It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business attire for women

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.44
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 21:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Prudence wrote:
What are the absolute must haves before you move to start school in Chicago (or any other place with very cold winters?) I read somewhere in the thread about a dress coat. Any other suggestions? I'm moving from India so I'm really clueless :?

The best coat for cold weather is a wool peacoat, because it works for a variety of weather and is fairly formal looking. Do not buy anything with less than 70% wool content and make sure it is past your knees.
If you are in Chicago, you might want an additional puffy coat filled with down feathers. Also past your knees. Make sure it is real down and not polyester fiberfill. This is not acceptable for formal occassions, but it will keep you warm.

IU doesn't get cold enough to need the latter, but I'm a former Chicago resident.

If you are in Chicago, you might want to consider also getting a "bar coat," which is a cheap coat that you don't mind getting stolen/stomped on/soaked with beer.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.44
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 21:22
ca662 wrote:
In my experience, the fist few days people were always in business casual. We were encouraged to be business casual everyday in case an employer comes to campus or we run into someone "important".

The reality is, it gets kind of annoying to be business casual every day so it really becomes casual w/out going to extremes.

Jeans are fine though. I only really dress up for employer presentations, final presentations or important events.

On another note, I want to share something with you that was extremely useful for me.
I found my internship through pymetrics, a neuroscience game-based career assessment tool that matches you with companies and jobs you are compatible with. The company was founded by two women :) - HBS and MIT grads

Its FREE, fun and easy.

http://bit.ly/1dYNtaT

Best tip I have: if they give you a locker, keep a pair of dress shoes and a strechy work dress that doesn't need to be ironed in ot. You will never miss another presentation or speaker because you will always have clothes

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [1], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As a female who spent many years in admissions, I can appreciate that somehow this topic is more challenging for women than men. One thing I like to encourage women to think about is that you don't have to check your style at the door of MBA programs. I encourage women to find a few outfits that work well dressed up or down, that are unique to you and have some accessories that show your style. They can all be subtle, but those subtle things about how you present yourself can also be helpful in your job search too. So try not to shop where everyone else shops, find a few statement accessories and build your wardrobe around these! I agree that keeping something in your locker is always a good idea so you never miss a chance to meet someone. Also, build around neutrals- navy or khaki or black and then you will find it easier to work from that base.

bloomaces wrote:
ca662 wrote:
In my experience, the fist few days people were always in business casual. We were encouraged to be business casual everyday in case an employer comes to campus or we run into someone "important".

The reality is, it gets kind of annoying to be business casual every day so it really becomes casual w/out going to extremes.

Jeans are fine though. I only really dress up for employer presentations, final presentations or important events.

On another note, I want to share something with you that was extremely useful for me.
I found my internship through pymetrics, a neuroscience game-based career assessment tool that matches you with companies and jobs you are compatible with. The company was founded by two women :) - HBS and MIT grads

Its FREE, fun and easy.

http://bit.ly/1dYNtaT

Best tip I have: if they give you a locker, keep a pair of dress shoes and a strechy work dress that doesn't need to be ironed in ot. You will never miss another presentation or speaker because you will always have clothes

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
My two cents on this- and there is no right or wrong but when I was in admissions I did notice if someone had an unusual necklace or shoes or dress etc. I do think a dress with a jacket can be a nice change from the standard suit. I think while black is fine, you don't have to be always in black if you prefer another neutral such as grey or khaki or navy. You can add color with a shirt or scarf. If you want to really link to school wear an accent of the school's colors! I think that there are no "absolute" rules but that you need to look the part. Different people will have different styles and you should never stray so far from your comfort zone that you risk losing your confidence just to fit in. The right place will appreciate both you and your look and you will feel effortlessly comfortable there.
The only absolute I have is no strong perfumes as that really can be a turnoff on the admissions side and someone might have chemical sensitivities. But otherwise, use common sense and err on conservative side.

bloomaces wrote:
Dakells wrote:
It's interesting to read everyone's opinions and how strongly some people feel about them. I work in banking and have never seen a female wear a suit that wasn't black. Also, I wore patent leather FLATS to my interviews. Granted they were very nice, had some decoration, but I am super tall and have foot problems so had to go with them. Oh and my hair is below my shoulders and I wear it down to interviews, ha!

Anyways, would be curious about the following, especially if there are any current students who see this:

1) How many suits do you think is necessary for b school? I plan to recruit for brand management/marketing. What colors are recommended other than black? As mentioned, I haven't really seen women wear suits that aren't black so I'm curious what other popular colors are.

2) What is the attire for most company presentations? Is it suits, business casual? What do you usually wear to these functions?

1) Two to three suits. Mostly skirts, but one pants suit is good for cold weather. Grey is best and practically a uniform. Navy and black are acceptable. Brown or any other color is never acceptable.
2) We had business casual, which is much dresssier than it sounds. For women, it means a dress with a jacket, a skirt with a cardigan or jacket and shirt, or pants with a matching shirt and jacket. Jackets/blazer are pretty much always on the menu. Stick with mainly neutrals, no loud jewelry

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:54
Nice topic and replies are really helpful, i have tended to find business attire is less formal than I was used to in the US. i chosen my business attire from Calibreapparel they have great collection of business apparel

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 15:28
Darden2010 wrote:
Hello to all the women on this forum

I was able to find some business atire suggestions for men on this forum, but none for women.

So what is considered an acceptable business attire for women these days?
Where do you normaly shop?

When I lived in the US I bought a couple of suits from JC Penny's and Liz Claiborne

I've been getting my suits from spots like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft. H&M has some great isolates (skirts, pullovers, etc)...Macy's/Nordstrom more often than not has some decent stuff also. The issue there is that frequently you need to purchase a similar size in top/base in the suit - on the off chance that you require diverse sizes, your most logical option is presumably Banana/Ann Taylor, and so forth.

Re: Business attire for women   [#permalink] 30 May 2017, 15:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 166 posts ] 

Business attire for women

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap