Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619563 [5]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [2]
Given Kudos: 77
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 864 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619563 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Re: By confronting a devastated economy through actions such as creating t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
By confronting a devastated economy through actions such as creating the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, opening the Securities and Exchange Commission, suspending the gold standard, launching massive public works programs, and improving the morale of a demoralized nation through his fireside chats, First Inaugural address, and other motivational speeches, Franklin Roosevelt both lifted the spirits of Americans across the country and set the United States on a course that helped propel it out of the Great Depression.

(A) launching massive public works programs, and improving the morale of a demoralized nation through his fireside chats

(B) and launching massive public works programs, and improving the morale of a demoralized nation through his fireside chats

(C) and launching massive public works programs, and by improving the morale of a nation demoralized through his fireside chats

(D) and through the launch of massive public works programs, and by improving the morale of a demoralized nation through his fireside chats

(E) and launching massive public works programs, and by improving the morale of a demoralized nation through his fireside chats

Official Explanation

Franklin Roosevelt did two things to set the United States on a course to propel itself out of the depression: (1) confronting a devastated economy (2) improving the morale of the demoralized country. Both these two actions and the list of steps taken to accomplish them need to be parallel. Since the first action (followed with its list of steps) is introduced with by the second action (followed with its list of steps) should also be introduced with by.

The correct insertion into the underlined portion of the sentence should begin with and launching massive since this is the third and final step in the list of actions taken to confront a devastated economy.

The correct sentence should read: By confronting a devastated economy through {list of actions in parallel}, and by improving the morale of a demoralized nation through {list of actions in parallel}

The correct sentence should read: By confronting a devastated economy through actions such as creating the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, opening the Securities and Exchange Commission, suspending the gold standard, and launching massive public works programs, and by improving the morale of a demoralized nation through his fireside chats, First Inaugural address, and other motivational speeches, Franklin Roosevelt both...

A. the sentence is not parallel (i.e., the phrase by confronting x through y...and improving m through n is not parallel); the word and should be inserted before the word launching since launching describes the third and final step in the first series of actions Franklin Roosevelt took

B. the sentence is not parallel (i.e., the phrase by confronting x through y...and improving m through n is not parallel)

C. this sentence carries a pernicious distortion of meaning as the phrase a demoralized nation through is replaced with the phrase a nation demoralized through, which distorts the sentence to mean that Roosevelt's speeches were the source of the nation's demoralization

D. the phrase through the launch of takes away the parallelism of the list of items taken to accomplish the first action (i.e., the phrase creating..., opening..., and through the launch is not parallel)

E. the sentence is parallel (i.e., the phrase by confronting x through y...and by improving m through n is parallel)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: By confronting a devastated economy through actions such as creating t [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts