Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Schools: LBS '17 (WL)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all LBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) - Class of 2017 [#permalink]
gcb09173 cheers - that's helpful. it has been frustrating since no may movement - but hopefully who knows....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The £6000 reservation fee is to be paid by all round 1,2 and 3 candidates on the 18th June - I'm sure there will be some movement after that date when they see who's committing and who they have applying in round 4.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gcb09173 wrote:
The £6000 reservation fee is to be paid by all round 1,2 and 3 candidates on the 18th June - I'm sure there will be some movement after that date when they see who's committing and who they have applying in round 4.

Yes, that's a good point. That's a bigger amount to commit to - so maybe. Really depends on yield a lot I guess as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Anyone knows if there are still any scholarship/bursary opportunities for R4 applicants in general?
Many thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Potentially - there were a few remaining - primarily the female scholarships with a few industry and nationality ones. They will be very specific however.

The bulk have been handed out however as they usually assess stage 1,2,3 candidates.

LBS is purely merit based scholarships.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gcb09173 wrote:
Potentially - there were a few remaining - primarily the female scholarships with a few industry and nationality ones. They will be very specific however.

The bulk have been handed out however as they usually assess stage 1,2,3 candidates.

LBS is purely merit based scholarships.

Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks gcb09173

I was wondering - well bearing in mind not everyone has made up their minds yet - what % of us waitlisters will go home happy at the end of this process (ie. get an offer for either this year or next year). Do you reckon its 20% of us (if say we are 100 strong as a waitlist pool) - and are a lot of waitlisters historically given offers for following year? Or are they just rejected at the end of it....I'm just wondering and assessing hope and what chances are better - getting in this year or next year.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Be part of London
Broaden your knowledge of diverse business environments by visiting contrasting organisations to understand their sectors, cultures and structures. Business Immersion Week - just one of the many exciting elements of our Masters in Management programmes. Immerse yourself in the culture and business operations of top global companies. Discuss key issues with senior staff in interactive sessions, get […]

Read the rest of this entry...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: MBA 2017 Admits Weekend
At the end of May London Business School welcomed over 100 MBA2017 admitted candidates along with their partners to campus for a weekend introduction into the London Business School community. The first day of Admits Weekend consisted of engaging presentations from our Career Centre, the programme team and Student Ambassadors.  Additionally, two of our world-class faculty […]

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Current Students Blog: #LifeAtBusinessSchool: How to Start a Successful Business Part 3
It’s been a while since my last post (How to come up with a multi-million dollar idea) so I will skip the introduction and get straight into the most important thing. The first thing you need to do to convert your idea to serious bucks is to figure out who your customers are and whether or not they want your product.

Customer discovery is the most important thing when embarking on a new business venture. Say you have a new app that is targeted at university students, go and speak to university students, get them to trial the app. If they end up deleting the app after a few days it means your target customers don’t want it. So go back to the drawing board and try again. The same applies to any other product. If it is a type of food or new recipe you have and no one is buying it, go back to the drawing board. This process should take a few weeks and should include surveys and REAL CUSTOMER DATA, not just market size estimates and market growth forecasts.

When you know customers actually want your product and you have market size and growth estimates, its time to think of a business model. Sounds complicated, but its actually just a model/plan which describes who your customers are, what your product is and why it is different to the competition, and how you plan on making money.

Once the business plan is done you can combine this with the customer data + feedback you recieved earlier and start making some initial financial forecasts to see if this is a business actually worth pursuing.

In other words check if revenue is greater than total costs in the long term. You obviously don’t want to be operating a business at a loss. If at this point it seems you will be breaking even or losing out, STOP. Don’t think of it as a waste of time, think of it as an investment you made to stop yourself on losing out on money and time.

Once you have your business model and you have produced some low cost prototypes and have real customer data purchases, it is time to make a decision. Do you iron out the bugs of your current product before you release or whilst you release it? This is a difficult question to answer and depends on what the product is so read up on past companies and case studies before you decide (e.g. Dropbox).

The reason this is very important is because these decisions will heavily influence whether or not you will pass the barrier which occurs at the early adopter’s stage and kills the majority of start-ups (See the figure below)

Most business dont get past the “early adopters stage” shown in the diagram as often their products require a radical behavioural change. If there is one thing entrepreneurs learn the hard way, it is that no one wants to change for your product or app or whatever you have. So find a way to make it convenient around people’s current lifestyles.

So once this is decided and you find yourself approaching or at the early adopter’s stage, you will be considering your second stage of funding and will be looking for investors, most likely a venture capitalist.

NOTE: Before even approaching a venture capitalist you need some customers, you need to show there is a demand for the product, it works, and your business model and projections are reasonable and can forecast some profits which are worth investing in. This isn’t forecasting profits of £1000 after a year. This is after you have really thought about your business model, what your sustainable competitive advantage is (what you have that is difficult to imitate) and when you have good answers to the following questions:

• What are the other technologies available that can achieve the same thing
  • How much does it cost you to do this relative to competition
  • What do you have that someone else cannot really imitate
  • What are your projections for the next three years

So to summarise, we have covered a few things in this post. First and foremost is the importance of researching weather or not customers want and will buy your product- this takes weeks and sometimes even months. Second is the importance of having a well thought out business model, knowing the market growth forecast, knowing your customers, and using this information to make a reasonable financial forecast. Third is thinking about how you can get past the early adopters stage to get mass adoption of your product by minimising behavioural changes and tweaking your product to better suit customer needs. And finally once the above points are sorted, preparing yourself for standing in front of a venture capitalist.

Stay tuned for part 4 where we talk about what companies do when they have passed the early adopters stage and how they establish themselves as key players in the market. In other words, going from £millions to £billions.

Follow me:

Twitter:@umarahmed12

Instagram: @umarahmed122

official website: www.umarahmed.com

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Upcoming information events on campus – June 2015
    Speak directly with admissions staff, alumni and students to find out more about the London Business School experience. Representatives from Career Centre, Student Activities, Women in Business Club and Out in Business Club will be available during the networking session to answer all your questions. Tuesday 23 June, 18.45 – 21.00 GMT for […]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
gcb09173 wrote:

So 18th June has passed and the list must be moving now... and the final decision date is approaching this week.
Good luck to all r4 and waitlisted candidates (including myself..) :wink:
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: London Business School MiF retains #1 position in FT ranking
We are delighted to let you know that our full-time Masters in Finance (MiF) has again been ranked the world’s number one post-experience programme. We have topped this ranking every year since it was introduced five years ago and it’s great to take the top spot again on the 20th anniversary of the MiF. Of […]

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Our new programme, the Masters in Financial Analysis
London Business School has created its first new graduate course in six years with the launch of a Masters in Financial Analysis programme. The Masters in Financial Analysis equips fresh graduates to launch and develop a successful career in finance. Stand out from the competition with a solid grounding in finance and accounting, a toolkit of […]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone!! I am a R4 applicant and I received an early decision acceptance email on Monday afternoon 22/06 :-D ! I was surprised because the final decisions are not released until the 25/06. Anyway, does anyone know how it works with scholarships? Is it something they would have already talked to me about or is it worth waiting to see until the 25th or would there be something in the offer pack that I will be receiving.

Best of luck to everyone with their offers!

Originally posted by Prodigy13 on 24 Jun 2015, 03:35.
Last edited by Prodigy13 on 24 Jun 2015, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Congratulations Prodigy13! Don't know re scholarships yet...

Did anyone manage to move off the waitlist? My waitlist update has come in....still on the waitlist till 22nd July.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congratulations to all R4 admits

humboldt received the same update...still on the waitlist
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   
Moderators: