It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Kenan Flagler Global Executive OneMBA Applicants: 2016 Intake!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3861 [0], given: 2464

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling Kenan Flagler Global Executive OneMBA Applicants: 2016 Intake! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:01

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling Kenan Flagler Global Executive OneMBA Applicants: 2016 Intake! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:11

Global Executive OneMBA - European Residency

Global Executive OneMBA Latin America Residency

Global Executive OneMBA Asia Residency 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZFo9sBne3o

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Reflection and goals for the new year [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:20
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Reflection and goals for the new year
Like most people, you are probably getting ready to write down your New Year’s resolutions. At the end of the year, this is one of the most searched topics for improving oneself.

Before you start to write down your goals for the year ahead, take time to reflect on your growth over the past year.

Ask yourself:

• What was the most fun I had this year?
  • What did I learn this year?
  • What did I change for good this year?
  • What mistakes had the most positive impact on me this year?
  • What bad habits did I pick up this year?
  • What books or readings had the biggest impact on me this year?
These questions will help you focus and feel accomplished in the new year:

• What important projects would I like to complete this year?
  • What am I looking forward to in my personal life this year?
  • What skills would I like to sharpen this year?
  • What education or books will help me the most this year?
  • How can I increase my service to others this year?
  • How much would I like to earn this year?

To achieve success in the year to come, make time for the powerful discipline of reflection. My formula:

• End of the day: 15 minutes
  • End of the week: 30 minutes
  • End of the month: 1 hour
  • End of the quarter: 2 hours
  • End of the year: 1 day
Remember, you will be the same person you were five years from now except for two things: the people you meet and the books you read. Choose both carefully!

By Travis Wold (EMBA ’15), co-founder/idea generation, Suit Squares

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

How to become part of the top five percent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:20
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: How to become part of the top five percent
Did you write down your goals for this year? What are you working towards?

Numerous studies show that happy people know where they are going – and many of these happy people write down their lifetime goals. Why? Because they know a secret: when you write down a goal, you automatically begin moving towards it.

Below is a simple formula that will help you develop your list of lifetime goals. Make sure you cross off at least one goal from your list each year!

Create your lifetime goals list 

Write down as many goals as you can think of for each category below. Try to come up with at least 10 for each category. If you have a mentor, go over this exercise with them.

• Have
  • Do
  • See
  • Become
Done?

Congratulations! You now have a list of about 50 things to look forward to!

Work on one goal at a time. Each morning, plan your day and ask yourself, “What can I do today to move towards my number one goal?” It’s a crucial step for success that most people miss!

By Travis Wold (EMBA ’15)

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

Why services are eating the universe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 08:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Why services are eating the universe
On April 20, 2011, Marc Andreessen penned a seminal Wall Street Journal article entitled: “Why Software Is Eating The World.” This article is continually referenced as one of the most influential business articles of our time. Marc sets out an excellent case for why software is going to be the primary disruptive factor in business in the future. Now that we are a number of years removed from this prediction it has become clear that his predictions were spot on. Software has, and will continue to, eat the world.

In 2015, we saw another disruption that will shape how business and the global economy operates going forward. The concept that software fundamentally changes how business operates is augmented by an idea I call “Services Are Eating The Universe.”

In this new paradigm, software has already changed how we create business value for our customers, and now we are focused on fundamental business model shifts that will again change how businesses execute. Software changes are here, services-based business models are coming.

More simply put, “Services Are Eating The Universe” means that no longer are businesses going to create products, but that going forward, businesses will only create services.
The four horsemen of the services apocalypse
2016 is the right time for services to eat the universe because of Internet of Things (IoT), cloud-based storage and services, always on connections and mobility. The four horsemen of the “services apocalypse” are finally in a state of maturity where if you build a traditional product you are doomed to fail. You are already antiquated. You are building for a legacy buyer that will not be there to sustain your business long term.

These four components that are pushing the change to service-based business models:

Connection of everything (IoT)

IoT solutions created without a service component aren’t really IoT – they are just “things.” Connectivity of items – from home locks and light bulbs to enterprise heating and cooling systems – are giving businesses new data that will allow them to create additional revenue streams based on data and services instead of just selling “dumb things.” Anyone who is selling a “connected device” that isn’t charging a subscription fee is doing it completely wrong.

Cloud storage and services speed product design requiring a services business model.

It used to take years to create a new business idea and bring it to market. With the advent of 3D printing, cloud based technologies and software as a service, it’s never been easier to build a new business idea from inception to minimum viable product in the blink of an eye. The mantra of “fail fast” has been taken to a whole new level, allowing entrepreneurs to try new aggressive business models such as shifting products to services.

The half-life of markets is so short these days that will fundamentally change how we as a country need to be investing our financial and time-based resources (but this is better left for another post).

Always-on connections eliminate the need for offline modes in most services.

Businesses run as services have been hindered by a need for always-on connections. Connectivity has finally hit the point of ubiquity enabling service models to overtake product solutions in everything from mobile apps and gaming to traditional markets like taxi services and food delivery.

Not only is this continual connectivity changing the way we deliver products as services, it’s also changing the way we build our businesses that support these new services-based solutions. There is no longer a need for offline mode in any technology – at least not in highly developed countries and target markets. Connectivity will even eventually reach third-world countries, to the point that the term “offline” ceases to exist.

Mobility inflates user demands to the moment of need.

Mobility has completely changed the power of the customer. It used to be that customers had little control in the buying cycle. There was an information asymmetry between product manufacturers and product consumers. This inequality has been erased.

In fact, it has actually shifted to giving the customer the power and control of the products and solutions. This power shift has completely changed customer demands. Customers want their value delivered in their moment of need, and the only way to deliver in the moment of need is to sell solutions as a service. The moment of need changes based on location, it changes based on timing and it changes based on user emotion.

Without services-based business models, you can not possibly meet the changing power structure with your customers.
OPEX overtakes CAPEX
Another way to look at this paradigm shift is the fundamental change from capital expenditures (CAPEX) to operational expenditures (OPEX). Capital expenditures are the purchasing of major physical goods and assets that help a business to expand its revenue and, eventually, its profits. Operational expenditures are an ongoing cost of running and growing your business. The differences may seem minimal, but when applied to enterprise buyers, the benefits of OPEX expenditures are significant.

In contrast to capital expenditures, operating expenses are fully tax-deductible in the year that they are made. This saves money financially right out of the gate. Opex also helps you to smooth out major cash outlays in a time when your small company may not have the excess cash on hand.

OPEX operates in what I call a “pay as you grow” model. As opposed to spending $500K on a rack of compute hardware to create your business, you can now place your business into cloud services for a minimal monthly fee that grows in lockstep with your business profits.

With OPEX models, you no longer have to estimate your future capacity requirements for technology purchases and hope like hell that you don’t over or under guesstimate. You can simply use operational expenditures and not have to face the growth factor until later in time.

Finally, for the consumer, OPEX means you don’t have to outlay cash and commit to a long term investment in products that are being rethought and innovated at the fastest pace in history. Even something as trivial as a television can be turned into a service where users pay a minimal fee for a month’s usage of the content (and get the television set itself for free). An even better example is the Tesla automobile. This automobile is no longer a product – it’s really a service that gets continually upgraded from it’s manufacturer.

At some point in the future, as the product features are minimized in favor of additional services, it will make a lot of sense to pay a service fee only for a vehicle that is technically owned by someone else.

By this point it should be fairly clear that services are eating the universe. The more important question is, what does this paradigm shift mean to the business (and personal) world that we live and operate in?

As we shift from CAPEX to OPEX and from products to a world in which everything we do is service-based, there will be significant changes in how business and the economy operate.
Destruction of the concept of ownership
The first issue that comes to mind is the destruction of the concept of ownership. When I start to think about the future – in a services-based world – I no longer see a chance that my son (he’s 11) owns a car, a home or even many of the products he uses on a daily basis, when he comes of age.

The concept of ownership has always been directly tied to self-worth and status within society. As you get older, you accumulate “stuff” that you own and that nobody else can take away from you. Some people choose to own a lot of things and others choose to own less, but at the end of the day many people believe that what you own defines you. (I’m not going to get into existential debates on this topic, so I’ll leave it at that).

What matters to me isn’t the materialistic issues, but instead how a lack of ownership fundamentally changes our economy. Ownership directly impacts things such as net worth and financial leverage capability (via loans and collateral). Those that stop owning items in favor of the new services-based world will be at a disadvantage in the long term in investing and generating additional cash flow. This will drive a continued wedge between the “haves” and “have nots” of the world. Society must consider the implications of the shift of ownership from a political vantage point.
Products cease to exist
When services take over, products will eventually cease to exist. Everything from appliances, computers, televisions, coffee makers, home automation, beds and even thermostats, will eventually be 100 percent services-based offerings, commoditizing products and eventually racing them to a zero dollar value.

Consumers will pay a service fee for products that give them value-added services instead of paying for the product itself. They will pay by cash, and they will pay with their personal and private data. Examples include: Uber (replacing cars), Zipcar (also replacing cars), Spotify (replacing CDs), Netflix (no more DVDs), Rent the Runway (dresses anyone?), TurningArt (artwork rentals) and Pley (toys and Legos as a service?!).

Businesses will do the same. Instead of paying for computing hardware, they will rent it in the cloud (think Amazon, Rackspace and Azure). Instead of buying software, they will just use a service in the cloud, such as Expensify (expenses in the cloud), Zenefits (benefits in the cloud), Salesforce (CRM and sales management in the cloud) – I could go on forever. The point is that business will continue to engage the shift from capex to opex and, in doing so, will thoroughly embrace services eating the universe as products cease to exist.
Businesses adapt to new internal and external service models
Not only will the way businesses consume products and services shift, but the way businesses choose to create their outbound products must also adapt. The benefits of having services instead of products is in the area of real-time data and analytics on usage and metrics that will help enterprises to make strategic decisions.

Businesses will embrace shifting their outbound products to services for a couple of key reasons:

Services provide better understanding of your business trends, what sells, and where to invest in business growth.

When your customer buys a product from you there is no way to understand how they use that product, what type of emotion that product drives within the customer or even if they like the product at all.

Shifting to a services-based business model gives you insight into all of these data points and many, many more. By selling a service attached to – or, better yet, in place of – your product, you get continued engagement with your customer and a data-driven business.

Feature usage is key to investing on future product and business success. 

If you properly instrument your product and service, the insights you gather will help you continue to improve your business over time. Products include a range of features. Without a service, how do you know which features were successful and which aren’t used by your customers? What is it specifically about your product that drove its success or failure in the market?

Services business models around connected products give you insight into the usage details of your solution, which helps you better understand and empathize with your customer. You must have this capability to be successful when delivering on your customers’ needs.

Services models with low churn are an annuity; products are a one-time fee.

Money people love annuities. Would you rather invest your retirement money into an investment that will return a 50 percent increase one time in five years, or would you prefer to have a 10 percent return on your investment compounding over that same lock-up time window?

Now push that concept into infinity. The longer you plan to run your business, the better an annuity-based business model will be for you and your investors. By using a service-based business model to track the service around your offering you can keep the user churn quantity very low, essentially creating an annuity for your business.

Recurring revenue streams are valued higher by the stock market than one-time revenue models.

As an extension to the annuity-based discussion above, the stock market – and investors in general – value recurring revenue streams and annuities way higher than they do one-time sales based models.

No matter what the end goal for your business might be – acquisition, IPO or riding your lifestyle business into eternity – the valuation of your business will be important to its success (and your eventual exit). Having a multiple on revenue that is based on a services model will increase the value of your business and return a lot more money in the long term.
The change is coming… are you prepared?
The shift from products to services isn’t going to come easily. It’s not going to come quickly. It’s going to be a fundamental transition that small business, large business and even the global economy will have to come to terms with.

“I will study and get ready… and perhaps my chance will come.”Abraham LincolnThere will be challenges along this long road to services, and these challenges will cause growing pains. Many companies will not understand the fundamental business shift until it is too late – thus fading into oblivion – while other firms will be born from their ashes and take over to continue pushing the markets forward.

I don’t pretend to know exactly what “services eating the universe” will mean to to global society, the economy or specifically and directly to you, but rest assured that this shift is coming – and it’s going to change everything. Always be prepared, always be open to change and never stop learning. Do this and you will excel no matter what challenges come your way. Good luck.

By Tyler Shields (EMBA ’12), vice president of marketing, partnerships and strategy at Signal Sciences Corp.

This post was republished with permission from the author. View the original post here.

Manager
Manager

The simple secret to networking [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 13:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: The simple secret to networking
As you enter into the MBA process, you often hear alumni say that networking is so important for career growth.

During my time in the UNC Kenan-Flagler Executive MBA program, I wanted to expand my networking activities to include meeting with successful UNC graduates that were years – or decades – ahead of me in their careers.

As a student, I set aside one day per month (the day before class) and traveled up from Florida to network with anyone I believed could be influential on my career. I met with successful millionaires and billionaires, as well as entrepreneurs that failed.

After I finished my networking tour, I traded stories with my peers. I was frequently asked the same two questions:

How did you meet all of these people? How do I network? 

As an entrepreneur these questions baffled me – but many of my peers shared a common sentiment: I don’t know the proper way to ask to meet up with someone.

Entrepreneurs and sales people are used to brushing it off when people say no – but many of my peers were worried about rejection.

So what’s my secret to networking? There really is no secret – but you must ASK. If they say no, you’re in the same place you were before. But if they say yes – which was the only answer I received from UNC alumni – then you have so much to gain.

My best advice is to come prepared and respect people’s time by having your questions prepared.

You will grow through asking the proper questions!

Be conversational. The people you are meeting with probably went through – and still go through – the same process of networking that you are venturing out on right now.

Lastly, ask every person you connect with if they know someone they can introduce you to that could share additional insights on your specialty or career goals.

Manager
Manager

Cut down the nets at Reunion Weekend 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 08:03
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Cut down the nets at Reunion Weekend 2016
Photo: Jeffrey Camarati/UNC Athletics

Have you ever wished you could sink a free throw on the floor of the Smith Center? Do you want to be part of a team that cuts down the nets?

If you’re a member of a reuniting class, you’ll have an opportunity to do both as part of UNC Kenan-Flagler Reunion Weekend April 29 through May 1.

Our 2016 celebration will include a variety of festivities hosted in the Dean E. Smith Center – including cocktails and dinner on the court, plus unique photo opportunities. It’s not every day a group has this storied venue to themselves!

Show your support for the School and you’ll also be eligible to:

• Win a tour of the Carolina Basketball Museum led by the legendary Phil Ford (BSBA ’78)

The first reuniting class that registers 30+ alumni for Reunion Weekend will win.
  • Take a behind-the-scenes tour of the Smith Center

Open to all Reunion Weekend attendees who have made a Dean’s Circle level gift to UNC Kenan-Flagler during the current fiscal year (July 1, 2015 – April 29, 2016).
  • Participate in a free throw competition

Open to all Reunion Weekend attendees who have made a gift to UNC Kenan-Flagler during the current fiscal year (July 1, 2015 – April 29, 2016).
  • Win a basketball signed by the 2015 Carolina men’s basketball team 

All Reunion Weekend attendees who register for our cocktails and dinner event in the Smith Center will be eligible to win. You must be present at the time of the drawing.
And best of all…

The reuniting class that raises the most money for their Class Campaign will have the honor of cutting down the nets!

Reunion Weekend 2016

April 29 – May 1

Reuniting MBA & EMBA classes:

1956 – 1961 – 1966 –1971 – 1976 – 1981 – 1986 – 1991 – 1996 – 2001 – 2006 – 2011 – 2015

Register now

Manager
Manager

Be a part of our first-ever Giving Day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 15:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Be a part of our first-ever Giving Day
Let’s make March 2 the greatest day of giving in the history of the Business School.

Visit our Giving Day 2016 website to learn more and get involved.

Manager
Manager

Lessons of experience: Susan Acker-Walsh (EMBA ’97) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 07:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Lessons of experience: Susan Acker-Walsh (EMBA ’97)
Susan Acker-Walsh (EMBA ’97)

Susan Acker-Walsh’s (EMBA ’97) career has spanned from education to executive leadership and entrepreneurship. The founder of Acker-Walsh Leadership Consulting LLC shared insights and lessons learned with students at UNC Kenan-Flagler’s 2016 MBA Leadership Day.

Embrace change.

With an entrepreneurial spirit ingrained in my early drive to succeed, I idolized the stable careers of my grandfathers, who had both grown with the same companies for decades. But this professional fantasy wasn’t my reality.

Instead, it became very clear that nurturing my career during its early stages would involve instability and complexity. The companies I worked with as a young professional were being bought and sold, and my educational aspirations were unexpectedly evolving. Change was the constant, and I had to get comfortable with it.

Make opportunities count.

When an opportunity arises, understand that you can’t be sure that you’ll ever get it again. Embedding a strong work ethic into your early career allows you to take advantage of hidden opportunities, ultimately producing invaluable life experience.

After giving up a fully paid scholarship to graduate school, my opportunities came from the knowledge I gained through years of on-the-job experience. I was learning and beginning to live my own truth on a journey to self-discovery.

When I was a student in the Executive MBA program, my career was all about change. I changed jobs twice before finishing the program. On top of that, I was developing my company and it was growing rapidly. In a three-month period, we raised $20 million for our venture-backed business.

Be present in your life.

The greatest struggles in my life evolved from an absence in my personal life. While the first 10 years of my career were about professional advancement, the next 10-15 years were about introspection.

It’s important to live your life with intention and have integrity as a leader. And most importantly, have a whole life. For me, this meant making a name for myself and my career by going beyond expectations of hard work.

What will truly distinguish you is an ability to be authentic and have integrity and to stand in the hard times instead of walking away. Give yourself permission to make mistakes and move forward. Once you’re true to yourself, you can lead effectively.

Above all, consider the journey you wish to take to become a successful leader. I’ve learned that what matters most is being proud of the person you are and knowing you’ve made an impact in a way that you value.

The journey of a leader is one of introspection and transformation. Make it count.

Manager
Manager

5 things to know about Giving Day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 19:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: 5 things to know about Giving Day
Wednesday, March 2 is UNC Kenan-Flagler Giving Day! Here’s what you need to know.

Your gift will automatically be doubled.

A group of generous donors have pledged to match gifts made on March 2 up to $50,000 – and rumor has it that more matching gifts will be announced soon. Your gift will help us maximize this opportunity and make an even greater impact for current and future UNC Kenan-Flagler students.

Your gift will count towards your Class Campaign.

If you’re a member of the Class of 2016, you might be considering waiting until graduation to contribute to your Class Campaign – but here’s why you shouldn’t:

Gifts made on Giving Day (March 2) will be counted towards your Class Campaign and will be doubled thanks to the aforementioned matching gift. Don’t delay – give today!

Your support matters – and it all adds up.

Simply put, the world-class education and experience we receive at UNC Kenan-Flagler would not be possible without support from students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the School.

Every gift of every size makes an impact – and it all adds up. Here’s a few examples:

• 10 gifts of $200 provide a study abroad scholarship for an Undergraduate Business student.
  • 9 gifts of $100 provide the loaner laptops you borrow when your computer (inevitably) crashes during exams.
  • 5 gifts of $100 provide access to the latest interview software to help Master of Accounting students improve their job prospects.
  • 4 gifts of $100 provide the scanner you use to upload your resume and cover letter.
  • 2 gifts of $75 make it possible for an MBA student to participate in skill-building activities on Leadership Day – and that’s the cost for one student.
  • 5 gifts of $10 provide 500 pages of print credit for student assignments.
Giving back is a time-honored tradition.

Alum Jeff Tucker (MBA ’00) said it best:

“Everything I gained at UNC Kenan-Flagler was the result of someone else giving back to the School in some way. As alums, we’re really duty-bound to continue that tradition.”

It’s up to us to pay it forward to ensure that future students will have access to the same world-class experience we do.

Giving back increases your ROI.

Giving back is one of the simplest and most important things we can do to increase the ROI on our education. Every member of our community contributes to the strength of our brand and the depth and breadth of our network.

When you give to The Fund for UNC Kenan-Flagler, your donation goes directly toward supporting our students, faculty and programs and is applied to the areas of greatest need at the School – such as increased scholarship and fellowship support that helps us draw the best and brightest scholars to Chapel Hill.

Make A GiftSupport UNC Kenan-Flagler! Make your gift today.

Give Now

Manager
Manager

Reunion Weekend: Special receptions with your classmates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 07:01
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Reunion Weekend: Special receptions with your classmates
We’re excited to host a fun-filled Reunion Weekend for MBA alumni from classes ending in 1 or 6, April 29 through May 1 in beautiful Chapel Hill.

Reuniting alumni are invited to a special gathering with current UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA students on Friday, April 29 from 5:30–7:00pm at He’s Not Here. Don’t miss this opportunity to network with some of our best and brightest who will soon join the ranks of our alumni!

And because reconnecting with your classmates is the number one priority during Reunion Weekend, we’ve worked with Class Agents to organize a fun night of class-specific get-togethers from 7:00–9:30pm on Friday. See below for details.

These gatherings are included in your registration fee and plenty of food and drinks will be provided. And don’t forget, childcare is available on Friday night and throughout the weekend so you can take advantage of this opportunity to relive the good ol’ days with your classmates.

Class gatherings (Friday, April 29 from 7:00–9:00pm):

Who:  Full-time MBA Class of 1966 (Golden Heels) and all MBA alumni who graduated prior to 1966

Where: The DuBose House at Rizzo Conference Center

Who:  Full-time MBA Classes of 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 2001, 2006 and all MBA@UNC alumni

Where:  Top of the Hill (2nd floor)

Who:  Full-time MBA Classes of 1991 and 1996

Where:  Spanky’s Restaurant (upstairs)

Who:  Full-time MBA Class of 2011

Where:  The Crunkelton

Who:  All Executive MBA graduates

Where:  Rizzo Conference Center (Special reception hosted by our EMBA program)

In case you missed it:  Reuniting alumni are invited to join us for a special event at the Dean E. Smith Center on Saturday, April 30.

View the full Reunion Weekend 2016 agenda

Reunion Weekend 2016

April 29 – May 1

Reuniting MBA & EMBA classes:

1956 – 1961 – 1966 –1971 – 1976 – 1981 – 1986 – 1991 – 1996 – 2001 – 2006 – 2011 – 2015

Register now

Manager
Manager

The best advice I received from networking with successful UNC alumni [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 05:01
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: The best advice I received from networking with successful UNC alumni
Prof. Ted Zoller (left) and Travis Wold (EMBA ’15). Photo: Megan Shortle/Soul Pine Photography

Professor Ted Zoller gave me a simple piece of advice on networking:

Get around people who have something of value to share with you. Their impact will continue to give you guidance long after they have departed.

That conversation was the catalyst for my networking tour. During my time in the Executive MBA program, I spent three months meeting with successful UNC graduates who are years – or decades – ahead of me in their careers. I met with successful millionaires and billionaires, as well as entrepreneurs that have failed.

I walked away from these meetings with great advice, book recommendations, new connections and lifelong friendships.

My biggest takeaway from the experience was this:

Successful people are usually more than happy to help those that have the courage to ask.

Perhaps it’s because they see a little bit of themselves in you. Often, it’s because they feel a responsibility to help others because someone helped them along the way.

Everyone I connected with shared similar qualities – gratitude, courage, resilience, curiosity, compassion, integrity, creativity and loyalty.

Here is some of the best advice I received on my networking tour:

• Think about who you hang out with and why. Surround yourself with people that have high expectations for you and will hold you accountable for your actions and decisions.
  • Ask questions instead of giving orders, advice or opinions. Benjamin Franklin was a master at this.
  • Work hard and play hard – but make time to relax. Give yourself something to look forward to.
  • To expand your skill set, teach your skill set.
Challenge yourself to expand your network and connect with high-caliber individuals who you can learn from. And when you achieve success, be willing to help others.

Manager
Manager

Reunion Weekend 2016 is almost here. Time to register! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 09:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Reunion Weekend 2016 is almost here. Time to register!
Join us April 29 – May 1 in beautiful Chapel Hill for Reunion Weekend 2016, a family-friendly weekend of reconnecting and reminiscing with your classmates, fellow alumni, faculty and staff.

The 2016 event will celebrate the reuniting MBA and Executive MBA classes from years ending in 1 or 6. We already have over 220 alumni and guests registered to join in the fun!

Register now
Come back

Reunion Weekend highlights include:

Participate in a free-throw competition and win a free t-shirt!

Class receptions on Friday night at Top of the Hill, Spanky’s, The Crunkleton and more. See full schedule for details.
  • Cocktails and dinner in the Dean E. Smith Center on Saturday night, plus a chance to participate in a free-throw competition and win a special t-shirt.
  • Everyone who registers and attends the Dean E. Smith Center event on Saturday will be eligible to win a cruise for two to Alaska or the Caribbean, or a basketball signed by the 2015-16 Carolina men’s basketball team.
View the full schedule

BE PART OF A WINNING TEAM! 

The class with the greatest support for their Reunion Class Campaign will have a chance to cut down the nets in the Dean E. Smith Center!

Make your gift now!

Give back

At the Saturday evening celebration dinner, we will salute the class with the highest Reunion attendance. We will also recognize the class with the greatest support of their Reunion Class Campaign, and those in attendance will have the opportunity to cut down the nets in the Dean E. Smith Center.

Support the School

We hope you can join us and the more than 220 alumni and guests who have signed up to attend Reunion Weekend 2016! If you can’t make it, you can still support your Reunion Class Campaign by making a gift.

Manager
Manager

6 steps to being a great alum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 17:01
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: 6 steps to being a great alum
Photo: @IreneSaysHello_ (Instagram)

As we welcome new UNC Kenan-Flagler graduates to the ranks of our alumni, we want to remind everyone about the many opportunities to stay connected and engaged with UNC Kenan-Flagler.

Be the best alum you can be with these six easy steps.

• Create (or update) your alumni profile.

Visit our website to create or update your alumni profile. Be sure to include your current contact information, company and title, and up to three career codes that reflect your professional experience and interests.

Please be sure to include a valid email address that you check regularly.

Students, faculty and staff rely on this information for a variety of purposes – including identifying and inviting alumni to speak to classes or at conferences and events, host groups for career treks, contribute to our school magazine and more. Alumni also use the directory to connect, network and share career opportunities with fellow Tar Heels.

The email address you provide is where we’ll send invitations to alumni events in your area, surveys from the media outlets that rank our programs, and our News & Impact newsletter to update you on all things UNC Kenan-Flagler.

• Get LinkedIn.

Our alumni network is known for being among the most supportive and effective – a tradition we hope you’ll help us continue.

Add UNC Kenan-Flagler to the education section of your LinkedIn profile to allow current and prospective students, alumni, faculty and staff to easily identify you as a Business School graduate and receive updates from the school in your news feed.

Be sure to join our UNC Kenan-Flagler LinkedIn group to connect and engage with the Business School community.

• Attend UNC Kenan-Flagler events.

Visit our events calendar for an up-to-date listing of conferences, networking events and activities. Our receptions and Alumni Club events are a great way to meet and network with fellow Business School grads and learn about the School’s latest initiatives – and have some fun in the process!

Not local to Chapel Hill? Be sure to include your email address in your alumni profile to receive invitations to UNC Kenan-Flagler events in your area.

• Submit a class note.

Share news about your career accomplishments, family additions, marriages and commitments, and other personal and professional news by submitting a class note that will be published on our website and in UNC Business magazine.

• Join the Alumni Career Advisors Network.

Seeking career advice? Join ACAN to connect with our alumni career advisors.

The Alumni Career Advisors Network (ACAN) is a group of more than 1,600 UNC Kenan-Flagler grads who want to help students and fellow alumni in their careers by sharing their experiences, insights and advice.

Joining ACAN is quick and easy. Interested in serving as an advisor? Click here to learn more.

• Give what you can, when you can.

Your support of UNC Kenan-Flagler makes an impact and ensures that future students enjoy the same world-class learning experiences and opportunities that you did. EVERY gift counts.

Thank you for everything you already do for UNC Kenan-Flagler. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Manager
Manager

How to prepare for landing your next promotion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 09:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: How to prepare for landing your next promotion
Whether you’re looking to land a promotion in the near future or have your eye on the C-Suite in the long term, it’s important to navigate your career journey with purpose and be prepared for opportunities you may seek – or if you’re lucky, that come looking for you.

Here are a few tips to help you think ahead and prepare to land your next promotion.

Be curious and thoughtful in gathering information

Take time to learn about what others do in your organization, even if it’s not part of or related to your job. Doing so can be informative and inspiring. You might discover a new passion or interest, or identify a business solution that could lead to a new opportunity for you.

Don’t just go along for the ride

Having an idea of what your career path might look can help ensure you end up in a role you like instead of just randomly ending up wherever someone asks you to go. A little bit of planning can lead to higher satisfaction and better results.

Reflect, record and share your accomplishments

Take time to reflect on your accomplishments in real time before you forget them. Think about what you did well and what you could have done differently to get even better results. You can also ask others for feedback. Then, think about applying those ideas in the future.

At the end of each big project or activity you complete, make a list of your accomplishments and how they contributed to the outcome. Think about what you accomplished in measurable terms. Did your work help increase your company’s projected earnings or decrease spending? Write it down. Next time you update your resume or LinkedIn profile, you’ll have a list of accomplishments and results ready.

Share your success

Many people are uncomfortable with sharing their accomplishments with others out of fear it will come off as bragging. But you can – and should – find opportunities to share your big achievements with your boss, coworkers and company leaders.

Frame your remarks by focusing on the benefits to the organization, and keep it positive. You don’t need to highlight the negative to make yourself look good. Use phrases like, “I had a chance to be part of…” or “Our goal was to…” to share your enthusiasm and relay the positive impact of the project – and your contribution. Don’t forget to acknowledge the contributions of team members, too.

Never arrive

One of the best parts of my job is getting to hear from and learn from successful executives almost every day. One of our consultants shared a lesson that’s really stuck with me: Never arrive.

Whatever your career goal, celebrate when you reach it – but don’t forget you always have more to learn and more to contribute, even when you’re at the top of the ladder.

By Mindy Storrie (EMBA ’97), director of leadership development

Manager
Manager

How to network within your company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 12:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: How to network within your company
To be considered for a new opportunity within large organization, it’s crucial to be a known entity.

Whether you’re trying to move up, land a global assignment or simply continue to garner respect in your company, it’s important to grow your internal network, build relationships and meet key people.

Here are a few tips to get started.

Identify who to reach out to

Think of your entire network of advocates as a squid and your professional connections as its arms. You don’t just need one person who’s your advocate. You need numerous tentacles – connections in different divisions, industries and geographic locations – because you never know what kind of work you could end up doing down the road at your company or somewhere else.

Make purposeful requests

Focus your request on expanding your business knowledge, not advancing your personal objectives. If you’re simply out to meet the top executives from all of your company’s global locations, you’re not going to build meaningful relationships and you’ll leave people with the wrong impression of your intentions. Think of legitimate business-related topics that could spark a conversation.

If you’re a working professional enrolled in an advanced degree program, think about who in your company – and in which divisions – could benefit from looping you in to a particular project they’re working on. The opportunity to share what you’re learning through your coursework for the benefit of others in your organization is a legitimate reason to pick up the phone or email someone who’s pretty high up and provides context around why you’re contacting them.

If you’re not a student, think about what you’re trying to do in your career and what’s intriguing to you in the company. Identify someone who can share insights on that topic and make a purposeful request.

For example, don’t try to meet the top executive from a firm’s Asia headquarters by saying, “I’ve always thought about living in Asia. Can you help me out?”

Instead, you could say, “I’ve noticed our Asia division is really making strides in a new market that I’m not familiar with and am interested in comparing and contrasting how your business initiatives relate to what I’m doing in the States. Would you mind spending 30 minutes talking to me about that?”

Making a purposeful request shows you are focused on the business and trying to learn. It also makes a good impression that might pay off down the road.

Respect the other person’s time

When making an ask, keep in mind that the other person doesn’t know what you bring to the table. Don’t ask for an hour-and-a-half dinner or a half-day visit. Instead, start off with a 15-minute ask and let the other person extend the conversation beyond that if they choose to.

Use tech to connect

I’m a huge proponent of asking to meet via a Skype or Adobe Connect session. It’s always great to put a face to the person you’re talking with. On video chat, you can tell whether the other person is engaged in the conversation. When you’re on the phone, there’s a possibility the other person has you on mute and is multitasking.

Students in our Executive MBA and MBA@UNC Programs use the Adobe Connect and Skype technology a lot, and it can be really intriguing to the business colleague on the other end who may have never used it. It can be impressive to say, “This is how I take some of my classes with professors and interact with my classmates for team projects.”

Introducing an executive – particularly those who have been out of school for some time – to this technology really makes you memorable, even if they were nervous because it’s a new experience. I’ve heard feedback from students who have done this and afterwards said, “Wow, that was a good move.”

Find common ground

If you’re struggling to connect with others inside of your workplace or don’t know where to begin, get involved with an affinity group – think diversity or women in business – or join a committee that addresses issues like safety or sustainability. You’ll inevitably meet people from across the organization. If you’re heading up a regional group, you’ll have a legitimate reason to call your counterpart in your company’s European headquarters and say, “We’re working on this project and were wondering how you’re approaching it in your area of the world.” Look for opportunities that not only show your leadership, but will expand your network as you collaborate with others on cross-department efforts.

Shawnice Meador

Director of Career and Leadership Services for Working Professionals

Manager
Manager

Reunion Weekend 2016 recap [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 08:01
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Reunion Weekend 2016 recap
Reunion Weekend 2016 was a slam dunk, with more than 350 alumni and their families and friends joining faculty, staff and students in Chapel Hill.

Alumni raised $1,312,602 – an all-time record – in support of our Reunion Giving Campaign.

The following classes distinguished themselves as MVPs through their attendance and support of the Reunion Giving Campaign:

• Highest reunion attendance:  MBA Class of 2011
  • Highest giving participation: – MBA Class of 2011
  • Most money raised – MBA Class of 1986
On Friday, alumni enjoyed golf at Chapel Hill Country Club, a welcome luncheon with current MBA students and faculty presentations by professors Jim Johnson, Al Segars, Chris Bingham, Shimul Melwani and Chip Snively.

After the Friday evening kickoff event at He’s Not Here, special receptions were held at The Crunkleton, Top of the Hill and Rizzo Conference Center to reconnect MBA, EMBA and MBA@UNC alumni with their classmates.

Saturday began with a service project for Super Cooper’s Little Red Wagon Foundation. Co-founded by Justin Herman (MBA ’05), Super Cooper’s is one of three local nonprofit partners supported by Business Cares, UNC Kenan-Flagler’s signature community service initiative.

After a Carolina barbecue luncheon, former dean and emeritus professor Jack Evans led a discussion on the history of the Business School, with many alumni offering their remembrances and stories. Later, Dean Doug Shackelford presented his “State of the School” address and took questions from alumni.

Saturday evening activities began with special tours of the Carolina Basketball Museum – hosted by Phil Ford (BSBA ’78) – and the Smith Center and Carolina Basketball offices. The evening culminated in grand style on the floor of the Dean E. Smith Center, where alumni enjoyed a wonderful reception and celebration dinner, complete with a free throw contest. The MBA Class of 1986 was recognized as being the class that raised the most money during the Reunion Giving Campaign and had the honor of cutting down the nets.

The weekend concluded with brunch at The Dubose House at the Rizzo Conference Center on Sunday morning. It was a great event packed with networking, fun and reconnecting with classmates and our UNC Kenan-Flagler community.

Here’s what Reunion Weekend attendees are saying about the event:

Bravo to you and your team. I was thoroughly impressed with the Saturday evening Basketball Museum/Smith Center festivities and heard tremendously positive comments from classmates. You all far exceeded our expectations. More importantly, the weekend was rather memorable and one of the most fun times I have experienced since 2011 graduation. Chapel Hill is somewhat about the place, but mostly about the people and the friendships we forged at UNC Kenan-Flagler. Thank you for giving us a reason to gather en masse again.

– David Tate (MBA ’11)

Reunion Weekend exceeded my expectations by a long-shot. The organization, activities and food were fantastic throughout the weekend. The Saturday night dinner at the Smith Center brought the event to a whole new level. It was clear that a tremendous amount of thought and planning went into creating a memorable experience for me and my classmates.

– Tara Flickinger (MBA ’11)

I loved the evening at the Smith Center – shooting hoops, Phil Ford, autographs, names on the big screens (a fab idea), fun prizes, delicious food. Kudos to all for a creative evening.

– Julie Curd (MBA ’01)

As far as organization and quality of events go, this was by far the best reunion I have ever attended.

– Guilherme De Lima (MBA ’01)

Mark your calendars for our next Reunion Weekend, April 28–30, 2017!

•  

View more Reunion Weekend 2016 photos here.

Manager
Manager

A Tar Heel tradition: Say thanks for the assist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 08:01
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: A Tar Heel tradition: Say thanks for the assist
© The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

“Without even noticing, UNC seeps into your pores. By junior year, she’s in your blood. You can’t remember a time when you didn’t have moments on campus where you lose your breath for a second and all you can think is, ‘Wow, I love this place.’”

– Elyse Ashburn (UNC ’04)

Nothing could be finer…
Photo: @brendannally Instagram

Late spring is always a special time at UNC Kenan-Flagler. Classes end, students transition to the ranks of alumni and, in many senses, the School reinvents itself.

Just as students redefine their relationship with the School following graduation, so do many faculty and staff. Springtime has marked countless milestones for some of the most dedicated and cherished members of our community.

In the spring of 2003, longtime faculty member Rollie Tillman (BSBA ’55) taught his last class at the Business School – as did legendary professors Harold Langenderfer in 1997, Jay Klompmaker in 2001 and Linda Bowen in 2014.

“We’ll hold it briefly, feel its pulsing heart before letting it go to impart that Carolina magic to those students there now, and to all those who will come in the endless future, stay awhile, and leave a part of their soul in a place called Chapel Hill.”A.C. Snow (BA ’50)Sherry Wallace (BA ’82, MBA ’87), beloved director of admissions for our full-time MBA Program, watched the first class of students she recruited cross the stage in Spring 2001. And more than 35 years ago, Doug Shackelford (BSBA ’80) turned his tassel under beautiful Carolina blue skies. He became dean of UNC Kenan-Flagler in Spring 2014.

Chances are one or more of these individuals – or some the hundreds of incredible faculty and staff who taught and worked in McColl and Carroll Hall – have made an impact on your life and helped shape you into the person you are today.

Now it’s your turn.

Say thanks for the assist
© UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School

Honor your favorite Business School professor or staff member – current or retired – by making a gift of any size to The Fund for UNC Kenan-Flagler in their name.

Be sure to indicate that your gift is being made in honor or memory of a fellow Tar Heel. To include a note for your honoree, check the “I would like to share a story about why I made this gift” option.

Make a gift

Start a new Tar Heel tradition
Instagram: @UNCChapelHill | © The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

There’s no better way to thank those who have made a lasting impact on your life than by honoring them with a gift to the place you both hold dear.

By making a gift to the School for two or more consecutive years or by setting up a recurring donation, you’ll automatically be named to the Ann Christian Goodno Loyalty Society – and you’ll be in great company. Goodno (BSCOM ’45) – the School’s longest-living consecutive donor – celebrated the 70th anniversary of her graduation from the Business School in 2015.

Springtime in Carolina is steeped in tradition – and with your help, we can start a new one.

“So far from forgetting this blessed place, I think my picture of it grows clearer every year. It was as close to magic as I’ll ever be.”

– Thomas Wolfe (UNC ’20)

Manager
Manager

Connect with alumni and students at our 2016 Summer Welcome socials [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 07:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Connect with alumni and students at our 2016 Summer Welcome socials
In keeping with a great annual tradition, the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni engagement team – in partnership with the School’s degree programs and alumni clubs – will host a series of Summer Welcome events across the U.S. and in Brazil.

These casual after-work gatherings connect students with alumni in the cities where they are interning and welcome our newest UNC Kenan-Flagler grads in a fun and relaxed setting.

Find an event near youRegister for your local Summer Welcome gathering and other alumni events in your area.

View Events Calendar

Be sure to update your contact information in our alumni directory to ensure you receive email invitations to UNC Kenan-Flagler events in your area.

Join us at an upcoming Summer Welcome event:

Thanks to everyone who helped make these recent Summer Welcome events a success:

• Charlotte (June 17)
  • Indianapolis (June 16)
  • New York City (June 16)
  • San Francisco (June 17)
  • Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (June 17)

Join us at an upcoming Alumni Club event:

Manager
Manager

Loyalty: It’s a Carolina thing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 03:02
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Loyalty: It’s a Carolina thing
[img]http://i0.wp.com/blog.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/©-UNC-Athletics.jpg?resize=300%2C200[/img]
Tar Heel pride extends far beyond the court and the field.

To paraphrase UNC Athletics columnist Adam Lucas:

Loyalty – it’s a Carolina thing.

If there’s one thing every Tar Heel knows about, it’s loyalty. We faithfully don our Carolina blue t-shirts, hats and jerseys at every given opportunity to cheer on our Heels. We yell and cheer until we’re hoarse. We root for Carolina and we give it our all – win or lose, through thick and thin.

Why?

Because we love this place.

We want it to succeed. We want to show our support. And we want to contribute to that success in any way we can.

But our success isn’t limited to Carolina victories on the court and on the field – and our loyalty shouldn’t be, either.

Ann Christian Goodno and Dean Doug Shackelford

Every day, UNC Kenan-Flagler students, faculty, staff and alumni make strides to change the world and benefit the greater good – all thanks to the generosity and support of MVPs like Ann Christian Goodno (BSCOM ’45).

After earning her degree under the shadow of World War II, Goodno started giving back to the School and hasn’t stopped since. She has been supporting the Business School for more than seven decades.

“I never thought anything about it –but I was shocked to read that gifts to the School, combined with other private support, fund 20 percent of its annual operating budget,” says Goodno. “If people don’t give, I don’t think the School could operate.”

Goodno is the picture of a dedicated alum – that’s why we chose to name a society that celebrates donor loyalty in her name. The Ann Christian Goodno Loyalty Society includes all donors who make a gift to UNC Kenan-Flagler for two or more consecutive years or set up a recurring donation.

Anyone can join the ranks of our UNC Kenan-Flagler MVPs – all you have to do is commit your support to our incredible School.

Be part of our successMake a gift by June 30 and help us close out the fiscal year on a strong note!

Give now

Don’t forget, you can honor your favorite current or former UNC Kenan-Flagler faculty or staff member by making a gift in their name. There’s no better way to say thanks for the assist.

If you are one of the over 6,000 alumni, students, parents, faculty, staff or friends of the School who have already made a gift this fiscal year, thank you! Your support is crucial to our continued success.

Go Heels!

Loyalty: It’s a Carolina thing   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2016, 03:02

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Calling Kenan Flagler Global Executive OneMBA Applicants: 2016 Intake!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap