Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 18:07 It is currently 13 May 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Career in Physics after M.Sc. [#permalink]
The Following list shows some of the common job types and Employment areas for Physics graduate:

Job Types:

Lab Supervisor
Researcher
Technician
Teacher
Scientist
Consulting Physicist
Research Associate
Senior Physicist
Assistant Scientist
Radiation Oncologist
Radiolist
Professor
Main Employment Areas:

Research Insititutes
    Laboratories and Insititutes
    Educational Insititutes
    Agriculatural Research services
    Hospitals
    Power Generating Companies
    Aviation Industry
    Construction Firms
    Demolition Squads
    Protechnics Manufactures

Graduates in Msc Physics can Physics can find different jobs in public and private sector. There are many opportunities available for Msc physics in technical field. you can work as Observations scientist, Assitant Scientist, Quality control Manager, Laboratory technician, School Science Technician or Research Analyst in any government or private institutions.

Private Sector Jobs after Msc Physics:

There are many opportunities available in IT Field for Physics graduates. many IT companies such as Infosys, Wipro and CTS are recruiting Msc Physics graduates for software jobs. You can also get jobs in Energy Plants, Automobile Industry.

Government Jobs after Msc Physics:

There are vast opportunties available for msc Graduates in government sector. They can apply for jobs in scientific Research and Development organisations such as

The defence Research and Development Prganistaion (DRDO),

Physics Research Laboratory Ahmedabad,

shah Institute of Nuclear Physics Kolkota and Nuclear science centre New delhi.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
ravimahawar wrote:
M.Sc. in Physics is a course which focus on both theoretical and practical aspects. Candidates who will pursue for masters can get lots of career opportunities in public as well as in private sector.
After completion of M.Sc. Following will be the career opportunities for the aspirants:
Career om Energy Plants, automobile industries.
Career in Scientific Research and Development Organizations like DRDO, BARC, ISRO etc.
Civil services like IAS, IFS and IPS.
Govt Jobs.
Career in Abroad
So, these were the best areas for the aspirants who completes their post-graduation in Physics.
For pursuing masters in India, candidates need to appear in entrance exams like IIT JAM, JEST, GATE, NEST and others.
You must go for IIT JAM Entrance Exam. IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.) is one of the most reputed institute in India through which candidate gets the admission In IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) and IISc (Indian Institute of Science).

Can you throw some light about "career in abroad"?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Well… every time when somebody makes this inquiry, it truly makes me slither inside my skin. Its the eekiest question ever, particularly relevant to MSc Physics. I am almost certain, the person who has such an inquiry at the top of the priority list is generally searching for circumstances where there is cash, way of life and all at the most punctual. He/she never comprehended Physics in any case, however he/she may be a rank holder, no offense.

Material science at its center is simply a Philosophy. Also, a Philosopher can generally disregard common issues, for example, 'profession'. Having said as much, it doesn't mean Physicist don't profit and are loner, however its entirely difficult to anticipate things from life or accomplish what the world things one should. So given me a chance to break this answer in its division:

A) Settling in life as a Physicist

B) Settling in life wih a MSc Degree

Lets state you seek after your MSc (ideally from best organizations in India) at 20 years old. So when you complete MSc you are 22. You need to wind up a Physicist! You need to investigate nature, laws of nature decisively. You discover excellence in conditions. You have a skill of doing tests and not instrumentation. You may do instrumentation as far as measuring sensor data transfer capacity, aligning gadgets and so on. You cherish stars, systems. You may like the irritating but shocking subject called Quantum Mechanics. You are flabbergasted by taking in the life stories of the greats, for example, Marie Curie, Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Pauli, Dirac, Max Born and in that capacity.

You likewise observe that a portion of your instructors are exquisite physicist. They make you feel Physics is a science that makes you visionary. You see their method for clarifications and get a joy that is superior to anything sex, might be. So with everything taken into account Physics is your life now, you chose. You need to settle as a Physicist. Turn into a Scientist as well as Professor. Presently comes the street (ask the one's you travel, regardless of whether it was troublesome or not; I would prefer not to be the harbinger of any news) that is totally long adventure.

2 years of MSc and in the event that you need to wind up a Teacher, there are two channels.

an) If you need to educate in a Junior College Teacher, you got the chance to seek after B.Ed. post MSc. (I will rehash this and again now) If there is an opening you will get the opportunity to begin to would what you like to. Beginning pay in State Govt College - Rs. 40,000/ -

b) If you need to educate in an UG/PG College/Univ Teacher, you to break a qualification test called UGC-CSIR NET (National Eligibility Test), ideally in 1 or 2 endeavors. On the off chance that there is an opening you will get the chance to begin to would what you like to. Beginning pay is same all over India - Rs. 50,000/ -

By and by I would state, these are the most effortless courses. Go for this and this as it were.

2 years of MSc and in the event that you need to wind up a Scientist, you have far to go. There are two courses to achieve the equivalent.

You start your post MSc instruction life in India and furthermore start proficient life here.

You start your post MSc training life in India and start proficient life outside India.

You start your post MSc instruction life outside India and start proficient life in India.

You start your post MSc instruction life outside in India and furthermore proficient life outside India.

a) Lets state you start your life in India and furthermore end it here: First you got the opportunity to complete a PhD., which will be for the most part after a placement test and meeting in India's best Institute. You got the chance to break National Exams, for example, CSIR UGC NET JRF or GATE or JEST or each Univ/Inst's very own test. PhD in India takes 6 to 7 years (places like IISc and subjects like Theoretical Physics) for the most part. Test Physis may take near 6 years. Post PhD you got the opportunity to accomplish something many refer to as Post Doc (Post Doctoral Work Experience). Presently it is suggested that you do this because of India even you do PhD in India. It relies upon your PhD work, the nature of paper distribution, the diary you get it distributed to, your PhD chief's expert contacts outside India, the subsidizing accessible amid the time you complete your PhD, you may get a Post Doc Fellowship (PDF) out of India. My perception demonstrates that individuals from best Institutes in India (TIFR, IMSc, BARC, and so forth.) go to Europe for PDF. Clearly there is the thing that the partnership lies. Maybe a couple of them get the chance to go to US or Canada, contingent upon incredible nature of work. Some veer to Aus/NZ. The most exceedingly terrible parcel goes to Korea or Japan, I don't know why it is in this way, yet that is the means by which it has been for as far back as 30 years or somewhere in the vicinity.

So you line it up with least 2 or most extreme 3 post docs abroad. What's more, presently you return to India and chase for employments. Generally individuals what they do is continue sending sends to every one of the spots they can discover occupations, Univ or Institutes and look for something many refer to as Job Talk. What is that? Well you look for a 1 day class opportunity. You give a discussion on your work (PhD to 2/3 PDF). You endeavor to awe the Institutes chiefs. Indeed if there is an opening you will get the chance to begin to would what you like to. Presently a days there are plans, for example, UGC FRP or DST INSPIRE or Ramanujam Fellowship which can give you a multi year work in your preferred place. Be that as it may, these are not changeless recall. So the chiefs can approach you to apply for such cooperations and participate in the event that there isn't opening. Anyway, if there is an opportunity you will get the chance to begin to would what you like to.

At this point 2 years of MSc + 6 years of PhD + 4 years of PDF (2 post doc) = 12 years of instruction post BSc. Your age is around 33 and now you are going to land your first position.

b) Now lets perceive how does the scene of starting your post MSc training life in India and start proficient life outside India: This one truly require a ton than meets the eye. I would state, beginning from your UG training, ideally from IITs and so on yet redundant. A significant number of such part have done wonderful research as a rule without IIT labels. I salute such prodigies. So you complete an incredible PhD under an extraordinary researcher in an extraordinary Lab, your odds are genuinely great. How would you do that? I am sad I have no clue and the ones who got it, even they didn't know its going to be so incredible. Sheer fortunes I state. Way stays same. Do PhD (6 years), 2 Post Docs (4 years) = 10 years (least). Other than a decent paper distributions, nothing can get you an occupation in the western world as an Assistant Prof or Research Scientist.

c) Lets talk about post MSc training life outside India and start proficient life in India: This one's extremely insane advance, yet many do. Some seek after PhD in US (contingent upon self subsidizing or grant and so on.), some in Europe (Germany, Sweden, Netherlands - extremely hard to get PhD here dissimilar to US/Canada) and complete 2/3 post docs crosswise over various nations and after that return to India and pursues the way referenced in a). A significant number of the IIT Profs are a piece of such models, the Engineering ones I mean. However, generally your age will be same, around 35 when you find an occupation. Some may land positions in unadulterated research instittues, for example, BARC, TIFR, IMSc, HRI and so on.

d) Now comes my most loved and amid your MSc each Prof may recommend you this - post MSc training life outside in India and furthermore proficient life outside India: Follow c) and b) in combo. This would be the best vocation ever.

Regardless, MSc + PhD + PDF, you can generally join as Asst Prof in UG/PG at any College or Univ, yet again if there is an opportunity you will get the chance to begin to would what you like to.

There is another simple channel like Post MSc + NET and than Asst Prof.! Preparing School of DRDO or BARC for Scientific Officer. Post MSc you break BARC Entrance Exam and Interview of BARC Training School (OCES) and after that you are specifically delegated as Scientific Officer in BARC following a multi month fruitful fulfillment of thorough preparing. Despite the fact that BARC basically is certainly not an incredible place to be a researcher however its to be sure an extraordinary vocation. You bring home the bacon as a Physicist here and there.

So in outline -

MSc + BEd = Lecturer in Jr. Universities

MSc + NET Lectureship = Asst Prof. UG/PG

MSc + PhD + PDF = Asst Prof or Scientist

MSc + BARC Exam = Scientist

Some are opportunity needy and some are financing subordinate. The uncertainities are part. Consequently I stated, I creep into my skin. Either do Physics since you adore it and abandon it to predetermination how things proceed or seek after some other vocation on the off chance that you are searching for chance to profit and settle asap. Commonly in different callings one settles by 35 as a Manager to be exact. By 35, one may have been hitched, had 1 or 2 children and house and vehicle whose credit emi you are fit enough to pay. Being in a Senior position makes your life part extraordinary at that age than beginning your position at that age. Consequently I said Physics isn't intended to be thought in the common issues. Do it or overlook it. Way is troublesome. For a few, being fortunate, numerous things they profit calm. Most likely no botheration to bring home the bacon in any case. A portion of my associates who originate from Army foundation or children of landowner, dealers or brokers, by chance landed positions at early age. Did not need to chase for employments. In any case, at that point there are individuals who made it in the above channel as well. So, I would state, its your call. Try not to seek after Physics like other subjects' vocation alternatives. Better go for MCA or MBA post BSc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Graduates in M.Sc Physics can without much of a stretch benefit from specialized positions, both in the private and public area. A portion of the normal occupation positions or profiles for a physical science aficionado are Online coach, College teacher, Assistant Professor, Observation Scientist, Laboratory Technician, School Science Technician or Research Analyst, Assistant Scientist, Physics Training Manager, Software Engineer, Network Administrator, IT Consultant, Security Expert, Java Developer, Systems Support Administrator, Interface Engineer and so on

They can go after positions in Aerospace and Defense, Automobile, IT and Software, Railways, Nuclear and Renewable energy, Oil and Gas, Electronics and Telecommunications and the Manufacturing area.
GMAT Club Bot