It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 16:58
Question:
My recommender used the recommendation template made available thru the website----I learned that the questions on the template are for J-Term. Not sure why they uploaded J-term template for september ED, but this pisses me off. My recommender obviously followed the questions on the template, hence, did not answer revised questions for ED. . .

Anyone in the same shoes...?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 19:12
So - someone on Businessweek is reporting receiving a CBS interview invite on September 5th! S(he) submitted August 13th and went under review August 15th. This year apparently the application system only offers up names of alumni and their e-mails, no other background information on interviewers.

Ryguy and Tieny - you're next. :-)

ZOMG!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 20:33
solaris1 wrote:
So - someone on Businessweek is reporting receiving a CBS interview invite on September 5th! S(he) submitted August 13th and went under review August 15th. This year apparently the application system only offers up names of alumni and their e-mails, no other background information on interviewers.

Ryguy and Tieny - you're next. :-)

ZOMG!

OMG is right! (by the way, what does the Z in ZOMG stand for?) This is exciting stuff. I asked the BusinessWeek poster and he confirmed that he is a re-applicant who got dinged last year without an interview. This confirms the hypothesis that re-apps get super early interview invites (similar to the Sep. 6 invite last year). Since last year's first invites for non-reapps came around Sept. 10-11, I believe this week's mid to late week may be our time. Ay carumba.

Young TienyChesney's fall 2009 aspirant blog:

http://mbaveggie.blogspot.com

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 20:40
TienyChesney wrote:
OMG is right! (by the way, what does the Z in ZOMG stand for?)

Oh, the Z is just me a little overexcited.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ZOMG

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 06:32
Wow - so a 1st time applicant has already been accepted! Submitted 8/13, Interview Interview invite 8/27, and Admitted 9/10 (according to Businesweek.com).

Any CBS interview invites for the GMATClub early birds? I'm getting nervous....or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:11
Solaris,

That is exciting news but crazy news too. That is a far earlier timeline than anyone had last year (including re-applicants). I realize that the sample size of the posters on these (and BW's) forums is tiny, but the next person who is furthest along in the process this year is a re-applicant who just got his interview invite on 9/5 and interviewed 9/9 or 9/10 with no decision yet. I am feeling a bit skeptical since the BW poster was only posting for the 1st time when he announced his acceptance and never even posted anything else on that thread prior to his acceptance. There was lots of speculation about when interviews would start going out, and he kept silent the entire time even though he had an interview invite back on 8/27? Then 3 posts in one day after his acceptance even though it seems intuitive that one would post on BusinessWeek LESS frequently after getting accepted... I wonder if someone is pranking us...

Aw shucks, maybe I'm just being an old jealous fart :? I guess my official reaction is that I'm happy for him and getting antsy! hehe

Last edited by TienyChesney on 11 Sep 2008, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:19
TienyChesney wrote:
Solaris,

That is exciting news but crazy news too. That is a far earlier timeline than anyone had last year (including re-applicants). I realize that the sample size of the posters on these (and BW's) forums is tiny, but the next person who is furthest along in the process this year is a re-applicant who just got his interview invite on 9/5 and interviewed 9/9 or 9/10 with no decision yet. I am feeling a bit skeptical since the BW poster was only posting for the 1st time when he announced his acceptance and never even posted anything else on that thread prior to his acceptance. There was lots of speculation about when interviews would start going out, and he kept silent the entire time even though he had an interview invite back on 8/27? Then 3 posts in one day after his acceptance even though it makes more sense that one would become less involved with BW posting afterwards... I would if someone is pranking us...

Aw shucks, maybe I'm just being an old jealous fart :? I guess my official reaction is that I'm happy for him and getting antsy! hehe

eh... i'm so frustrated now... :evil:

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Schools: The School that shall not be named

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:22
500+ spots left.....
You just need one.
Don't worry :-D

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:29
He probably did not know about business week forum before..or probably did not want to waste time browsing forums like we do :)..

just my speculations.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 08:07
fatb wrote:
500+ spots left.....
You just need one.
Don't worry :-D

Of course you guys are right. I need to slay the competitive demons and tap into my collaborative, team-oriented side!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 09:14
he did submit on 8/13, so if he submitted at 12:01am on 8/13 then he was the first app under review. He's probably geniune.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 18:28
There were a bunch of people who submitted 8/13 (or even earlier!) and going by 45-50% of applicants typically interviewed, we are yet to hear of anything other than the 2 interview invites disclosed on Businessweek. That seems a little odd.

sonibubu wrote:
he did submit on 8/13, so if he submitted at 12:01am on 8/13 then he was the first app under review. He's probably geniune.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 19:38
I agree, he doesnt sound genuine! looks like a troll post to me!

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 11:11
I was just on BW and I'm a little surprised by the lack of interview invites. Around 10 people submitted on the first or second day and it's now been over 4 weeks for them. Last time the majority of interview invites were out within 4 weeks for the August submitters.

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 11:21
To put some positive spin on this, the longer you wait for your interview invite, the earlier you receive your post-interview decision! :)

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I was just on BW and I'm a little surprised by the lack of interview invites. Around 10 people submitted on the first or second day and it's now been over 4 weeks for them. Last time the majority of interview invites were out within 4 weeks for the August submitters.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 14:21
[quote="solaris1"]To put some positive spin on this, the longer you wait for your interview invite, the earlier you receive your post-interview decision! :)

Hey Solaris, what do you mean by that? Are you merely pointing out that the 12 week notification period is fixed and thus an increase in one interval (time until interview invite) necesssarily entails a decrease in another interval (time until decision)?

Or do you mean something else entirely? I'm hoping you have some secret quote from the Adcom stating that they pity the late interview invitees and thus render decisions for them super fast! :-D

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 15:07
tieny, i distinctly remember it being said on one of the BW CBS threads that the later you get your interview invite, the more reviews your application has undergone, and thus lesser final deliberation is needed about whether to make an offer or not. if the first reviewer requests an interview, you will still have to wait for the second and final committee review before a decision is rendered. in fact most folks who get admit decisions a day or two after their interviews seemed to have waited longer than the 3-4 week average for interview invites.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 15:20
I would be interested in seeing the statistics of the students who got admitted and those who got dinged with a super late interview invite. To me, as u rightly said, a super late invite means that the 1st reviewer dint like u to request an interview. That should increase the odds of a ding!

Ah, the very talk of "dings" makes me nervous!

[/quote]
solaris1 wrote:
tieny, i distinctly remember it being said on one of the BW CBS threads that the later you get your interview invite, the more reviews your application has undergone, and thus lesser final deliberation is needed about whether to make an offer or not. if the first reviewer requests an interview, you will still have to wait for the second and final committee review before a decision is rendered. in fact most folks who get admit decisions a day or two after their interviews seemed to have waited longer than the 3-4 week average for interview invites.

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 4

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 16:15
TienyChesney wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
To put some positive spin on this, the longer you wait for your interview invite, the earlier you receive your post-interview decision! :)

Hey Solaris, what do you mean by that? Are you merely pointing out that the 12 week notification period is fixed and thus an increase in one interval (time until interview invite) necesssarily entails a decrease in another interval (time until decision)?

Or do you mean something else entirely? I'm hoping you have some secret quote from the Adcom stating that they pity the late interview invitees and thus render decisions for them super fast! :-D

You will receive some sort of notification within 10 weeks of your app going complete. It is possible to receive an interview invite in Week 8 and get your decision after week 10 (because of setting up an interview, interviewer submitting feedback, etc.). All CBS commits to is having you receive some sort of notification (i.e., new information regarding your status) within 10 weeks. In other words, you are not necessarily promised a final decision within 10 weeks.

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 4

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 17:13
Indeed, ryguy.

What I am pointing out however is that if you receive and interview invite 8 weeks later, it is believed to be very likely that you would get an admit/deny decision within a few days after your interview feedback is received. On the other hand, let's say if you receive an interview invite within 3 weeks, it may be that your final decision will take 2-3 weeks to be released.

Since there's several hundred pages of CBS threads on BW, I can't exactly remember where this was said. And yes, I've gone through each and every one of them, heck it's 8pm on a Friday and this is what I'm doing for fun. :read [edit - see below]

But if you see the 2007 ED applicant spreadsheet on the 2007 CBS ED thread there, you'll notice a lot of the late October through December invites received decisions 2-3 days after their interview feedback was received. On the other hand several September and early October invites received their decisions a couple of weeks later.

I don't know, maybe I'm just grasping at straws here. :) Anything to feed my CBS obsession!

ryguy904 wrote:
You will receive some sort of notification within 10 weeks of your app going complete. It is possible to receive an interview invite in Week 8 and get your decision after week 10 (because of setting up an interview, interviewer submitting feedback, etc.). All CBS commits to is having you receive some sort of notification (i.e., new information regarding your status) within 10 weeks. In other words, you are not necessarily promised a final decision within 10 weeks.

edit - found it! here's what Ben May from CBS admissions posted on BW back in 2006:

There is no real typical turnaround time for decision after an interview because an interview can come any time in the evaluation process: after first read, after second and after going to committee. So someone who gets a committee invite will have a long period before they get the invite and a relatively fast turnaround time after the interview completes, as compared to someone who gets invited after a first read, who will get an interview invitation relatively shortly but then has to go back to be read a second time and get in the queue to go to the committee. Then there's second-read invites which are somewhere in the middle... Hope this clarifies things!

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2008, 17:13

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap