It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
Re: Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 08:20
Yup. Best of luck everyone!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 34

Schools: Haas '15
Re: Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 10:43
Anyone else care to share their decision? Which campus and when you got the decision?

Background info? Yrs experience, industry, undergrad, GMAT, etc?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 12:48
Phl campus. Anyone else here for Phl campus?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: General Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 23:21
I am waitlisted. Anyone else wait listed or know any details about how many candidates generally get accepted from waitlist?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 23:49
Me too. Looks like Wharton EMBA has very high yield and hence chances are not that good.
Of course I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Good Luck.

Current Student

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 05:02
Accepted to PHL campus. Definitely going. Good luck to everyone!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.74

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 09:14
I've been waitlisted at Wharton SF since mid January...been waiting a few months now ;/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 09:45
I received a call last week to tell me I was accepted. I did not receive the email notification yet, and my web portal still reads as "Ready for Review". Has anyone received the email yet for R2?

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 14:37
Yeah, got the email yesterday. Check if you have a "decision" button on top of "check list" on the site.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Could one of the accepted students for SF tell me when the initial deposit is due? This will help me figure out what is the earliest that people on the waitlist can expect to hear from the school.

Thanks,
Harv

Last edited by harvgill on 01 Apr 2015, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 16:28
Great question Harv. Please also indicate the location (SF or Philly) since I think there are slightly different dates.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
harvgill wrote:
Hi guys,

Could one of the accepted students for SF tell me when the initial deposit is due? This will help me figure out what is the earliest that people on the waitlist can expect to hear from the school.

Thanks,
Harv

Hi! I got accepted for SF. The deposit is due on April 15th.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 02:12
Got the call last week and I'm very excited.

I'm faced with the difficult decision of Wharton EMBA SF and Haas EWMBA. I'm passionate about entrepreneurship and have achieved some solid entrepreneurial success but I'm really interested in shifting into the venture capital side of things post MBA. I'm also interested in working as a product/project manager at an exciting startup post MBA as well (if my venture capital aspirations don't materialize right away). Anyone at Wharton EMBA know of their venture capital related programs and connections to the top firms in the Bay? The chatter is that you need a big 3 (Stanford, Harvard, Wharton) MBA to get into the prestigious venture capital firms but I'm not sure how valid that statement is. In comparison, at Haas, the Lester Center has dedicated venture capital programs and initiatives which seem really interesting (especially the internships at VC firms).

Also, I like how you finish in two years with the Wharton program instead of the three with Haas. I understand that Haas is every week but I think the immersion you get from Wharton's full day Fri/Sat every other week is also extremely intensive. I'm not sure how much immersion you get when attending one class a couple nights a week. However, the fact that the Haas full campus is in the Bay, and you have access to full-time events/programs is very intriguing (my work schedule is extremely flexible and determined by me so I could definitely take advantage of this). The Haas brand is top notch, but the Wharton brand is...the Wharton brand.

In summary, I'm extremely torn - a good problem to have but a tough one to say the least. Additional insight from any current Wharton EMBA SF students or anyone else is greatly appreciated.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 08:28
Cyrez,

If you're looking for a career/job change, I think Haas has a bigger presence / career services in the Bay Area (particularly as you mentioned the VC center) since it also caters to the full time program which is top 10.

If you're planning on staying on the West Coast, I would say that there is no difference and the Haas and Anderson network may actually be stronger if we're just talking about NorCal and Socal. Bear in mind that Haas, Stanford and Anderson have more alumni at Google and other Bay Area companies. The Wharton professors are world class and top notch, but I'm not sure how many VC connections, how much research they do on VC related activities since they are all from Philly.

The coursework is also important - I'm not sure of Wharton's course offerings that are VC focus.

The Wharton name alone does carry its weight in gold, but you'll need to ask if it alone enough to reach your goals or will you need the network, the programs, and the career services in order to make the move.

I would say the Wharton program wins in pure finance/valuation, and it has more networking at the Fortune 500 level.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're like me and are considering both programs - you should go to the welcome events and do more campus visits before you make a decision.

Hope this helps!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 08:39
Check out the profiles of the Partners at Kleiner. Ton of Stanford and Harvard grads but also Berkeley.

http://www.kpcb.com/teams

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 11:57
I clicked on 70% of the profiles and didn't see a single Haas MBA - could you name me the ones you saw :)

Also, I really appreciate that insight. I definitely understand that Stanford/Harvard are the top 2 for VC but I figured with Wharton's top 3 brand and top honors in finance (a critical component to venture investing) that they'd have a strong presence in the VC world as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts about Wharton's VC connections in the Bay?

Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 19:39
Cyrez -

I'm a student at Wharton SF. I can't really speak to Berkeley's program because I only applied to Wharton. The only thing I can say about Haas is that the majority of the people are going to be from the bay area. At Wharton, I have classmates who fly in from all over the US and some who fly in from other countries. About half of my class is based in the bay area.

Almost every class weekend, we have speakers come in from VC firms and startups. There's also a lot of entrepreneurship/venture capital events that take place during the week.

I've reached out to a few partners in the VC and PE world and I can tell you the Wharton name carries a lot of weight. In terms of electives, each class votes on about ~200 options from the course catalog. In my class we picked a good amount of entrepreneurship and finance classes (including a few focused on venture capital). I would say that most of my classmates are more focused on becoming entrepreneurs than working at VCs.

Not everything is perfect, but my time at Wharton has been amazing so far. Personally, I know I made the right choice for me. I suggest talking to some Haas students/grads to get their opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 20:10
My apologies, there's quite a few Berkeley undergrads at KPBS, not many MBAs. I think Sequoia Capital has a few more. Either ways, those Partners/folks are part of the Berkeley network and there's a connection there.

I still stand by my position though - just can't see a weekend only bi-weekly EMBA at Wharton being the first choice for a technology VC Aspirant in the Bay Area. The network and class of 90-100 is going to be super diverse with Fortune 500 executives, investment bankers, marketing, sales from all over the country/world etc flying in every 2 weeks. I can see a second to none general business education and great/diverse network but not a focused VC driven path.

Haas will have a much larger cohort and opportunity to put in more time and get a ROI on time spent. If you have more than a weekend to spare every 2 weeks, I think you can put more and get more out of the Haas program than you can at Wharton.

Wharton brand name > Haas but not by much. My sense is most VC partners would interview both candidates but all else equal, would give the nod to the Wharton candidate.

Current Student

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 20:33
Hey Cyrez,

First -- congrats, this is a great problem to have. :)

Second -- I come from a mixed finance/startup background in both NYC and SF, and I chose to apply only to Wharton EMBA (got accepted and am starting in May). My reasoning was based on two factors: solid finance core and a fantastic network across both Venture Capital and Private Equity communities. Think about it: a great VC/PE professional is someone who has extreme mastery of valuations. This is what Wharton is famous for! Entrepreneurship classes are meant to *complement* a solid finance core, as they focus on various stages of a startup, raising series Seed, A, B, etc, hiring, scaling, and so on.

On a separate note, I think great VCs and not hired out of B-school. They start companies, become successful, and join as senior partners, or start their own investment firms. I believe your Wharton network will be tremendous to do just that. If you have any doubts about this point, do yourself a favor and read pp. 6-8 of this book before you make up your mind: http://www.amazon.com/Venture-Deals-Sma ... 118443616/

Either way, best of luck!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 13:15
Crimea - really appreciate the thoughts and comments. I've decided on Wharton as well and can't wait - I'll PM you so that we can connect during next weekends admit day as well.

In regards to the VC path, you are absolutely correct that one of the main paths is being a successful entrepreneur, exiting and then transitioning over into VC. There are a couple of other paths that include a pure finance route, a successful startup career (not as a founder, but as early employee), and the post MBA associate/rise up to partner route as well.

I'm definitely open to continued entrepreneurial activities (and I'm really excited about possibly participating in the VIP Wharton program for a year post graduation with some of my colleagues) but want to make sure I've kept my options open (and maximized them) for a potential transition into VC as well.

At the end of the day, the Wharton brand (both in the US and globally) is top notch and will definitely go a long way.

crimea wrote:
Hey Cyrez,

First -- congrats, this is a great problem to have. :)

Second -- I come from a mixed finance/startup background in both NYC and SF, and I chose to apply only to Wharton EMBA (got accepted and am starting in May). My reasoning was based on two factors: solid finance core and a fantastic network across both Venture Capital and Private Equity communities. Think about it: a great VC/PE professional is someone who has extreme mastery of valuations. This is what Wharton is famous for! Entrepreneurship classes are meant to *complement* a solid finance core, as they focus on various stages of a startup, raising series Seed, A, B, etc, hiring, scaling, and so on.

On a separate note, I think great VCs and not hired out of B-school. They start companies, become successful, and join as senior partners, or start their own investment firms. I believe your Wharton network will be tremendous to do just that. If you have any doubts about this point, do yourself a favor and read pp. 6-8 of this book before you make up your mind:

Either way, best of luck!

Re: Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2015, 13:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 68 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton EMBA Applicants(Ph/SF) 2015 Intake Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, bb10, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap