Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS - Class of 2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
BubbaWon wrote:
shels wrote:
For extra-curriculars since college, the application data form asks for a contact person for each activity.

Does HBS actually follow up on these? Is it the exception rather than the rule? Is it better to give email or phone?

Nothing to hide, just feel like I should give people a heads up if so.

I listed 3 - 2 phone #s, 1 email - and none have been contacted. Believe it's used by HBS to keep people honest.

Thats helpful BWon.. Mine have been a while, not sure what to input, maybe atleast an email...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Is there a way for recommender to add an additional generic letter besides answering three 250 word limit questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mainhoon wrote:
BubbaWon wrote:
shels wrote:
For extra-curriculars since college, the application data form asks for a contact person for each activity.

Does HBS actually follow up on these? Is it the exception rather than the rule? Is it better to give email or phone?

Nothing to hide, just feel like I should give people a heads up if so.

I listed 3 - 2 phone #s, 1 email - and none have been contacted. Believe it's used by HBS to keep people honest.

Thats helpful BWon.. Mine have been a while, not sure what to input, maybe atleast an email...

Emails will suffice, I'm sure. If they really need more info I'm sure they'll contact you. This process isn't a total vacuum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
For the essay:

What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?

Does it necessarily have to deal with academic or can it be about extra curricular activities and community? I am not totally sure how to interpret the question.

Thanks for your help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS (R2 - ding), Booth (R2 - WL - In!), Kellogg (R2 - ding), MIT Sloan (R2 - ding)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.67
WE 1: 6
Send PM
One of my "substantial accomplishments" repeats itself in the "mistakes" essay - is that a big no-no?

My reasoning is that since I consider it a big accomplishment, it's also something I learned a lot from. Considering that my accomplishment is overcoming a failure and persevering through it, I wrote about it in detail in my "mistakes" essay.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS (R2 - ding), Booth (R2 - WL - In!), Kellogg (R2 - ding), MIT Sloan (R2 - ding)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.67
WE 1: 6
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
For the essay:

What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?

Does it necessarily have to deal with academic or can it be about extra curricular activities and community? I am not totally sure how to interpret the question.

Thanks for your help

From what I've read so far, you can talk about the whole experience - not just academics. But I'd like to hear other opinions about it as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jk12 wrote:
Is there a way for recommender to add an additional generic letter besides answering three 250 word limit questions?

Can someone comment on recommendation length question...

I saw previous posts from Bubbawon that says that they do not truncate the recommendation and more than one page is fine (from adcoms blog).. I am assuming Bubbawon is an HBS admit (Blue highlighting of school), correct?

If they do not truncate the rec then it should be fine to answer longer than 250 words, esp for the last question about any additional ifnormation. My recommender's additional ifnormation answer is running in more than 700 words!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Kudos
I personally feel 700 words is too much, but if you have that then just submit it.. No one is truncating it..

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mainhoon wrote:
I personally feel 700 words is too much, but if you have that then just submit it.. No one is truncating it..

thanks mainhoon. It seems to me that no school, even HBS, would see a long recommendation as a negative if the content can not be trimmed.

Seems to me that HBS should know that even though applicant can follow directions to the letter, his recommenders may not. Right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alienfluid wrote:
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
For the essay:

Thanks for your help

From what I've read so far, you can talk about the whole experience - not just academics. But I'd like to hear other opinions about it as well.

I wrote about my undergrad experience and none of it dealt with classes - all about my extracurricular acitvities (on and off campus).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jk12 wrote:
jk12 wrote:

I saw previous posts from Bubbawon that says that they do not truncate the recommendation and more than one page is fine (from adcoms blog).. I am assuming Bubbawon is an HBS admit (Blue highlighting of school), correct?

If they do not truncate the rec then it should be fine to answer longer than 250 words, esp for the last question about any additional ifnormation. My recommender's additional ifnormation answer is running in more than 700 words!

700 does seem a bit much, dont know, bigger risk is adcom rolls eyes and says "oh come on, I'm not going to read 1.5 pages of single spaced 'additional information' when I have 200 other applications to read today"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BubbaWon wrote:
jk12 wrote:
jk12 wrote:

700 does seem a bit much, dont know, bigger risk is adcom rolls eyes and says "oh come on, I'm not going to read 1.5 pages of single spaced 'additional information' when I have 200 other applications to read today"

thanks bubbawon

will somewhere around 400 words for each question (totalling ~1200) ok in your opinion.

Seems to me that recommenders are wild cards in terms of following directions, and schools like HBS should have some standards of reasonableness in grasping this fact

In MIT_sloan info session their staff told me that they'd read much longer recommendations than their word limit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Well it comes back to the point as to why did HBS even specify a wordlimit? I would say just like essays even recs can be truncated, unless there are just so many genuine accomplishments..

If the Recommender is enthusiastic enough to write that much so be it..

G
jk12 wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

thanks mainhoon. It seems to me that no school, even HBS, would see a long recommendation as a negative if the content can not be trimmed.

Seems to me that HBS should know that even though applicant can follow directions to the letter, his recommenders may not. Right?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Managment
Schools:HBS Class of 2013
Send PM
alienfluid wrote:
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
For the essay:

Thanks for your help

I stuck with academic related issues since it says academic and not \just UG experience. I would imagine the content of the essay is far more important though since the distinction seems to be mostly semantics.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mainhoon wrote:
Well it comes back to the point as to why did HBS even specify a wordlimit? I would say just like essays even recs can be truncated, unless there are just so many genuine accomplishments..

G
jk12 wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

What is the norm for spacing/font (rec questions on the web-site dont say anything) : single-space, 12pt, times roman normal, right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jk12 wrote:
What is the norm for spacing/font (rec questions on the web-site dont say anything) : single-space, 12pt, times roman normal, right?

Yup
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mainhoon wrote:

G
jk12 wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

mainhoon, are you sure they do not truncate (i am hearing conflicting info on this - a blog mentioned in this forum says they do not; on some webpages i heard they do)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts