GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 06:37

R1 Admission Decisions:

CMU Tepper in Calling R1 Admits   |  Kellogg Calls are Expected Shortly

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Can you use veritas prep books as your main prep material?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Can you use veritas prep books as your main prep material?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 22:02
I really like the veritas prep books, however, there are barely any reviews of them online. Most ppl seem to use, prefer and review MGMAT books. This is making me feel uneasy. Has anyone relied on veritas prep as their main study material?
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Can you use veritas prep books as your main prep material?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 22:38
VickyP wrote:
I really like the veritas prep books, however, there are barely any reviews of them online. Most ppl seem to use, prefer and review MGMAT books. This is making me feel uneasy. Has anyone relied on veritas prep as their main study material?
True, even I wonder why there are not many reviews about these materials. I have used Veritas sentence correction and Reading comprehension books and those are like really awesome.

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Asset Management (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 22:45
mnav wrote:
VickyP wrote:
True, even I wonder why there are not many reviews about these materials. I have used Veritas sentence correction and Reading comprehension books and those are like really awesome.

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
They are good to brush up the basics. But really not that 'GMAT' like. Can't rely entirely on them. I would suggest you stick to official material.

Sent from my SM-G955F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 01:54
VickyP wrote:

Hey VickyP ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

You need to understand that every GMAT prep company has its own strategies to tackle a question. Big companies such as Manhattan, Veritas, egmat, Magoosh provide awesome strategies to tackle any question.

The goal of a GMAT Taker should be to learn one strategy and master it.

I have seen alot many people who go with alot many different ways to tackle questions but don't end up mastering any. Everything of something is of no use here rather go with everything of something.

Therefore, as I mentioned previously, Veritas is a great resource if followed rigorously. So, you are all set.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 02:21
abhimahna great GMAT story! Did you get into your dream b-school?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 02:34
Yes, they are good to go to level 500 and 600, but for 700 veritas might not be sufficient. That's my personal opinion as I am stuck in V30's.
Now, I am going through articles and videos of GMATNinja and eGMAT. These materials are helping me understand nuances that were covered in Manhattan and Veritas, but not to the extent that I could master those. Hopefully, these new materials could help me to go from V33-34 to V40.

Do practice and analyse official questions because reading materials with easy examples is all together different than applying those concepts on hard verbal questions.

VickyP wrote:

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:38
VickyP wrote:
abhimahna great GMAT story! Did you get into your dream b-school?

Posted from my mobile device

Hey VickyP ,

Thank you. Yes, I did. Looks like you didn't read my MBA journey Story. (Link at my signature) :-)

Good Luck!

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 10:13
VickyP wrote:

Hi VickyP,

Manhattan is the most followed prep guides, but that does not mean others are not good. The only question is which Prep course suits you. They all have different strategies and they all are good almost. At the start of your prep, you can try few courses (pdf guide for all are available for free online). Then you should choose which one you like. I have used Veritas guides and they are as good as Manhattan guides. So you are on the right track. But no course is completely sufficient to score high. You need to search for higher level of questions separately after some time.

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 06:34
Hey VickyP
No disrespect at all to Veritas, who are quite good, but there are general reasons why studying exclusively from a book may be problematic.
While the GMAT is adaptive, books aren't - they give us a predetermined list of questions, with one-size-fits-all explanations. We can't get any feedback from books (aside from wrong/right), and there is also the interface component - it helps to study in a way which is similar to the text itself.

For more on this, take a look at this blog post: Why Books will Never Prepare your for GMAT
https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/books-wil ... -for-gmat/

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 10:30
Top Contributor
Indeed, there are limitations with any book approach.

Reading tips and tricks about how to do things is completely different from actually implementing this and thinking it through correctly - this is only possible in person with tutoring and through video.

As you study OG, we encourage you to follow along expert video explanations for the SC questions - links are provided in this shared Google doc:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f_ckd ... H1HmTgctJI

You'll get a better sense of what I'm referring to here. The techniques we teach simply can't be absorbed as well through a textbook.

You can learn more about GMAT Pill at:
http://www.gmatpill.com
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 19:08
Hi VickyP,

It sounds like you're in the early phase of your studies. Is that true? How much studying have you done so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Can you use veritas prep books as your main prep material? &nbs [#permalink] 31 May 2018, 19:08

Can you use veritas prep books as your main prep material?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap