GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 07:35

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years'

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.97
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Sep 2014, 22:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:22) correct 28% (01:37) wrong based on 464 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years' experience selling automobiles, and they regularly sell more cars than other local dealers. Despite this, CarStore has recently implemented a mandatory training program for all sales personnel.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the facts given above?

A) The sales personnel in CarStore have historically specialized in aggressively selling automobiles and add-on features.

B) Salespeople at other local dealers average 10 years' experience.

C) It is common for new or less experienced employees to participate in training programs.

D) Pricing information, which used to be confidential, has recently been released on the internet, and many customers try to negotiate lower prices using this data.

E) Several retailers that compete directly with CarStore use "customer-centered" sales approaches.

Originally posted by khatia_ch on 24 Sep 2014, 22:30.
Last edited by Gnpth on 24 Sep 2014, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
formatted the topic
Board of Directors
P
CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 02:47
which is the discrepancy ??

Nevertheless the huge personell's experience, they must have further training.

All but D are out of scope. In D there is a clear reason to gain new insights about a new scanario; insights that was not previously known.

Hope this helps.

Do not esistte to ask if something remains unclear to you

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 12:04
the new training program would be necessary if the experience in sales is not sufficient. e.g. new cars with new features/electronics that require training to understand.

A) The sales personnel in CarStore have historically specialized in aggressively selling automobiles and add-on features.
well, this does not explain the reason why every employee needs to get trained.

B) Salespeople at other local dealers average 10 years' experience.
out of scope. we are interested only with employees at CS.

C) It is common for new or less experienced employees to participate in training programs.
the argument discusses all employees, not new or less experienced. - out.

D) Pricing information, which used to be confidential, has recently been released on the internet, and many customers try to negotiate lower prices using this data.
Looks good. If the customers try to negotiate lower prices, then everyone would need to be trained how to negotiate so that to not lower the price.

E) Several retailers that compete directly with CarStore use "customer-centered" sales approaches.
does not explain why everyone needs to go through training program.

D for me.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 14:01
I am not able to understand how is D preferred over E. Both the options mention about some new techniques, which if employed would require additional training. Could someone please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 14:51
IMO D.

The argument says that even thought the sales guys have fifteen years experience and sell more regularly, still "all" sales personnel are required to undergo a mandatory training. Keyword- all, from less experienced to more experienced. Why? Maybe there are some recent changes that the dealer wants them to learn about, or maybe there are new launches that they should learn about or maybe the cars they deal with have undergone huge technical changes so they should be more prepared to handle customer queries. With this pre-thinking, let us look at the answer choices.
A. Does not explain why they need to be trained now. Incorrect.
B. Irrelevant. Incorrect.
C. We are concerned about "all" sales personnel not those who are new or who have less experience. Incorrect.
D. Certainly in line with our pre-thinking. Hold.
E. We don't know about what sales strategies CarStore's sales guys use. Maybe they are already using the said strategy, maybe not. Incorrect.

Hence, D.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 23:48
poul_249 wrote:
I am not able to understand how is D preferred over E. Both the options mention about some new techniques, which if employed would require additional training. Could someone please clarify.

Hi !!
What I understand of E is that it talks about a sales strategy that the competitors use, but as it is explicitly stated in the argument that the competitors still "lag behind", option E is not strong enough to be the most correct answer.

Hope it helps..[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 04:09
SonalSinha803 wrote:
poul_249 wrote:

Hi !!
What I understand of E is that it talks about a sales strategy that the competitors use, but as it is explicitly stated in the argument that the competitors still "lag behind", option E is not strong enough to be the most correct answer.

Thanks for the clarification. I got it :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 23:06
poul_249 wrote:
SonalSinha803 wrote:
poul_249 wrote:

Hi !!

Thanks for the clarification. I got it :)

You're most welcome [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

GMAT Club Bot
Re: CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years' &nbs [#permalink] 28 Feb 2018, 23:06

CarStore's sales personnel have an average of fifteen years'

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap