Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 01:25 It is currently 02 May 2024, 01:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
You guys crack me up.

You think THIS is bad? This is nothing. On a stress scale, this is the equivalent of ordering a decaf espresso and accidentally getting a regular.

Allow me to transport you ahead in time, on a journey through the bowels of hell. The year is 2012 and you find yourself sitting at a desk in the atrium of your dream school, staring mindlessly at your finance homework wondering how this could possibly be relevant to your more immediate pressing issue: landing an internship. Someone you barely know sits down at the table next to you. You try to ignore the conversation but he's being loud - intentionally perhaps - something about how he's got three internship offers and can't decide which to take. Your instant thought is if any of those three are from firms you are waiting to hear from; fortunately, it turns out none are. Sadly, one of your best friends who was hoping to get that Kraft gig clearly won't be. You wonder if you should tell him or just wait till they call. Suddenly a phone rings across the room - a girl jolts to life and scurries off to a corner. She returns shortly thereafter, head down. Diageo maybe? Could be, rumour has it they were making calls today. You think you recognize her from your marketing courses, but you aren't sure. This is the real walk of shame.

The guy a the other table is still yapping away about his offers and debating an M3 or an M5. Your mind starts to drift: was this worth $120K? What if it doesn't pan out? Now that you've been admitted, what if this was a mistake? Maybe you should reconsider banking, after all how bad can it be? And then you remember your days in banking and quickly shrug it off. Its 11.30, people begin scurrying outside of class and you snap out of it. You look at your finance homework once more and just can't find the motivation to continue, closing your laptop, you head to the cafeteria for another day of bland sandwiches and poorly prepared pastas. By the time you've finished lunch, there's little more you'd like to do than just go home, but unfortunately that coffee chat with Microsoft is kicking off in an hour and you know you'll have to go to have any chance of an interview.

An hour into the Microsoft meeting you come to the realization that perhaps ".NET Server Architecture Sales Manager" isn't quite as interesting as it somehow appeared last night at 1am when, in a bout of uncertainty, you foolishly decided you should just go to more events.

You finish your courses for the day and scramble to put on a clean dress shirt. Stupid pasta sauce, always get the sandwiches. Why did they make these damn lockers so small? You'd think for $100K you could get something bigger than 5 inches wide. You glance down at your BB and notice that tonight's dinner event is on the west side of town - and its snowing. Heavily. Well, it was invitation only, so you have to go. You fight traffic for 30 minutes to get to the hole in the wall restaurant realizing some partner must have picked this place with no consideration for the attendees. Walking from the car to the restaurant without covering your shoes and suit in a mix of deicing chips, snow and dirt is a challenge but you manage. You've even arrived a little early and give yourself a pat on the back for juggling this one too. Sadly, you are the first to arrive and as you sit at the bar nursing a surprisingly poorly prepared gin and tonic, you debate leaving - just as the first recruiter shows up. Dinner is a disastrously boring affair accompanied by overcooked salmon and small filets; the monotony only occasionally broken up by the girl at the end who took "open bar" too literally.

As you wait for your coma inducing tres leches, your phone rings - a blocked number - you excuse yourself momentarily. It's the firm you've been waiting on, they've called to say you haven't been selected for a 2nd round. You attempt to thank them for their time but realize the partner on the other end has already hung up. Turning around, you return to the table of six. At least the girl on the ends taken herself out of the running. You put on a fake smile and return to the pointless banter.

It's almost 11pm, why wont they just leave? Finally, the recruiters call an end to the evening... You drive home in foot deep snow - your friend calls. He heard. He didn't get that job he wanted. You want to make him feel better, but you are just too tired... and then you realize you still havent done that finance homework. Crap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
manishkris wrote:
Wow. Everybody is theorizing. Clear case of Anksietis.

My take: Around 200 candidates applied and they are planning to give everyone an admit on Dec 14th.
Anyone buying?

I like your style... :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
Someone removed my post? :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

I still see it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
BStand wrote:
rhyme wrote:

I still see it.

Weird, I cant see it anymore. How odd.

Whatever.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
BStand wrote:
rhyme wrote:

I still see it.

Weird, I cant see it anymore. How odd.

Whatever.

I still see it too. I always enjoy reading your posts - especially during these nerve-racking times, they provide some comfort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
You guys crack me up.

You think THIS is bad? This is nothing. On a stress scale, this is the equivalent of ordering a decaf espresso and accidentally getting a regular.

Allow me to transport you ahead in time, on a journey through the bowels of hell. The year is 2012 and you find yourself sitting at a desk in the atrium of your dream school, staring mindlessly at your finance homework wondering how this could possibly be relevant to your more immediate pressing issue: landing an internship. Someone you barely know sits down at the table next to you. You try to ignore the conversation but he's being loud - intentionally perhaps - something about how he's got three internship offers and can't decide which to take. Your instant thought is if any of those three are from firms you are waiting to hear from; fortunately, it turns out none are. Sadly, one of your best friends who was hoping to get that Kraft gig clearly won't be. You wonder if you should tell him or just wait till they call. Suddenly a phone rings across the room - a girl jolts to life and scurries off to a corner. She returns shortly thereafter, head down. Diageo maybe? Could be, rumour has it they were making calls today. You think you recognize her from your marketing courses, but you aren't sure. This is the real walk of shame.

The guy a the other table is still yapping away about his offers and debating an M3 or an M5. Your mind starts to drift: was this worth $120K? What if it doesn't pan out? Now that you've been admitted, what if this was a mistake? Maybe you should reconsider banking, after all how bad can it be? And then you remember your days in banking and quickly shrug it off. Its 11.30, people begin scurrying outside of class and you snap out of it. You look at your finance homework once more and just can't find the motivation to continue, closing your laptop, you head to the cafeteria for another day of bland sandwiches and poorly prepared pastas. By the time you've finished lunch, there's little more you'd like to do than just go home, but unfortunately that coffee chat with Microsoft is kicking off in an hour and you know you'll have to go to have any chance of an interview.

An hour into the Microsoft meeting you come to the realization that perhaps ".NET Server Architecture Sales Manager" isn't quite as interesting as it somehow appeared last night at 1am when, in a bout of uncertainty, you foolishly decided you should just go to more events.

You finish your courses for the day and scramble to put on a clean dress shirt. Stupid pasta sauce, always get the sandwiches. Why did they make these damn lockers so small? You'd think for $100K you could get something bigger than 5 inches wide. You glance down at your BB and notice that tonight's dinner event is on the west side of town - and its snowing. Heavily. Well, it was invitation only, so you have to go. You fight traffic for 30 minutes to get to the hole in the wall restaurant realizing some partner must have picked this place with no consideration for the attendees. Walking from the car to the restaurant without covering your shoes and suit in a mix of deicing chips, snow and dirt is a challenge but you manage. You've even arrived a little early and give yourself a pat on the back for juggling this one too. Sadly, you are the first to arrive and as you sit at the bar nursing a surprisingly poorly prepared gin and tonic, you debate leaving - just as the first recruiter shows up. Dinner is a disastrously boring affair accompanied by overcooked salmon and small filets; the monotony only occasionally broken up by the girl at the end who took "open bar" too literally.

As you wait for your coma inducing tres leches, your phone rings - a blocked number - you excuse yourself momentarily. It's the firm you've been waiting on, they've called to say you haven't been selected for a 2nd round. You attempt to thank them for their time but realize the partner on the other end has already hung up. Turning around, you return to the table of six. At least the girl on the ends taken herself out of the running. You put on a fake smile and return to the pointless banter.

It's almost 11pm, why wont they just leave? Finally, the recruiters call an end to the evening... You drive home in foot deep snow - your friend calls. He heard. He didn't get that job he wanted. You want to make him feel better, but you are just too tired... and then you realize you still havent done that finance homework. Crap.

Great post! I agree, as stressing as the process can be, its nothing like having to deal with the uncertainty of post-MBA career.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Lol... Good luck with your finance homework... Since all of us are not working let us know if you need help :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Ironhide wrote:
Lol... Good luck with your finance homework... Since all of us are not working let us know if you need help :P

Well, I finished my MBA in 2009, so the finance homework is long since off my radar. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Kudos
I just got an invite! Thank. God. So happy right now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

Damn!! You just made my day with this link... Thanks :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
jessikins231 wrote:

We need a happy dance icon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
WOW!!!!! I already thought nothing would happen today!

Congrats!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jessikins231 wrote:

Annnnndddddd Game on!!

Congrats...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
jessikins231 wrote:

Could you tell us when you submitted your application? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Etreus wrote:
jessikins231 wrote:

Could you tell us when you submitted your application? Thank you!

I submitted mine around 3pm (EST) the day before the deadline.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts