GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can I still get into TOP European/Indian B schools - Please advise.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Can I still get into TOP European/Indian B schools - Please advise.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 02:07
Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian and I work in IT industry. I wrote GMAT 6 years back (got 680) and now I am planning to write again. I had multiple personal setback and couldn't even apply to any collages, though I don't have any regret because I was standing with my family. Now I will turn up 35 in coming November and will have a change in my profile. I need to understand, do I still have a chance and if yes then what else should I do to enhance my chances other than scoring a good GMAT score.

Before I would've started my application process, my father got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Fought cancer with him for 3 years but lost him. Fought my divorce in between and then I lost my cousin, who was my very close friend as well, to liver cirrhosis. All this happened and now I want to stop the suffering process and look forward for positiveness around.

I am an engineer with 2.5 CGPA from one of India's top private collage. Last month, I completed 13 years of work experience. I am into mid management role and currently take care of transition of projects from customer to vendor (my current organization) worth millions of dollars. I have been into people management and have experience in customer relations, customer satisfaction, global delivery, vendor management etc... I have worked with people across different continents. For all these 13 years, I have worked in 4 different companies (1 Indian, 1 French and 2 US) in different domains of IT industry and now I have put down my papers because what I am doing currently doesn't excites me at all and that was the primary reason why I wrote GMAT 6 years back, to shift my industry/domain. I did got opportunities to work in different countries, but I couldn't avail those as my family needed me for more important work and therefore I have ZERO year of experience of working in a different country.

I do have lots of extracurricular in collage and continue to follow some of those even till date.

Now, I am serving my notice period, post which I will go back to my native and start my stint with NGOs. I am planning to stick around for 2 years. I had a rough patch in last 6 years. I feel that I will come out of my suffering if I start doing something good for the society and be a part of change in my country. I am just not sure if this will add value or act as a hindrance in my application process. Irrespective, I have made up my mind and looking forward for my NGO stint.

Having given some of the background information, I would need advise on some of the below points:

1. Is it okay to apply in European B schools (IMD, HEC & INSEAD) & Indian B schools (IIM A & IIM C) with 15 years of experience, 13 years in IT industry and 2 years in NGO. I am confident that with all the time to myself, I can prepare well and cross 700 mark, however my aim is nothing less than 750.

2. I will have to speak with the consultants when time comes to understand the best way in which I can justify my shift from IT industry to NGO, however is this shift justifiable and will it be a value add or hindrance in my application process?

3. Any suggestions on what can I do in my next 2 years to solidify my chances in these 5 collages I mentioned above? My plan is to apply from Aug 2021 onward.

Looking forward for some frank opinions, suggestions & feedback. Would be more than happy to answer if anyone has any question..
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Can I still get into TOP European/Indian B schools - Please advise.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 20:22
Hi there! I'm sorry for how much loss you've suffered in these recent years & I admire you for wanting to make a positive impact in the world now. I actually think the shift to NGO will work really well, and you can use your personal story to explain why you're making this shift. That will go a long way towards helping you stand out given the competitive demographic you are coming from.

Your years of experience are going to be a significant challenge for full-time MBA programs (most want applicants with 3-5 yeras of experience), but you could consider executive MBAs as an option or part-time MBA programs as well.

I would also think hard about why you need the MBA & what you plan to do following graduation that requires it. The adcom wants to see strong, clear, specific post-MBA goals. You'll need to be ready to name the title you want in the ST & LT, 2-3 target organizations, the specifics of what you plan to accomplish in those roles, and WHY this is your passion.

If you need help thinking through your strategy & your story definitely reach out to us. In addition to helping people with their applications for b-school we also offer an Advanced Planning service for applicants like yourself who are thinking ahead & want to use their time wisely now so they can get into the best program possible down the road. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can share the details with you! Either way best of luck to you & I hope this time marks a new beginning for you!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Can I still get into TOP European/Indian B schools - Please advise.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado