GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Cancelled - 690 (Q44 V41 IR7)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
CAT Tests
Cancelled - 690 (Q44 V41 IR7)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 13:36
Sharing this so others might learn from my experience, or at the very least I can write my thoughts down and self-reflect.

My dream score is 720+.

Background Information
White, Male, 23 years old. Originally from Russia. Went to high school in England. Family immigrated to the US, so I tagged along and went to college in Massachusetts (very good small regional business school). Majored with a 3.5 in Economics & Finance (cum laude). Currently work for a large insurance/fin. services company in a 3 year rotational program (IT business analysis focus).

Materials Used:
GmatPrep Exam Packs 1 and 2
ManhattanPrep Guides 1 through 9
ManhattanPrep CATs (4 out of 6)
Gmatclub Youtube Videos (GMATNinja's verbal videos and Veritas' math videos)
Free trial of Veritas Orion (1 week one)
1 hour free trial of EmpowerGMAT.

and GMATClub free resources (duh...)

Timeline
August 31st, 2018 - First GMATPrep CAT - 620 Q41 V34 IR 4 (very confused how i got this IR4).

Was honestly pretty happy with my first score. I knew I wasn't going to score high 600's or low 700's. Honestly just wanted above 550.

After getting my first score, I determined that I should start with studying my quant. I used Manhattan Prep materials. I gave myself about one months to go through these exams. I would try to spend around 2hrs every day and 4-8hrs on the weekends. I was grinding through Quant books and doing sets of 10 Quant OG Problems using online tool Wiley Efficient Learning.

September 22nd, 2018 - Manhattan Prep 1 - 620 Q40 V35. Have heard that Manhattan prep was harder, so I wasn't upset, I though my math improved overall and I was okay with it.
Spent about a week improving on the errors from this CAT.

October 4th, 2018 - Manhattan Prep 2 - 640 Q41 V36. HA! Progress, right? lol 20 points, but I decided to to convince myself that since the GMATPrep is easier that ManhattanPrep CATs it was more like 40 or so point improvement. Time to grind Verbal.

Gave myself one month for just pure verbal training. Used ManhattanPrep books, GMATClub Verbal forum, GMATClub Youtube Channel, and the OG Guide for practice. SC was by far my worst section. Usually my errors were proportional: SC 4 wrong / RC 1 wrong / CR 1 wrong.

November 4th,2018 - Manhattan Prep 3 - 680 (Q44 V38) - Nice! Verbal improved and quant was better, even considering that I didn't really practice my Quant. On this one I ran out of time for Quant on the last 5, so I was pausing and solving (3 mins max).

November 10th, 2018 - GmatPrep CAT 2 - 700 (Q46 V40 IR8) - Oh my god! 700! Yay! Real exam conditions basically. Took verbal first, Quant second. Extremely happy with it.

Signed up for Orion's 1 week trial - grinded through it as far as possible. Really liked the product. Started reviewing weak areas.
November 18,2018 - Mahattan Prep 4 - 670 (Q43 V38). Did it just to practice my stamina and test taking strategies. For Quant gave myself extra 12 minutes. For Verbal I ran out of time for 1 question... so I think I was penalized for it. Just completely lost track of time.

Around this time I signed up for the GMAT Club Tests. Started by making custom quizzes for myself.

November 22nd, 2018 - GMATClub Quant CAT - Q41 - wow they are hard. people werent kidding.
November 23rd, 2018 - GmatPrep CAT 3 - 700 (Q48 V37 IR7) - Did Quant first this time. It was over Thanksgiving, so I though it was a good performance after feasting and drinking lol.
November 31st, 2018 - GMATClub Quant CAT - Q45
December 1st, 2018 - GMATClub Quant CAT - Q35 - Huh? What happened here? Decided to erase it from my memory.
December 2nd, 2018 - GmatPrep CAT 4 - 720 (Q49 V39 IR8) - Did Quant first again. Was pumped after it, so happy.

Last week
December 4th - GMATClub Quant CAT - Q45 - that's more like it
December 5th - GMATClub Quant CAT - Q48 - really focused for this one, was very happy with it. Though that my mindset was same as when I got my 720 on the last mock exam. 100% accuracy on 500 and 600 level questions, 43% on 700 level.

Tried to do a lot of error log problems, reviewing my common errors. Honestly was very worried about under-performing on verbal. Decided to take verbal first and quant second.

The day before the exam
Read some wall street journal, did some very light revision, played a lot of video games (Got my first COD Black Ops 4 Blackout win! ;) ). Went to a nice dinner. Went to bed early.

Exam Day - December 8th,2018

Arrived 35 mins early, was allowed to start early. Did Verbal first then Quant. Verbal was hard, but I thought I did fair on it. Quant seemed easy, but I think that's when I should have realized that things didn't go as planned. On the last 3 questions of the Quant I had 1 min per question. Pacing wasn't there.

Final Score: 690 (Q44 V41 IR7). Best Verbal, buy far the worst Quant in a while. I was very disappointed. Saw score - thought for 2 seconds - cancelled it. Not sure what happened.... definitely not the way I envisioned this day. Told the exam supervisor that I will see her again! :D

Next steps:
Going to be doing a fair bit of travelling over Xmas/New Years. Wont be able to do too much solid studying until end of January. Planning to just do light revision through out - to keep my skills sharp. Will dedicate 2 more months of studying starting end of January. Planning to reschedule for Late February/Early March. Clearly my math is not good enough to ensure Q48+, so my primary focus is going to be there. I believe that my Verbal is good, so I am not too worried about it. As GMATNinja told me the skill difference between V40-V45 is rather minor, but nevertheless it does help if my Verbal will go up from V41.

Planning on buying EmpowerGMAT or a similar solution to help me study and keep me more organized. Also I dont think I can comfortably say that I used my error log to the full potential. I used the error log only on the GMATClub for Quant and GMAT Wiley for Quant and Verbal. But that was more of just making sure I knew which questions I havent solved correctly and once I have solved them, I have never revisited them. Dont think that was smart of me.

730+ I am coming for you.

Appreciate any advice and welcome all of your questions!
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: Cancelled - 690 (Q44 V41 IR7)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 04:26
Your quant had a nice uptrend till the end of November, but then fluctuated between high and low 40s in December (incl actual CAT). Based on those numbers a Q44 seems rather fair. Score consistently high and get high (unless you're lucky!). I can't vouch for a particular course.

Happy studying
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 15:29
Hi almazovniko,

To start, a 690/Q44 is a strong Score (it's above the 85th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. That having been said, there's no harm in retesting - and you have a great opportunity to pick up some serious points in the Quant section. You're actually closer to a 730+ than you probably realize, so if you focused on the proper Quant Tactics, then you could potentially retest with a month (or less) of additional study and hit your Score Goal.

That having been said, if you're not going to be able to restart your studies until the end of January, then I suggest that you restart at that time with a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). GMAT skills tend to fade over time, so we'll need to define your skills, strengths and weaknesses before you get back into full study mode.

Beyond that, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 18:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Looking to apply in 2021 to start in 2022. I am definitely under no time pressure. Just want to secure a good score now, so I can spend the next few years building up other aspects of my application.

Still doing my research on the schools. Primarily looking for schools that have strong accelerator programs. Really-really want to start my own business, strategy consulting would be my back up option. During the exam I selected the following: Harvard, MIT, Columbia, Ross, and Tuck.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 21:43
Hi almazovniko,

Since you're not facing any immediate application deadlines, retesting - with the goal of scoring higher in the Quant section - would make a lot of sense. In that same way, you can decide how 'efficient' you want to be about this next phase of your studies.

1) When will you officially be 'off'/traveling for the holidays?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 06:06
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Planning to resume serious studying in mid/late January, depends how busy Q1 at work will be (travelling mid December - mid January). I will be doing some practice problems every few days and reading over Manhattan Quant books in the mean time, don't want to get too rusty.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 09:38
philipssonicare

Thank you for the feedback. I definitely need to improve my math skills. Good thing is that the Quant score is arguably the easiest to boost :) I would say Q46-47 was fair.... Q44 was a gut punch, given that I started with Q42.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 13:24
Hi almazovniko,

Your general timeline/plan sound fine. Once you get back into 'study mode' after the holidays and taken that next practice CAT, you should post back here with your Scores. We can then discuss the results and how best to proceed.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 10:22
Hi almazovniko,

Thank you for sharing your story. I certainly can provide advice regarding your study plan moving forward; however, since you are not going to pick up your studying until the end of January, reach back out then, and I’ll be happy to provide some detailed advice.

Also, since you are looking to improve your quant score, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to improve your GMAT quant score.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 19:11
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Just purchased a 3 months subscription to EmpowerGMAT with 6 months of GMAT Club CATs. Do your recommend going with the 2 month study plan? Signed up for March 9th for my retake. This means I have 2 months till the exam date.

Best,
Nikolay
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 20:11
Hi Nikolay,

Since it's been about a month since you took the Official GMAT - and you're coming off of some 'down time' from your studies - it would help to see how you score on a full-length CAT. As such, I strongly recommend that you take a CAT that you have NOT taken before and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, we can discuss the results and how best to proceed. You can feel free to PM or email me your results if you like.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cancelled - 690 (Q44 V41 IR7) &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jan 2019, 20:11

Cancelled - 690 (Q44 V41 IR7)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap