Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 23 Jul 2019, 23:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
V
Reviews Badge
Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 08:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:28) correct 23% (01:43) wrong based on 137 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups they supervise from best to worst, giving each worker a unique ranking based on job performance. The top 10 percent of the workers in each group are rewarded and the bottom 10 percent are penalized or fired. But this system is unfair to workers. Good workers could receive low rankings merely because they belong to groups of exceptionally good workers. Furthermore, managers often give the highest rankings to workers who share the manager’s interests outside of work.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion drawn in the argument?

(A) Some companies require their managers to give unique rankings to the workers they supervise.
(B) Under the ranking system, the top 10 percent of the workers in each group are rewarded and the bottom 10 percent are penalized or fired.
(C) The ranking system is not a fair way to determine penalties or rewards for workers.
(D) Workers in exceptionally strong work groups are unfairly penalized under the ranking system.
(E) Managers often give the highest rankings to workers who share the manager’s outside interests.

B
CAT Tests
Re: Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 10:05
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Re: Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 10:21
prototypevenom wrote:

prototypevenom

D is incorrect because it is a premise supporting the main conclusion that the policy is unfair. E is similarly wrong.
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 10:24
anothermillenial wrote:
prototypevenom wrote:

prototypevenom

D is incorrect because it is a premise supporting the main conclusion that the policy is unfair. E is similarly wrong.

isn't supporting the conclusion supposed to mean correct answer?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 22:27
Can someone elaborate why D is wrong?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 22:43
azoz7 wrote:
Can someone elaborate why D is wrong?

Thanks

D and E both cover just one aspect of the argument separately not the full argument as a whole.
They merely represent tlone idea discussed in argument

so they can not be the conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IMD
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 00:12
IMO answer should be C (although I marked D initially).

Reasoning (after seeing the correct answer)-

Question stem- "most accurately expresses the conclusion drawn in the argument?"

Conclusion- The system is unfair to workers.

Option C is saying that the ranking system is not a fair way...which is same as the conclusion drawn in the argument.

Whereas in Option D, it says the reason(one of the many) why the rating system is unfair. It's quite an attractive choice (which fooled me in the first place).?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Internet and New Media)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2019, 03:35
D and E each presents one different aspect of the conclusion whereas C concludes in a complete manner.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2019, 03:35

Certain companies require their managers to rank workers in the groups

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics