It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 368 [0], given: 0

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 03:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal Peru, the Mochica developed their own elaborate society, based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting other wild and domestic resources.

(A) based on cultivating such crops like corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and shellfish, and exploiting

(B) based on the cultivation of such crops as corn and beans, the harvesting of fish and seafood, and the exploitation of

(C) and basing it on the cultivation of crops like corn and beans, harvesting fish and seafood, and the exploiting of

(D) and they based it on their cultivation of crops such as corn and beans, the harvest of fish and seafood, and exploiting

(E) and they based it on their cultivating such crops like corn and beans, their harvest of fish and shellfish, and they exploited

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Re: coastal Peru [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 06:15
one more for B..

All the noun phrases shud be parallel..

cultivation, harvesting of, exploitation..

moreover, like is wrong.. when giving examples..

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 06:24
Agreed that (B) is most parallel in structure, however my only concern is that (B) states "harvesting fish and seafood...." - wouldn't "seafood" change the original meaning of the sentence, "harvesting of fish and shellfish" instead?
Can shellfish be equated with seafood?

Neochronic wrote:
one more for B..

All the noun phrases shud be parallel..

cultivation, harvesting of, exploitation..

moreover, like is wrong.. when giving examples..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 12:13
The Correct usage here is Such as.

That brings down my options to option B and D. However in option D Parallelism is not maintained hence eliminating D.

I would prefer Option B which uses Such as and maintains parallelism cultivation,harvesting and exploitation.

In Option B, am skeptical regarding the usage of "such crops as" as opposed to usage of "crops such as" . Isnt Such as an Idiom?? Can we insert word in between such and as? :?

Wud appreciate ur clarification:-)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 14:03
krishireddy wrote:
The Correct usage here is Such as.

That brings down my options to option B and D. However in option D Parallelism is not maintained hence eliminating D.

I would prefer Option B which uses Such as and maintains parallelism cultivation,harvesting and exploitation.

In Option B, am skeptical regarding the usage of "such crops as" as opposed to usage of "crops such as" . Isnt Such as an Idiom?? Can we insert word in between such and as? :?

Wud appreciate ur clarification:-)

Not necessary you might have seen such words as, such a difficult task as.... all are correct usage.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2009, 20:10
The OA is B.

Agreed that (B) is most parallel in structure, however my only concern is that (B) states "harvesting fish and seafood...." - would "seafood" change the original meaning of the sentence, "harvesting of fish and shellfish" ?
Can shellfish be equated with seafood? or would the change from "shellfish" to "seafood" be acceptable, since (B) is grammatically correct?

Thanks

Re: coastal Peru   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2009, 20:10

Building on civilizations that preceded them in coastal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap