GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
CAT Tests
Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 02:56
Hi, can somebody help me with these concept questions?

1. Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative. For example we have a number 100 and it asks for how many distinct factors it has. Do we count the negative numbers too?

2. I came accross one question where in the answer it said "Factor of a Negative number is undefined" I can't find that question any more but can somebody validate this please?

Thank you very much.
Senior RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 03:32
alexlearning17 wrote:

1. Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative. For example we have a number 100 and it asks for how many distinct factors it has. Do we count the negative numbers too?

2. I came accross one question where in the answer it said "Factor of a Negative number is undefined" I can't find that question any more but can somebody validate this please?

Thank you very much.

Great question. I found this post which can help you https://gmatclub.com/forum/number-of-di ... l#p1121158

Let us know if you still have questions ?

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 03:37
workout wrote:
alexlearning17 wrote:

Thank you very much.

Great question. I found this post which can help you https://gmatclub.com/forum/number-of-di ... l#p1121158

THank you and how about the 2nd question? I couldn't find it anywhere.
Senior RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 03:46
alexlearning17 wrote:
workout wrote:
alexlearning17 wrote:

Thank you very much.

THank you and how about the 2nd question? I couldn't find it anywhere.

From the definition of a Factor, factors are possible for negative numbers.

But from GMAT perspective, factors are always POSITIVE. I also believe to remove ambiguity GMAT will always be more clear and use the term "positive factors" in question statements.

For your reference, more on Number theory here https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-number- ... 88376.html

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 12:47
alexlearning17 wrote:

Thank you very much.

I've never seen an official GMAT problem that asked about negative factors, so you probably don't have to worry about them either way.

I'd guess that the problem you're referring to wasn't an official problem, and it sounds like it might not have been a very well written problem, either! An answer choice saying 'factor of a negative number is undefined' doesn't sound very GMAT-like. Think about it like this: if that's the right answer to the problem, then you could pick that answer without even doing any work or really thinking about it, just because you memorized that fact. If it's the wrong answer, then you could eliminate it without doing any work. Either way, including an answer choice like that makes the problem easier for no reason and rewards people for just memorizing some random math fact, which the GMAT doesn't like to do. They'd rather make you do some mental work to get the answer.

The GMAT is also usually pretty clear when something could be ambiguous. If it's not totally obvious whether you're looking at positive numbers, or both positive and negative, the text of the problem will probably say something like 'f is a positive integer' to make it clear.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative? &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 12:47

Can distinct factors of a positive integer be negative?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap