GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 06:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:01) correct 18% (00:50) wrong based on 44 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route to City B. Car X takes 30 minutes to complete the trip and car Y takes 20 minutes. Which of the following must be
true?

I. The average miles per hour at which car X traveled was greater than the average miles
per hour at which car Y traveled.

II. The distance between the cities is 30 miles.

III. The average miles per hour at which car Y traveled was greater than the average miles
per hour at which car X traveled.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Expert Post
Top Contributor
CEO
CEO
P
Re: Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 07:25
Top Contributor
rohan2345 wrote:
Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route to City B. Car X takes 30 minutes to complete the trip and car Y takes 20 minutes. Which of the following must be true?

I. The average miles per hour at which car X traveled was greater than the average miles per hour at which car Y traveled.

III. The average miles per hour at which car Y traveled was greater than the average miles per hour at which car X traveled.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

I. The average miles per hour at which car X traveled was greater than the average miles per hour at which car Y traveled.
We're told that Car X takes 30 minutes to complete the trip, and Car Y takes 20 minutes.
If Car Y takes LESS TIME to complete the trip, it must be the case that Car Y's SPEED IS GREATER than Car X's speed.
So, statement I is FALSE
ELIMINATE A, D and E

Since we don't know the speed of either car, we can't conclude that the distance is 30 miles.
For example, the distance COULD be 60 miles. If Car X's speed were 120 miles per hour, then its travel time would be 30 minutes, and if Car Y's speed were 180 miles per hour, then its travel time would be 20 minutes.
Since this scenario (in which the distance between the cities is 60 miles) meets the given conditions, we can conclude that statement II is FALSE
ELIMINATE B

By the process of elimination, the correct answer is ....

RELATED VIDEOS

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 08:07
rohan2345 wrote:
Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route to City B. Car X takes 30 minutes to complete the trip and car Y takes 20 minutes. Which of the following must be
true?

I. The average miles per hour at which car X traveled was greater than the average miles
per hour at which car Y traveled.

III. The average miles per hour at which car Y traveled was greater than the average miles
per hour at which car X traveled.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

700 level - no way. It gives you two statements I and III opposite to each other, allowing you to eliminate choices without any efforts.

Distance is SAME and time spent is different..
Clearly one travelling in LESS time has more speed
So car Y is traveling faster. Hence III is correct and I is wrong.
Only possibility is C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Director
Director
P
Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 08:09
GMATPrepNow wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:
Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route to City B. Car X takes 30 minutes to complete the trip and car Y takes 20 minutes. Which of the following must be true?

III. The average miles per hour at which car Y traveled was greater than the average miles per hour at which car X traveled.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

We're told that Car X takes 30 minutes to complete the trip, and Car Y takes 20 minutes.
If Car Y takes LESS TIME to complete the trip, it must be the case that Car Y's SPEED IS GREATER than Car X's speed.
So, statement I is FALSE
ELIMINATE A, D and E

Since we don't know the speed of either car, we can't conclude that the distance is 30 miles.
For example, the distance COULD be 60 miles. If Car X's speed were 120 miles per hour, then its travel time would be 30 minutes, and if Car Y's speed were 180 miles per hour, then its travel time would be 20 minutes.
Since this scenario (in which the distance between the cities is 60 miles) meets the given conditions, we can conclude that statement II is FALSE
ELIMINATE B

By the process of elimination, the correct answer is ....

RELATED VIDEOS

Hi Brent

never mind ..,but it is considered that both cars traveled continuously :wink:

otherwise NONE is best option
Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2017, 08:09

Cars X and Y leave City A at the same time and travel the same route

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap