GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 00:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Canadian medical student profile Review for GSB/HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Canadian medical student profile Review for GSB/HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 00:45
Hello!

Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile and providing feedback. I’m from Canada and aiming for a top U.S. MBA (specifically GSB or HBS). I’m planning to apply in round 1 for the class of 2021 (so I’m submitting my application by Sep 2018). Also going to apply to Knight-Hennessey at Stanford – would appreciate feedback on my competitiveness for this as well.

GRE: 329 (V163, Q166, AWA 5.5)

Undergrad: 3.97 cGPA from most competitive undergrad program in Canada (also top premed program)

Graduate: Doctor of Medicine (from highest ranked medical school in Canada)

Work Experience/Activities: MBA-level summer intern at MBB (McKinsey/Bain/BCG). Cofounded and currently building a stealth health-tech startup. No full-time work experience as entered medical school straight out of undergrad.

The main question I have is whether I should retake the GRE. I’m unsure about the accuracy of the reported GRE medians for HBS/GSB as they’ve only recently started accepting it. I know my score is decent, but I took the test after 1.5 weeks of prep as I was pressed for time (cold diagnostic was 323…V164, Q159), so I’m wondering if I should spend a bit more time for a better score, or just use that time to focus on the rest of my application? Alternatively, does it make more sense to instead take the GMAT, as there’s more certainty about where I should be scoring? My cold GMAT diagnostic (GMAT Prep 1) before studying for the GRE was a 690 (V42, Q42), so I think I can pull off the necessary score with a bit of practice. I know this is likely a moot point as my score is probably fine, but I’m just trying to make sure I maximize chances first time around.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Canadian medical student profile Review for GSB/HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there!

Excellent GPA! And great GRE performance too. Your score "converts" to a 720 (not a perfect conversion, but this is what the schools use). I think your score is high enough score for those schools, and you have the great GPA helping you too. I would only retake if you felt like you left some points on the table, because both schools will always take your highest attempt, it can't hurt to give it another shot. So if you think you can squeeze another point or two (probably most likely on verbal), I would go for it to maximize your chances. Otherwise, the score is just one part of your application and there are many other ways you can stand out (especially in your case with a less traditional background).

By the way, I would not switch to the GMAT. Will take too much effort and your GRE score is already higher.

The Knight-Hennessey program is very competitive from what I've heard -- I think only 100 accepted. They look for curious intellectuals and excellent leadership track record (much like the MBA program), and also people who are really driven to help others and improve their communities. So hopefully you can tie the mission of your startup into this.

Good luck!
Kate

mbahopeful3124 wrote:
Hello!

Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile and providing feedback. I’m from Canada and aiming for a top U.S. MBA (specifically GSB or HBS). I’m planning to apply in round 1 for the class of 2021 (so I’m submitting my application by Sep 2018). Also going to apply to Knight-Hennessey at Stanford – would appreciate feedback on my competitiveness for this as well.

Undergrad: 3.97 cGPA from most competitive undergrad program in Canada (also top premed program)

Work Experience/Activities: MBA-level summer intern at MBB (McKinsey/Bain/BCG). Cofounded and currently building a stealth health-tech startup. No full-time work experience as entered medical school straight out of undergrad.

The main question I have is whether I should retake the GRE. I’m unsure about the accuracy of the reported GRE medians for HBS/GSB as they’ve only recently started accepting it. I know my score is decent, but I took the test after 1.5 weeks of prep as I was pressed for time (cold diagnostic was 323…V164, Q159), so I’m wondering if I should spend a bit more time for a better score, or just use that time to focus on the rest of my application? Alternatively, does it make more sense to instead take the GMAT, as there’s more certainty about where I should be scoring? My cold GMAT diagnostic (GMAT Prep 1) before studying for the GRE was a 690 (V42, Q42), so I think I can pull off the necessary score with a bit of practice. I know this is likely a moot point as my score is probably fine, but I’m just trying to make sure I maximize chances first time around.

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 15:50
Thanks for the thorough reply, Kate. Super helpful! On the topic of retaking the GRE, I noticed that HBS' median GRE's are V164 and Q164 (converts to GMAT 710). This would put my score at just above the median. It seems like there's a discrepancy between the median scores for GRE (converts to 710) and GMAT (around 730). Thoughts on this?

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi there!

Excellent GPA! And great GRE performance too. Your score "converts" to a 720 (not a perfect conversion, but this is what the schools use). I think your score is high enough score for those schools, and you have the great GPA helping you too. I would only retake if you felt like you left some points on the table, because both schools will always take your highest attempt, it can't hurt to give it another shot. So if you think you can squeeze another point or two (probably most likely on verbal), I would go for it to maximize your chances. Otherwise, the score is just one part of your application and there are many other ways you can stand out (especially in your case with a less traditional background).

By the way, I would not switch to the GMAT. Will take too much effort and your GRE score is already higher.

The Knight-Hennessey program is very competitive from what I've heard -- I think only 100 accepted. They look for curious intellectuals and excellent leadership track record (much like the MBA program), and also people who are really driven to help others and improve their communities. So hopefully you can tie the mission of your startup into this.

Good luck!
Kate

mbahopeful3124 wrote:
Hello!

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 17:45
You bet, happy to help! That's not surprising. GMAT has been the more common test among b-schools, and definitely at HBS, where only 12% of the class applied with a GRE score. So with two different pools of applicants, you would expect the medians to be different. Plus, as of right now, GRE scores are not factored into most rankings, so some schools may be more willing to accept a lower GRE score (assuming you are still an awesome candidate of course!).

Keep me posted if we can help with anything else!
-Kate

mbahopeful3124 wrote:
Thanks for the thorough reply, Kate. Super helpful! On the topic of retaking the GRE, I noticed that HBS' median GRE's are V164 and Q164 (converts to GMAT 710). This would put my score at just above the median. It seems like there's a discrepancy between the median scores for GRE (converts to 710) and GMAT (around 730). Thoughts on this?

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Canadian medical student profile Review for GSB/HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap