Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [3]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Send PM
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think it really depends on where you are trying to go and your personal style.

Low End: Target has great suits. I wore one to a Kellogg event and everyone kept telling me how great my suit was, and I normally wear designer (Bloomingdales) but I didnt have a black, navy or grey suit for this weekend event. I wore a grey suit (dk grey) blue dress shirt, pearl earrings and necklace, and navy pumps.

Mid Price (But Designer): Marshalls, TJ Max- yeah you will have to search but you can find some really nice suits there for 1/2 price. I think Banana R. suits are non-traditional and can be too fashion forward and the fit is not perfect.

Fashion High End: Ralph Lauren, Elie Tahari, Theory
Elie Tahari is my favorite next Ralph Lauren. The suits fit right, not too big or small, they have a more modern look and young attitude. My Theory pants are great, as they do not wrinkle, stain resistant, and always look good, year after year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
It really depends what you are interviewing for. If you are in banking you will need to go higher end (ie: brooks brothers, ralph lauren etc). If not you can probably do JCrew, Banana Republic etc. It'll also depend on your personal taste and tolerance. I've heard you can get lucky and find some good deals at TJ Max etc. However, I personally have zero tolerance for sorting through racks and racks of clothes and would gladly pay more to avoid this experience. It's about what works well for your body as well. I'm petitie so Banana and JCrew fit me really well. That might not be the case for someone else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Your right. It def depends on your shape too. I am 5'3 short, petite with curves so I need my suits tailored in the waist.
Suits with any decorations tend to look to sexy on me. So I stay away from decorative buttons, fancy tops. Dont decorate any areas of your body that can cause distractions. Most of the times your interviewing with men.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
I believe that you can find some nice suits (not expensive) from Zara.. check out the Zara Woman line if you want the better looking ones.. although you can also find nice ones in Zara Basic.

Masimmo Dutti also has a nice selection of suits. Most of my suits are black or black with pin stripes.. I used to be client-facing all the time.

For interviews do you usually wear skirts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
For interviews I will always wear skirts, it is the more traditional way. Normally I am not a very traditional type, but when it comes to recruiting I think it traditional is the best way to go.
At interviews I will wear skirt, shirt and just a thin white-gold necklace.

I used to live in the US until 3 years ago, and while I was there I had not heard of Zara and H&M. Now I live in Europe, and when I moved to Europe I discovered Zara, H&M, Mango and Cotton and I like all of them a lot so I am really glad that these brands are also present in the US now.

Also, do you girls think it is appropriate to wear boots to interview?
I am applying to schools located in cold parts of the US therefore I think during the recruiting season the weather will be cold. I don't know if it is appropriate to wear boots & a skirt (I just don't like the way that combination looks). But on the other hand I don't know if it is appropriate to wear pumps when there is snow outside :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
You can definitely find Zara in the US :-D

I still think that pumps is the way to go for interviews, I just don't like the look of boots with formal business attire, especially if you're interviewing with an i-bank or consulting firm.

My friend's sister has worked in IB for a couple of years, now she moved to HF, when she looked at suits.. she would only choose these 3 colors:
1. black
2. black
3. black

LOL.. this is what she said about grey:.. "oh, this is pushing it!"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Send PM