It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can i ever get over it?[Need inputs on AWA]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 7

Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Can i ever get over it?[Need inputs on AWA] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2008, 21:46
AAs the subject of this mail says i keep on questioning myself can i ever get over with this GMAT, though it's just a "test"? Now, I am registered for 11th Nov'08.

A little about me: I am preparing for this test since September 2004 and i aspire to join Ivy League someday. Now, this is my ONLY introduction i can give you.

Since 2004, i tried taking GMAT 3-4 times, but either i postponed or cancelled the score. Why?hmmmmm........I just want it to be a perfect moment, when i CLICK the "accept the score" button after my GMAT. Honestly speaking i never felt so PERFECT (or felt so courageous) to click that button......and so, still i'm in the middle of nowhere.

Once again i put myself together to take up the test this November and i don't know what i will do on the test day? But, i want to unleash myself through this thread till then.....and probably after that.

Basis my experience about this test or any test of one's life:
- It's just a test take it and get over it/ MOVE ON
- It's good to be persistent but not like me.....there are always better things waiting for you. I skipped all those....don't commit that mistake.
- There will never be a perfect moment!

This odyssey has cost me my personal life and lot more......let's see how long it continues?

To start with.....please find attached xls on my prep plan.

This thread is like a realty show, which will keep updates of my life for next 30 days.

Through this thread i would like to talk about what i do? and how i feel?

Cheers!
GODSPEED

PS: I'm a non-native speaker so please bear with my writing errors.
Attachments

File comment: GMAT Game Plan
GMAT game plan_club.xls [15.5 KiB]
Downloaded 150 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by GODSPEED on 04 Nov 2008, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Can i ever get over it? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 01:06
Godspeed,

Mate I am cheering for you. If this has been on your mind since 2004, wow! I pray for you to hit your score and be over with on 11th Nov. :) (Perfection is a killer)

Just to let you know I myself have re-scheduled my exam for the 08-Nov-08. So if you need moral support I'm right here! Let's do this together and get past this stage of our lives. There is a lot more to life then GMAT, b-school or education in itself.

I will be keen to follow your events, keep us posted!

Cheers,

Sumi

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 16:24
Thanks sumidi

Current status:

Took, GMATPrepCAT-1: Idea is to solve as much problems as possible rather than just completing the test in stipulated time.

Completed the Quant section before time with 68% accuracy and Scaled score of 49 - scopre for improvement as got 12 Wrongs.
Could not complete the Verbal section, could reach till 31st problem only - accuracy 65% and scaled score 21

Worked on OG 11E.....

OG 11E
RC - accuracy@79%
CR - accuracy@80%
SC - accuracy@64%
DS - accuracy@78%
PS - accuracy@83%

Trying to maintain an error log....for the first time. I am already through with OG 10E, will redo it.....

LEARNINGS
I would prefer to stick with high accuracy levels in Quant & Verbal...just need to work more on average time spend per question in Verbal. And also need to work on quant fundamentals to push up accuracy levels.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2008, 22:26
Taking retired GMAT tests :evil: :evil: :evil:

Test Code 14: Performance, way below expectations:

Accuracy scores for 6 sections:
CR accuracy@94%
DS accuracy@100%
RC accuracy@61%
PS accuracy@100%
SC accuracy@50%
PS accuracy@75%

I really don't know what happened to me during RC & SC. it's 16 days to my real test.....I don't know wht to do about SC?

Learnings:

1. Time is a challenge in CR - 2minutes/que
2. Accuracy is a challenge in SC - below 70%
3. Need to stay focused during RC - otherwise pretty easy to get bumped
4. Quant - will try to finish off MGMAT challenge problems & 200 selected problems from notes

GODSPEED

PS: I am just looking at the accuracy and not at the scores, which are quite misleading in my case.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2008, 00:13
Hi Godspeed,

Its me again. I attempted an exam as well.
Im very impressed by your maths score. My key weaknesses in Maths currently are weighted average type questions. Complicated number properties. ( I got nailed by this question in the test and ended up costing me a lot in the end:- If p is the product of the integers from 1 to 30, inclusive, what is the greatest integer k for which 3k is a factor of p?

Here are my results.

PS - 92%
DS - 54% (lots of tricks, I stupidly fell for, the time also got to me)
SC - 67% (problem child for me as well, but I know where I am struggling, Im listening to my dratted ear. Its terrible I say. )
CR - 90% (my verbal strength)
RC - 75% (I got the entire last RC passage wrong, the lack of time put pressure on the mind and I couldn't focus)

Goal for tomorrow/weekend:
- Do another full test (minus essays to increase accuracy just as Godspeed)
- Go through all the OG Verbal Review SC questions I did incorrectly the first time.

Cheers,
Sumi

PS. Godspeed, mate, I have just made myself your study partner. Its motivating and I hope I can help/assist you somehow.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2008, 13:13
Hey Sumi!

Just came back from a movie and after a shot of Vodka i'm writing this.....please ignore the typos :drunk :drunk :drunk

I feel whenever accuracy goes down go back to your notes/basics and strike again.....it will gonna go up.....!!!

For Quant i would recommend take up OG 11E and 10E DS, do all of them, critically analyze them and strike back. It's no big deal. Same thing i will gonna do with SC.

Basic Principle: Learn the rules of the game and simply raise the bar! :good :good

I suppose that's all for the day rather night....hik....hik

Cheers!
GODSPEED...my friend...DEEPSDOG!!! hik....hik :drunk :drunk :drunk

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:35
Please rate my ESSAYS
------------------------------------------------------------------
ARGUMENT:

The following appeared as part of an article in the business section of a local newspaper.

“Motorcycle X has been manufactured in the United States for over 70 years. Although one foreign company has copied the motorcycle and is selling it for less, the company has failed to attract motorcycle X customers — some say because its product lacks the exceptionally loud noise made by motorcycle X. But there must be some other explanation. After all, foreign cars tend to be quieter than similar American made cars, but they sell at least as well. Also, television advertisements for motorcycle X highlight its durability and sleek lines, not its
noisiness, and the ads typically have voice-overs or rock music rather than engine-roar on the sound track.”

Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The author's conclusion, that it is not the motorcycle X's engine roar and but something else, making motorcycle X's customers to not switch to cheaper copied version of motorcycle X, is refutable. In support of the conclusion author presents facts: firstly, the example of car industry, where quiter foreign cars sell atleast as well as American made cars. Secondly, author mentions the motorcycle X's advertisement, which highlight motorcycle X's durability and sleek lines instead of engine roar and basis that he questions that how can engine roar could be reason for customer not to switch to cheaper copied version of motorcycle X.Conclusion of the author based on flawed assumption that purchasing patterns of customers towards a car and motorcycle are same. Also he falsely assumes since television advertisement of motorcycle X does not focus on engine roar so engine roar cannot be the reason for customers to stick to the motorcycle X. The argument is unconvincing because it suffers from primarily two critical flaws.

Firstly, the assumption that since quites foreign cars sell as well as american made cars, so should be the motorcycle. Author overlooks the fact that while purchasing a car cusotmers might evaluate features of a car different than those of a motorcycle, while purchaing a motorcyclcle. While making such comparison author should have mentioned why purchaing of a car is similar to purchaing of a motorcycle? Since, author overlooks logical facts while stating example of car industry, so the assumption basis the same is completely flawed.

Secondly, the author assumes that since advertisement of the motorcycle X does not highlight engine roar so how can customer would be preferring motorcycle X over copied verision basis engine roar? Author overlooks the fact that motorcycle X is in business for 70 years and so possibly motorcycle X's engine roar does not need any introduction and so highlights motorcycle X's other features. If, while stating this fact author would have looked at familiraity of motorcycle X's customers with the product.How well versed the motorcycle X's customers are with the engine roar of the motorcyle X? And how the motorcycle X is recongnized among it's cusotmers. For example is the brand recongnition through enigne roar or something else? Since, author concludes in lack of lagical facts so the conclusion made by author is flawed.

Conlusively, in lack of evidences author concludes that the reason for customers of motorcycle X not switching to copied version is not engine roar and something else is flawed. Because argument leaves out several key issues so it's not sound and persuasive. So i disgree with the authors opinion that the reason for customers of motorcycle X not switching to copied version is not engine roar and something else basis stated facts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISSUE:

Some employers who recruit recent college graduates for entry-level jobs evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics. However, other employers also expect applicants to have a broad background in such courses as history, literature, and philosophy.

Do you think that, in the application process, employers should emphasize one type of background — either specialization in business courses or a more varied academic preparation — over the other? Why or why not? Develop your position by using reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two issue at hand states that whether employers should recruit recent college graduates for entry-level jobs basis their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics or employers should evaluat applicants basis a broad background in courses such as history, literature, and philosophy?I shall present arguments favoring the latter statement and refuting the former statement.

Firstly, today's business world is very unpredictable and a candidate who comes from a broad based background is more suitable to handle the challenges than a candidate who comes with specialized courses. To state an example, in my previous organization my colleague was a history major with a business degree. In any of his work he used to bring in learnings from his history courses, at so many places his knowledge about histroy came handy to our team. If we were to analyze the characterstics graph of people, they bring up absolutely different leanings to the team and business. And the more the business world becomes volatile and unpredicatble everyday, it requires more cross domain knowledge than knowledge from single domain. And that's why candidates with broad background should be preferred over condidates with specific business courses.

Secondly, today's businesses demand continuous learnings and cross functional knowledge and in such a scenario a condidate with broad background fits in well than a candiate with certain functional domain knowledge. As we know if one needs to move up the ladder he needs to keep on expanding his knowledge domain. And a candidate from a broadbased background is easier to put on such a track than a candidate with a specific business courses.

Finally, if we were to take an example of B.L.Munjal CEO of Hero India Ltd., Munjal comes from history major without a business degree he made a fortune out of nothing from where he started. It was his broad background, which helped him intially in doing research of the market and help him in deciding where he sould set up his company? His broad background on different courses came handy at the time when he was setting up his business.

People who argue that employers should recruit recent college graduates for entry-level jobs evaluate applicants only on their performance in business courses such as accounting, marketing, and economics, should look at these examples. Conclusively, a candidate with a broad background should be preferred over candidate with background in specific business courses.

Current Student

Re: Can i ever get over it?[Need inputs on AWA] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2008, 13:00
Hey Godspeed,

I am not here to review your essays but I am here to tell you that thanks for everything mate, your heartfelt story and emotions are amazing... I got a 700 (Q50,V35), disappointed with verbal and I might need to redo but mate stick with it and you WILL get over the finish line.

PS, work with the gmat tests on this forum they will do amazing things to speed up your ability to detect traps in the real gmat exam.

sumi

Manager
Manager

Re: Can i ever get over it?[Need inputs on AWA] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2008, 17:30
sumidi wrote:
Hey Godspeed,

I am not here to review your essays but I am here to tell you that thanks for everything mate, your heartfelt story and emotions are amazing... I got a 700 (Q50,V35), disappointed with verbal and I might need to redo but mate stick with it and you WILL get over the finish line.

PS, work with the gmat tests on this forum they will do amazing things to speed up your ability to detect traps in the real gmat exam.

sumi

Hey Congrats!

Re: Can i ever get over it?[Need inputs on AWA]   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2008, 17:30

Can i ever get over it?[Need inputs on AWA]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap