GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Career Help (Part time or Full time)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Career Help (Part time or Full time)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 08:12
Hi Guys,

I am currently looking for some help/advice on my current situation and what path I should take moving forward.

I am 26 years old and have a BMath from Uwaterloo and am currently working in the securities operation department for one of the bigger insurance companies. I passed level 1 CFA (&CSC) and will be writing my level 2 next June. I, like most pursuing the CFA designation, am looking to get into an analytical role within the investment field.

I am finding that it is has been pretty hard getting relevant interviews for roles I apply online. The reason I am looking into an MBA is because even with Level 2 passed, I have a feeling it will be hard to break into the investment analytical role. I have actually a few friends who passed all 3 levels of CFA and still working within the operational side. I feel a lot of these guys are ‘stuck’ because they have been in the operational role for a long time and pay is actually not garbage if you’re working for one of the bigger pension firms. (My friend makes 65k in an operational role at CPP for a fairly entry level role). But regardless of pay, I do not want to get stuck in this field. I have been in the operational side for about year and half and another year in sales (FSR).

I am currently studying for my GMAT and wondering what you guys think is the best option:

1)Do Part time MBA and apply to internal roles once I start studying. My company surprising has more investment related roles on our internal portal than insurance related roles.

2)Do full-time MBA and get a fresh start. After I graduate, I apply to all the rotational program or an internship somewhere after

I have posted on other forums and people are saying to do option 2.

What do you guys think? Any advise or help is welcome! (Sorry for the long post!)
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V36
Re: Career Help (Part time or Full time)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 08:37
Hi Rosenberg,

I am no expert in insurance industry, but the general rule of thumb of career progression within a company is somewhat linear to the growth of the company. Back-office roles generally do not give much interactions to new people, and therefore exposures to new opportunities. This might differ from companies to companies, but considering the high level of ratio of supervisors to subordinates in an operational role (especially in insurance companies), the consensus of being 'stuck' in a position is common.

In general if you want a switch of career, it is probably better to do a full time MBA. While different B-Schools have different curriculums and program, it is very important to do networking and relevant internships. Based on what you have written here, I am guessing that you might not like the repetitive side of operational tasks you are having now, and is eager for new careers that involves broader job scope and, lets say, better career ladder as well. I get a hunch that you are looking for a career in IB related sectors. It is one of the most competitive jobs around, and the level of competition among students in finding internships and networking are very high. Needless to say, an excellence of academic result is a necessity, except on few rare cases. I personally think, although it is not impossible to do the things I have mentioned above, it will be a very very difficult task by doing all those things while having a full-time job.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 03:21
Hello,

You can do bhm course in leading University . Hotel management colleges in dehradun India industry is growing sector to make career in hotel management industry. bhm course in dehradun is popular course. It helps students to increase their presentation and culinary skills.It helps students placed in hotels and resorts of foreign and india also.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 02:29
What an informative discussion, Thanks for giving the best support ever.
Re: Career Help (Part time or Full time) &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jul 2018, 02:29

Career Help (Part time or Full time)

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap