It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 04:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2008, 08:40
agold wrote:
Have a great weekend everyone. I'm really looking forward to visiting campus on Monday and meeting up with rhyme and kwam.

Good luck agold! I'm sure you'll have a great time visiting campus :)
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2008, 09:01
agold wrote:
Have a great weekend everyone. I'm really looking forward to visiting campus on Monday and meeting up with rhyme and kwam.

Ask rhyme how easy it is to gain weight from eating in that cafeteria day after day. There are ZERO healthy options in there except bad salads.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2008, 09:41
And listen to rhyme when he warns you about the unreliable "Starbucks" in the cafeteria...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:15
anyone have a link to the course list at GSB? I used to have it, now I can't seem to find it anywhere...

interview prep!

thanks.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:21
sigity wrote:
anyone have a link to the course list at GSB? I used to have it, now I can't seem to find it anywhere...

interview prep!

thanks.

check the first page of this thread, it's all on there
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:28
thanks terp!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:34
Have interview next Tuesday on Dec 9 2008.

Interviewer is a Goldman Sachs mgt director.

I was in GS Co-Op program for 2 years in their MCD office in NYC as undergrad. Hope this fact makes my interview easier....

Crossing my fingers

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:36
ninkorn wrote:

I was in GS Co-Op program for 2 years in their MCD office in NYC as undergrad. Hope this fact makes my interview easier....

Crossing my fingers

Dec 9th? That's pretty late in the game. I thought they needed to be completed by the 3rd?
SVP
SVP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:38
terp26 wrote:
ninkorn wrote:

Crossing my fingers

Dec 9th? That's pretty late in the game. I thought they needed to be completed by the 3rd?

I work in Big 4 accounting...constantly traveling to client sites. (Can't find time otherwise - can't even use my vacation days) They made it an exception for me. I think my 770 GMAT helped. LOL

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:51
ninkorn wrote:
terp26 wrote:
ninkorn wrote:

Crossing my fingers

I work in Big 4 accounting...constantly traveling to client sites. (Can't find time otherwise - can't even use my vacation days) They made it an exception for me. I think my 770 GMAT helped. LOL

I travel from West to East each week for client work, and actually found that it made it EASIER to schedule an interview because of it. Why didn't you just play the "I have an appointment I have to attend to" card? If they ask what it's for, just say it's "personal" and they probably won't press you on it. Perhaps Booth is impressed by your overall application and wants to keep you in it, but I doubt they are impressed by a high GMAT these days.
SVP
SVP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 09:00
MeddlingKid wrote:

I travel from West to East each week for client work, and actually found that it made it EASIER to schedule an interview because of it. Why didn't you just play the "I have an appointment I have to attend to" card? If they ask what it's for, just say it's "personal" and they probably won't press you on it. Perhaps Booth is impressed by your overall application and wants to keep you in it, but I doubt they are impressed by a high GMAT these days.

I don't know. I guess I didn't want to give them an impression that this interview wasn't that important...

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 09:07
ninkorn wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

I don't know. I guess I didn't want to give them an impression that this interview wasn't that important...

How would adjusting your work schedule to attend a Booth interview in a more timely manner (before the December 3rd deadline they set) indicate to admissions that the interview isn't important? I would think it might actually have the opposite effect.
SVP
SVP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 09:18
MeddlingKid wrote:
How would adjusting your work schedule to attend a Booth interview in a more timely manner (before the December 3rd deadline they set) indicate to admissions that the interview isn't important? I would think it might actually have the opposite effect.

Oh? That's what you meant. Rescheduling with my current employer.

Okay, firstly. Big 4 doesn't give a damn about one's personal matters. (Did I mention i can't use vacation days? Also my co worker couldn't go on honeymoon because of client related work after his wedding)

We consider our profession "modern form of slavery" for a reason. Big 4 firms only care about their clients and revenue they generate. Employees are recyclable since there are plenty of accounting grads every year and my colleagues leave as soon as their CPAs are certified.

Here are certain descriptions on http://www.urbandictionary.com regarding my profession and employer:

UrbanDictionary wrote:

Audit sweatshop.
I worked 80 hours for E&Y last week, but apparently I was underutilized relative to my peers.

Similar to the other Big 4 accounting firms, is a form of slavery and injustices. Most people come here to work hundreds of hours per week, only to be paid substantially less than at Deloitte, KPMG, and PWC. They are so cheap with raises they would rather see everyone quit every year than try to pay in line with the other firms. Salaries average $5,000 to $8,000 less than the other Big 4 firms. And the tag line "quality in everything we do" does not apply to senior managers who are the darlings of the partners. It means they can be worthless and not work a hard day in their life while shitting on the seniors. Then once the problems ensue, they just blame the seniors to make it all better.
I get paid paid $8,000 less to do the same job as my college friend. Oh, thats because I work at Ernst & Young instead of Deloitte. What a dipshit for working there.

Essentially a pyramid rip-off scheme Amway would be proud of, the accounting firm Ernst & Young (aka EY) stands as a shining example of why people are willing to accept communism as alternative to a market society. The EY meat grinder is powered by recent college graduates looking for a door into upper-middle management. At the top of the food chain sit the partners and senior managers who glut themselves on the labors of their staffers. Typically, the best staffers are quickly offered more palatable positions at other companies, while others grow tired of the abuse and leave. The unimpressive few that remain are eventually made partners only because they lack the emotional maturity to handle a leadership position in any other industry. The prime directive of the partners is to seek revenge for the countless years of torture they endured as being the awkward kid in high school always picked last for any event. To fill this duty, they seek out any employee under their control with a life and destroy it. This pyramid scheme only works because the capital markets and government either do not know, or do not care, that 90% of the procedures performed to arrive at the all-important audit opinion was performed by a group of disgruntled staffers who graduated college less that 3 years ago and have been over-worked to the point of insanity.
Your company gave you a $3 gift card to Starbucks for your birthday? That's so Ernst & Young.

The last form of slavery in the US. This is where many young people begin careers and work 120 hours a week until they either quit or die from exhaustion. Former Ernst & Young employees often have scarred backs from the whip marks. See also Deloitte.
Brian can't go on vacation because he was required to step and increase his overall utilization at Ernst & Young.

A place where females in certain offices get paid significantly more than their male counterparts so that they don't blackmail the managing partner for grabbing their butt at the holiday party.
Amy is getting her MBA paid for by Ernst & Young because Partner Bob thinks she is hot, while Jeff can't even take one night class.

A organization consisting of sophomoric, overpaid individuals who are fresh out of college and think they are being crapped on by their employer when in fact they are worthless tools who can never get instructions right. However, its not their fault as there were no one good left at the top to teach them how to be good. Antonym: A cohesive organization that strives for continuous improvement and pride in the quality of work is evident at all levels...
Quality in everything we poo....

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 09:42
ninkorn wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

Oh? That's what you meant. Rescheduling with my current employer.

Okay, firstly. Big 4 doesn't give a damn about one's personal matters. (Did I mention i can't use vacation days? Also my co worker couldn't go on honeymoon because of client related work after his wedding)

We consider our profession "modern form of slavery" for a reason. Big 4 firms only care about their clients and revenue they generate. Employees are recyclable since there are plenty of accounting grads every year and my colleagues leave as soon as their CPAs are certified.

Here are certain descriptions on http://www.urbandictionary.com regarding my profession and employer:

UrbanDictionary wrote:

Audit sweatshop.
I worked 80 hours for E&Y last week, but apparently I was underutilized relative to my peers.

Similar to the other Big 4 accounting firms, is a form of slavery and injustices. Most people come here to work hundreds of hours per week, only to be paid substantially less than at Deloitte, KPMG, and PWC. They are so cheap with raises they would rather see everyone quit every year than try to pay in line with the other firms. Salaries average $5,000 to $8,000 less than the other Big 4 firms. And the tag line "quality in everything we do" does not apply to senior managers who are the darlings of the partners. It means they can be worthless and not work a hard day in their life while shitting on the seniors. Then once the problems ensue, they just blame the seniors to make it all better.
I get paid paid $8,000 less to do the same job as my college friend. Oh, thats because I work at Ernst & Young instead of Deloitte. What a dipshit for working there.

Essentially a pyramid rip-off scheme Amway would be proud of, the accounting firm Ernst & Young (aka EY) stands as a shining example of why people are willing to accept communism as alternative to a market society. The EY meat grinder is powered by recent college graduates looking for a door into upper-middle management. At the top of the food chain sit the partners and senior managers who glut themselves on the labors of their staffers. Typically, the best staffers are quickly offered more palatable positions at other companies, while others grow tired of the abuse and leave. The unimpressive few that remain are eventually made partners only because they lack the emotional maturity to handle a leadership position in any other industry. The prime directive of the partners is to seek revenge for the countless years of torture they endured as being the awkward kid in high school always picked last for any event. To fill this duty, they seek out any employee under their control with a life and destroy it. This pyramid scheme only works because the capital markets and government either do not know, or do not care, that 90% of the procedures performed to arrive at the all-important audit opinion was performed by a group of disgruntled staffers who graduated college less that 3 years ago and have been over-worked to the point of insanity.
Your company gave you a $3 gift card to Starbucks for your birthday? That's so Ernst & Young.

The last form of slavery in the US. This is where many young people begin careers and work 120 hours a week until they either quit or die from exhaustion. Former Ernst & Young employees often have scarred backs from the whip marks. See also Deloitte.
Brian can't go on vacation because he was required to step and increase his overall utilization at Ernst & Young.

A place where females in certain offices get paid significantly more than their male counterparts so that they don't blackmail the managing partner for grabbing their butt at the holiday party.
Amy is getting her MBA paid for by Ernst & Young because Partner Bob thinks she is hot, while Jeff can't even take one night class.

A organization consisting of sophomoric, overpaid individuals who are fresh out of college and think they are being crapped on by their employer when in fact they are worthless tools who can never get instructions right. However, its not their fault as there were no one good left at the top to teach them how to be good. Antonym: A cohesive organization that strives for continuous improvement and pride in the quality of work is evident at all levels...
Quality in everything we poo....

Well, that's what you get for choosing the Big 4 firm with the worst culture. :-D I wouldn't make such a sweeping generalization about Big 4 firms due to your experience with EY. I have been with a competing Big 4 firm (albeit an advisory practice; it sounds as though you might be in audit) for over 5 years, and while the hours have been grueling at times, they are generally pretty open about taking time off to attend to personal matters. I have worked on engagements that replicated an audit schedule, and in each instance, I was able to take a personal day off as long as I ensured my assigned deliverables had been completed. You just have to have the stones to tell your boss that you need to take care of something, but that your deliverables won't suffer because of it.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 11:36
I just finished my interview with Chicago Booth over the phone with an admission director. The interview was kinda surprising. The interview itself lasted for about 20 minutes and then my questions and the interviewer's answer went for another 10 minutes, making a total time for the interview of about 30 minutes.

It seemed like the interviewer was in a rush or had to finish the interview early (or probably had a decision in mind and wanted to check one or two points ) ..

Questions were typical: Walk me through your resume - why MBA now- why booth - what will you contribute to the class - what do you do outside work - what extracurricular activities did you enjoy most and what impact/leadership - WHat do you plan to do in Booth outside classes - undergraduate experience .. why this major ..what this undergrad school .. etc
Why did you work at X in country Y ? What's your short-term goals after MBA ? Long-term goals ? Why company Z ?

and then she welcomed my questions .. I asked about 3-4 questions..

I guess now it's the waiting war .. 17 more days to hear back
SVP
SVP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 11:45
Mishari wrote:
I just finished my interview with Chicago Booth over the phone with an admission director. The interview was kinda surprising. The interview itself lasted for about 20 minutes and then my questions and the interviewer's answer went for another 10 minutes, making a total time for the interview of about 30 minutes.

I guess now it's the waiting war .. 17 more days to hear back

Thanks for the news/update. is Booth your top choice? What do you think of your chances? I keep reading that many adcoms are saying that all the Fall 2009 slots are expected to fill even before their round 3 deadline due to sheer volume of apps this year. I think it's good thing you and I have round 1 app in.... :-D

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 13:55
Just got back from a great visit to Booth. I will post a re-cap in a few hours.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 14:13
agold wrote:

great, anxiously awaiting the recap
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 14:15
terp26 wrote:
agold wrote:

great, anxiously awaiting the recap

awesome! glad it went well! look forward to reading the recap :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 15:52
I thought I'd share a little prep from this week's pre-final studying. My answers below for comparison.

1. Consider a single period problem where investors are risk-neutral, the risk-free interest rate is zero, and there are no taxes. A firm consists of a machine that will produce cash flows of $210 if the economy is good and $80 if the economy is bad. The good and bad states occur with equal probability. Initially, the firm has 100 shares outstanding and debt with a face value of $50 due at the end of the period. What is the share price of the firm?

Why bother? Whatever it is, its going down in this market.

2. Suppose the firm in question 1 unexpectedly announces that it will issue additional debt, with the same seniority as existing debt and a face value of $50. The firm will use the entire proceeds to repurchase some of the outstanding shares.

(a) What is the market price of the new debt?
(b) Just after the announcement, what will the price of a share jump to?
(c) How does all this affect the value of the firm (debt plus equity)?

(a) Who cares?
(b) Why does it matter? It'll probably just drop when people realize how crappy this firm is.
(c) It doesn't. The firm sucks with or without debt at any level of seniority.
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2008, 15:52

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  43   44   45   46   47   48   49  ...  95    Next  [ 1889 posts ] 

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap