Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1815 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a conside [#permalink]
CharuKapoor wrote:
Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential even if the space station project were to contribute no new knowledge about space or Earth that could not otherwise be obtained. For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.

The argument makes the assumption that

(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and not by robots alone

(B) the capacities of astronauts are typical of those of ordinary human beings

(C) no unforeseen medical problems will arise on the first mission to explore Mars

(D) a mission to Mars will be the first of many missions that will explore the solar system

(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems

The word 'insurmountable' ruined the day otherwise it was no brainer.
Negating A breaks the assumption and the passage - that the exploration of Mars will NOT be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft but by robots alone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a conside [#permalink]
GMATNinja
I got the question right but not sure that the reason I eliminated E was correct

Could you see if my line of reasoning makes sense?

(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems

Using the negation technique : Living in spaceship for an extended time DOES NOT present insurmountable medical problems

This means that living in the spaceship will not bring up really tough problems, but can help with identifying small or medium level of medical problems which will help to discover human potential for a mission on mars, hence it holds up and I eliminated it

I'm not too sure if this makes sense? - so thought I should ask you
( As you have always said finding 4 wrong choices is more important :P )
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts