It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can 'they' only refer to person/groups

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Can 'they' only refer to person/groups [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 11:34
Hi i have a small doubt ...Let me paste an example for the same

Recent psychological studies indicate that if children associate with and play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than children that lead relatively isolated lives.

(A) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than

(B) play with other children, they experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than do

(C) played with other children, they experienced fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than will

(D) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop more quickly socially than do

(E) played with other children, they have experienced fewer psychological problems and have developed more quickly socially than do

Doubt ; here "they" is available in every choice ; i thought "they" will refer to the subject of the sentence (in this case "Studies") isnt it ambiguous ??

isn't that right ??

Probably it wud have mad more sense if the sentence was : "Recent psychological study indicates............"

please explain.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

Re: Can 'they' only refer to person/groups [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 11:43
stallone wrote:
Hi i have a small doubt ...Let me paste an example for the same

Recent psychological studies indicate that if children associate with and play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than children that lead relatively isolated lives.

(A) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than

(B) play with other children, they experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than do

(C) played with other children, they experienced fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than will

(D) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop more quickly socially than do

(E) played with other children, they have experienced fewer psychological problems and have developed more quickly socially than do

Doubt ; here "they" is available in every choice ; i thought "they" will refer to the subject of the sentence (in this case "Studies") isnt it ambiguous ??

isn't that right ??

Probably it wud have mad more sense if the sentence was : "Recent psychological study indicates............"

please explain.

when every answer choice repeats what we generally consider an error, then we are being tested on something else. ( i know this is obvious, but this used to confuse me a lot in the beginning).

How I understand this example:
In this example, logically speaking studies do not/cannot experience psychological problems. So they is referring to students.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 12:37
thanks for the reply ; actually that is how i did ,but
my concern here is whether m right in my reasoning or not ?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 13:07
Hi stallone,

I may not be hundred percent accurate but I will try – It is one of Grammar 101s.

That – can act as 1. Subordinate conjunction or act as a start of the modifier phrase or triggers subjunctive.

If – a classical subordinate conjunction or introduces hypothetical element

In our case If clause is embedded in the Main “that” clause and because of that it’s not seeing outside “studies”

I hope this help!

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Re: Can 'they' only refer to person/groups   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2008, 13:07

Can 'they' only refer to person/groups

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap