Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS (R2 - Ding), Stanford (R2 - Admit), Wharton(R2 - Admit)
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: IT Consulting (3.5 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:HBS (R2 - Ding), Stanford (R2 - Admit), Wharton(R2 - Admit)
 Q50  V41
WE 1: IT Consulting (3.5 yrs)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
If you legitimately need an internship to achieve your career goals, then forsaking it just to craft yourself as being a better fit for J-term is a really bad idea, IMO.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Moss wrote:
If you legitimately need an internship to achieve your career goals, then forsaking it just to craft yourself as being a better fit for J-term is a really bad idea, IMO.

Like I said, I don't necessarily need an internship because my career goals are pretty defined. So maybe the J-term is the way for me to go anyway. But in your opinion, how much value added is an internship in terms of helping you to get a job upon graduation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
mba23 wrote:
Moss wrote:

Like I said, I don't necessarily need an internship because my career goals are pretty defined. So maybe the J-term is the way for me to go anyway. But in your opinion, how much value added is an internship in terms of helping you to get a job upon graduation?

I believe that securing a competitive internship in my industry will be the single most important thing I do to position myself for post-graduate recruitment. What else could possibly be more of a value add than an internship? Could the classroom experience really help you more than on-the-job experience? Could you really come up with better evidence of you being able to hack it in your field than having one firm kick the tires for 3 months and still want you back? Is there a better way to prepare for interviews than to do the job for a summer? Is there a better way to make connections in your industry than to be in that industry? Not only that, but if you start J-term you miss out on all the first year fall recruiting events, which in and of themselves are great for establishing a network for getting that post-grad job.

And you may find that you hate the field you intended on recruiting into! What a small opportunity cost you paid for that information -- just 1 summer -- and you get a whole 9 more months to figure out what you want to do instead. If you started full time in a career you hate you may be stuck in that job for awhile and possibly have to take the first thing that comes along -- there won't be any information sessions out in the real world.

The internship isn't to help you define your career goals -- you should already know that (essay #1!). The internship is to help you reach your career goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
Send PM
Just got my first ding. No CBS for me.

I don't feel quite as bad as I might otherwise because Georgetown just called 5 minutes ago to tell me I was accepted. Great timing.

I'm not sure if I would have stood a better chance had I not applied in late January - but word to the wise: don't apply in late January. :)

Good luck to everyone else!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Wharton, Duke, Yale, Georgetown, Emory
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Got my ding email today as well. Oh well..at least I know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:All R2 - Booth(attending w/$), Kellogg(WL w/int then ding), CBS(ding w/int), Harvard(ding), NYU(admit), UCLA PT(admit), USC PT(admit)
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Just got my ding as well - definitely hurts as CBS was my first choice, but I also was accepted today by Booth so at least that took some of the edge off. A little bit surprised b/c of the quick turnaround and b/c I consider myself a pretty good interviewer, so not sure what they were looking for. Cest la vie.

Submit 1/5
Invite 3/3
Interview 3/8
Complete 3/11
Ding 3/15
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Kellogg, HBS (Int), Sloan, CBS (Int)
 Q45  V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
saritalr wrote:
Just got my first ding. No CBS for me.

I don't feel quite as bad as I might otherwise because Georgetown just called 5 minutes ago to tell me I was accepted. Great timing.

I'm not sure if I would have stood a better chance had I not applied in late January - but word to the wise: don't apply in late January. :)

Good luck to everyone else!

Bummed to hear that. Good luck with all of your other apps, and congratulations on GTown!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the cryptic "your status has been updated" email

Submitted 1/10
Under Review 1/31
Interview invite 3/15

"We will contact you within 24 hours with interview scheduling instructions."

Just when I thought all hope was lost!

25/M/3.2/top3UK/730/4yrWE (2 consulting, 2 Corp Dev for Fortune 500), decent ECs

C
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Kellogg, HBS (Int), Sloan, CBS (Int)
 Q45  V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
chandler79 wrote:
Just got the cryptic "your status has been updated" email

Submitted 1/10
Under Review 1/31
Interview invite 3/15

"We will contact you within 24 hours with interview scheduling instructions."

Just when I thought all hope was lost!

25/M/3.2/top3UK/730/4yrWE (2 consulting, 2 Corp Dev for Fortune 500), decent ECs

C

Congrats, man! That's gotta feel great.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Management and Strategy
Schools:Kellogg
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 4 years Technology Consulting
Send PM
Got my ding yesterday. Definitely hurts (CBS being the only school I applied to) but learned a lot from the process and looking to put in a couple of Round 1 apps next year. Here is my timeline:

Submitted: 12/23
Under Review: 1/6
Interview Invite: 2/16
Interview: 2/28
Complete: 3/8
Ding: 3/14

International/Male/720 GMAT/3.7GPA/Consulting with 2.5 years WE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I just got my ding today as well. I am really crushed.

700 GMAT / 3.9 GPA from top 10 US university / restructuring investment banking experience.

I did apply in early February so not sure if that is what hurt me. I was an idiot and did not know about the effective December "deadline". Does anyone have any feedback? Should I re-apply? How much can I realistically expect to change/improve over the summer?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I wonder whats taking CBS so long to send the ding mail. No interview invite yet. Its been over 2 months!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
tiggy wrote:
I just got my ding today as well. I am really crushed.

700 GMAT / 3.9 GPA from top 10 US university / restructuring investment banking experience.

I did apply in early February so not sure if that is what hurt me. I was an idiot and did not know about the effective December "deadline". Does anyone have any feedback? Should I re-apply? How much can I realistically expect to change/improve over the summer?

Thanks in advance.

Applying in february(after Jan 5 for that matter) is like applying R3 to other schools. I don't understand why that is so hard for many to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Can anyone please share some information on how/ at what exact point is the information about the fellowships/ financial aid provided to the admitted students?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As someone who applied the first week in Feb but has already interviewed and had my status go "complete" at the same time as those who applied in Late Dec/Jan, I don't understand why that means my chances are that much worse as a Feb applicant compared to those who applied earlier?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
sialon wrote:
As someone who applied the first week in Feb but has already interviewed and had my status go "complete" at the same time as those who applied in Late Dec/Jan, I don't understand why that means my chances are that much worse as a Feb applicant compared to those who applied earlier?

Maybe you would have gotten in R3 at other schools. CBS reads applications in order submitted; meaning that people who submitted before Jan5 are likely to have a decision on their app before those who submitted after. Most people submit Jan 5; meaning CBS could have accepted most of their class before they make decision on post Jan 5 submissions. That's not to say it is impossible to get in after Jan 5. it is just less likely like a submission in R3 versus R1/R2 would be at another school.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
It's been relatively quiet today from CBS.....
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  191   192   193   194   195  ...  198