 wrote:

If you are dead set on MBB, Booth is the better choice. Regarding Stern, I read that roughly 30% of students recruiting for consulting got MBB offers (not sure how this compares to other programs). When it comes to tech, it entirely depends on what exactly you are looking for, Booth is underrated in tech and I'm sure would place quite well. However, living in NYC would make recruiting quite a bit easier and potentially more successful for local companies, as the previous post mentioned. Again, while I think most agree that Booth is a higher rated program, your personal situation likely dictates that Stern is a better fit and you'd probably enjoy the next two years quite a bit more than you would in trying to nurture a long distance relationship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for everyone's input. I chose Booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I turned down a free ride from NYU to go to Booth so clearly I'm biased but on all objective measures Booth is a much better school. It stinks that you didn't get much money but you can definitely negotiate with the Admissions department (that does for every school) for more money. If you're going into IB, while NYU has the location edge, every bank has a large presence at Booth and any student who wanted a banking internship got one. From friends at other M7 schools, banks reached out to candidates that were going into different fields such as Consulting or Tech to see if they were interested in a Banking career. I don't think that happened at NYU but I might be wrong.

If you're going into Tech or Consulting, it's fairly easy to get into those friends as well if you take the required steps. Over 30% of the student body is going into consulting and a sizable chuck (15-20%) are going into Tech.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts