It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 83

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Schools: NYU STERN
Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 20:38
Hey All...

I work for a company that recently laid off 7,000 people including myself and almost all 1000 people in my Northern CA office. My boss was offered a higher level job within the company in NY and talked to me about moving to NY today and taking a higher level position. She is concerned however because she knows I was waitlisted to Stern and doesn't want me to run off if I get in...

Stern doesn't provide waitlist managers and I am not sure what to do. If there is no hope of getting into school there is no point in giving up this job but I also dont' want to screw my boss.... Furthermore, I will get a pretty nice bonus if I agree to move but if I leave before a certain period of time (say if I got into school) I will be screwed because I have to sign a contract and pay it all back!

Anyone have any ideas??? Too much happening at once!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Location: Evanston, IL
Re: Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 21:11
hardaway7 wrote:
Hey All...

I work for a company that recently laid off 7,000 people including myself and almost all 1000 people in my Northern CA office. My boss was offered a higher level job within the company in NY and talked to me about moving to NY today and taking a higher level position. She is concerned however because she knows I was waitlisted to Stern and doesn't want me to run off if I get in...

Stern doesn't provide waitlist managers and I am not sure what to do. If there is no hope of getting into school there is no point in giving up this job but I also dont' want to screw my boss.... Furthermore, I will get a pretty nice bonus if I agree to move but if I leave before a certain period of time (say if I got into school) I will be screwed because I have to sign a contract and pay it all back!

Anyone have any ideas??? Too much happening at once!


1 in your hand is better than 2 in the bush. If you really want to go to Stern, I'd call them up and see where you're at and get a yes or no. But in all honesty, I wouldn't throw away a good job and promotion on the hope that you get off of one Waitlist.

My two cents. You can always reapply for b-school next year (or convince NYU to defer if you do get in). If you hold out for b-school and don't get in, you're out of b-school and forgone an opportunity.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 21:25
Quote:
1 in your hand is better than 2 in the bush. If you really want to go to Stern, I'd call them up and see where you're at and get a yes or no. But in all honesty, I wouldn't throw away a good job and promotion on the hope that you get off of one Waitlist.

My two cents. You can always reapply for b-school next year (or convince NYU to defer if you do get in). If you hold out for b-school and don't get in, you're out of b-school and forgone an opportunity.


I agree.

Also, does your boss know that if you don't get in this year, you'll be reapplying in the fall? Would she/he still be willing to promote you if they knew you were leaving in a year?

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 83

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Schools: NYU STERN
Re: Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 21:54
Thanks guys... I guess it can't hurt to call Stern. I mean waitlist is a long-shot... As far as my boss, I don't think she'd mind if I applied in the Fall again- but I am not getting any younger (I'll be 29 at the end of the year) and hoped to go this year.

I just think it's safest for me not to sign any contracts for bonuses and commit to 2 years if I have the intention of reapplying...

I pray I get in this year but if not - I suppose the next application season is not too far away!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted!   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2009, 21:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Boss Hesitant To Promote because Waitlisted!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.