Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cambridge MiF Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Thinking about the risks to global economic growth
The fundamentals of global economic growth seem broadly positive but there are some reasons for caution, which can be understood through the savings-investment framework described in the previous blog. If savings are “too high” or investment “too low” then the equilibrium rate of interest that makes savings and investment equal may be negative. That means […]
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cambridge MiF Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Is a market determined exchange rate always a good thing?
For years there has been pressure on China to allow its exchange rate to be determined by market forces rather than by the central bank. Now that seems closer to happening but it might mean a fall in the RMB, which is not what most of China’s critics wanted. * For years, China held down […]
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Global foreign reserves are now falling
The foreign exchange reserves held by governments, having risen for over a decade, have recently fallen. This is mainly because they are being used, as intended, to protect against turbulence in financial markets that would otherwise hurt the developing economies. * Foreign reserves are assets held by governments as a safety net against abrupt changes […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Cash remains king
Despite the increasing ease of electronic payments, cash remains popular in the UK, according to the Bank of England. * Money is anything that fulfils the three functions of money: i) a means of payment; ii) a unit of account; and iii) a store of wealth. Physical cash does all of these rather well and […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Changes in the Federal Reserve’s measurement of short term interest rates
The Federal Reserve, the US central bank, is making some changes to the measurement and monitoring of the short term interest rate between banks, which is its key target for monetary policy, * Most central banks have goals such as low inflation and high employment. After experimenting over the years with tools to achieve these goals, most […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: The true story of the Euro crisis
Most economist agree on the causes of the repeated crises of the Eurozone but that explanation is not the one that many governments, and the European Commission, want you to believe. * The problems of the Eurozone – bank failures, sovereign debt crises and bailouts and above all a protracted recession and mass unemployment – […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: The IMF includes the RMB in the SDR basket
On 30 November 2015 the IMF voted to include the RMB (the Chinese “people’s currency” denominated in yuan) in the basket of currencies it uses to calculate the value of the Special Drawing Rights, from October 2016. This is largely symbolic but should encourage further international financial reform in China. * What does it actually […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

Originally posted by littlegirl on 18 Dec 2015, 20:29.
Last edited by littlegirl on 21 Jun 2016, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Davie Bowie innovated in finance too
David Bowie, among his many other creative achievements, was an innovator in finance, with the first ever intellectual property rights securitisation. * Nearly everyone seems to have been affected by the death of David Bowie, a uniquely creative and influential musical artist. I’ll add my own personal memories to the list. I think the first […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: What exactly is “the” exchange rate?
Exchange rates are ratios of the price of one currency to another. We should be careful about saying “the” exchange rate without being clear as to which particular ratio we mean and why. * Exchange rates often dominate the financial news. In 2016 the Chinese exchange rate has been frequently mentioned as a source of concern. […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Key concepts in finance: liquidity
What exactly is liquidity? The word liquidity is used in many different ways, often confusingly. It’s important to keep clear the centrally important concept of what liquidity is: the ability to turn assets into money quickly and at low cost. * It’s common to read in the financial press that central banks are keeping up […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: How can retail finance customers avoid being ripped off?
A condition for any market to work well is that consumers have enough information to make good decisions. This is rarely the case with services such as finance. * Theory, backed up by a lot of practical evidence, suggests that markets are a good way of organising many economic activities. But for markets to work, […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Key finance concepts: exchange rates
Exchange rates are among the most important macrofinancial prices, influencing many aspects of an economy. This post introduces exchange rates and their importance for macroeconomic adjustment * What is an exchange rate? An exchange rate is a ratio, the price of one currency relative to another. All prices are ratios, but normally they’re expressed in […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Key financial concepts: securities
Securities are a very important and useful piece of financial technology, including bank notes, shares and bonds. They make possible a wide range of financial transactions and provide competition to the other main source of funding, banks. * A security is a certificate representing a contract between two or more people which promises to pay […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Classifying funds: the type of contract – is it equity or debt?
Another way to classify funds that are provided by a saver to an investor is whether they are in the form of debt or equity. These are the two main forms of contract through which one person or company can provide funding to another. Note that governments, which are very important actors in the financial system, can only […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Classifying funds: the length of the contract
One of the three purposes of a financial system is to join savers to investors, to allow funds to flow from people who have a surplus to those who have a deficit (the others are to manage risk and to facilitate payments). Investors are people or organisations which try to raise funds to put into projects which […]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Master of Finance Blog: Key financial concepts: Financial markets
Financial services are provided mainly in two ways: by banks and by markets. Here we outline the key features of financial markets * A market is a very general concept of any arrangement which brings together users for mutual advantage. We’re used to thinking about markets as mainly for goods and services but the concept is […]
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts