GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 17:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Career Advice

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Career Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 22:07
Hello,

I need some guidance and information regarding the Business schools. I am planning to do MBA and preparing for GMAT. I want to understand to what extent MBA can be helpful. I have close to 8years of experience in banking and asset management. I have completed all three levels of CFA examination and I have done masters in statistics from a reputed institute in India. I want to understand will MBA help boost my career? My concern is whether I am too late to enroll for it as I will be almost 34 when I start my MBA. Also, looking for advice if I go for MBA which schools should I look for and what GMAT score will be required.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Career Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 10:19
upama85 wrote:
Hello,

I need some guidance and information regarding the Business schools. I am planning to do MBA and preparing for GMAT. I want to understand to what extent MBA can be helpful. I have close to 8years of experience in banking and asset management. I have completed all three levels of CFA examination and I have done masters in statistics from a reputed institute in India. I want to understand will MBA help boost my career? My concern is whether I am too late to enroll for it as I will be almost 34 when I start my MBA. Also, looking for advice if I go for MBA which schools should I look for and what GMAT score will be required.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Average age at most top schools is between 27-29, so you are little old for full time MBA programs but it all depends on (1) what you want to do after MBA. (2) why you need MBA at this point of your career. If you have convincing answers for these questions, it will help strengthen your application.

For your other questions, feel free to participate in our weekly MBA chat and get answers from MBA experts... https://gmatclub.com/forum/wed-july-12- ... 44059.html
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 13:30
Well the only way I can answer that question is to ask you a question. What are you looking to get out of an MBA? How are you looking to boost your career? Change career? Move up in your current career? Round out your skill set, to address skill gaps? Your answer to your question starts with you. You seem to have strong academic and professional experience so you should think through why you are even considering an MBA at all

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 15:49
That age is above the average of most business schools, but you shouldn't rule yourself out entirely. If you have clear goals about why you want to attain an MBA and how that will help your future, then you can give it a shot for sure. Another option you may want to consider is the Executive MBA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 22:33
Hi upama85,

The biggest challenge applicants with considerable work experience face is on the job front. An overwhelming majority of the recruitment at B-schools will put you in the starting bracket with other students who may have had just 3-4 years work experience. But most older applicants wouldn’t want to completely discount their earlier experience. At some of these jobs, you may not even be a good fit because of higher age.

That’s why you need to have a clear post-MBA career roadmap which doesn’t preclude your past experience. And that can often mean leading your own recruitment effort through alumni network or other resources at the school. Articulating this goal and why you need an MBA to achieve that can be pivotal in such applications.

You may find this article relevant in this regard:

Are You 30+? MBA Programs May Have 3 Concerns on Your Application

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Career Advice   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2017, 22:33

Career Advice

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap