GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 17:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances for UK Master?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Chances for UK Master?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2018, 03:02
Hello everyone,
I would like to kindly ask for fair opinions on chances of getting into a decent UK programme.

My profile:
Female, 3rd year undergraduate at #1 B-school in the country (CEE Europe)
GMAT: hjust started the preparations, practice test are around 700 & taking the actual test in November so that I could pull up my score

Experience:
3 month summer internship - ECM/DCM division at a local financial advisory company
3 month internship at local bank's IBD (one of major players on the local market)
9 month (ongoing) internship/junior analyst at Big4 Transaction Advisory Department (valuations& financial modelling) - beside being involved in various projects i developed a comprehensive tool used as a starting point for banks financial modelling and valuation and should get partner's recommendation

Other:
CFA RC EMEA finalist (country winner)
several Big4 national m&a-related contests' finalist
acted as school's finance club head of knowledge (organising trainings for students introducing to databases like bloomberg, emis, how to prepare for an interview etc)
co-coordinated the largest investment banking and private equity related event in the country
CFA scholarship recipient (taking the CFA level 1 in 2019)
selected for Big4 mentoring programme and Big3 high potential list
received scholarship for the future regional capital market leaders granted by fund supported by our local exchange
offered a position of teaching assistant at postgraduate programme at our school (valuation & business modelling programme) as the only undergraduate student

I spoke to a top European B-school recruiter recently - she really liked my profile and encouraged me to apply to their Msc Finance. I wouldn't be extremely anxious regarding my applications if it wasn't for my grades - an issue which I haven't mentioned to her and which keeps me awake at night. Due to insufficient presence during some classes I scored lower than I should (i.e. missing points from group exercises counted into overall grade, or missed midterm paper etc) and therefore my GPA converted to US scale is around 3.0/4.0 (3.75/5) with weird spread like C/B- (3 out of 5) in mathematics and A (5/5) in mathematics for finance. I predict my final GPA (including the thesis grade) to be 3.4 (4.2/5), translating to overall 2:1 (4.5/5).

Lower grades occurred mainly during my freshman year when my family was going through a really hard time and all the circumstances caused me to go through social anxiety disorder/depression phase. Not going into much details, I was literally panicked when I had to go to school or had to involve in social interactions and after I started getting hysterias in public I refused to go out of home almost at all, fearing that everyone will notice there's something wrong with me. Due to that I missed few exams and had to retake the subjects next year. I know that low grades are the material for the additional essay, however I'm not quite sure if I should disclose such things.

My dream was to get into LBS. Is there even a possibility of receiving an (conditional?) offer with 3.0/4.0 GPA at the moment of submitting the application (January 2019)? MiF programme content sounds perfect for me but given my grades and classes of 80/90 students I'm almost 100% sure there's no chance of getting an offer, but maybe MiM? Does it make sense to apply?
I was also considering submitting applications to LSE, Imperial, UCL, Cass. Among non-UK: HEC MIF. I'm freaking out that they will reject me everywhere (esp. LSE which I have read is extremely strict in terms of grades and extremely competitive, was thinking about a less competitive majors like Law & Accounting though).

Recently I declined a M&A offer from French MM bank and stated i'm not available until Feb in elite boutique very active on our market. Knowing their hours, I know I couldn't handle the job, GMAT and school at once, but I started to think that the first option could strenghten application to HEC.

Career goals: M&A London

Originally posted by abet on 06 Jul 2018, 10:33.
Last edited by abet on 07 Jul 2018, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chances for UK Master?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 23:49
abet wrote:
Hi, I need opinions on chances of getting into a decent UK programme.

Female, 3rd year undergrad at #1 bschool in the country
GMAT: haven't done the test yet but practice test are 700+ (taking the actual test in Nov)

Experience:
3 month summer internship at ECM/DCM division at a local company/financial advisor
3 month internship at local bank IBD (major regional player)
9 month (ongoing) internship/junior analyst at big4 transaction advisory department (m&a/valuations) beside being involved in various projects i developed a comprehensive tool used as a starting point for banks financial modelling and valuation

Other:
CFA RC regional finalist (country winner)
several big4 national m&a-related contests' finalist
acted as school's finance club head of knowledge (mostly organising trainings for club members introducing to databases like bloomberg etc)
co-coordinated the largest investment banking and private equity related event in the country
selected for big4 mentoring programme and big3 "high potential list"
received scholarship for the future regional capital market leaders supported granted by fund supported by our local exchange
offered a position of teaching assistant at postgraduate programme at our school (valuation & business modelling programme) as the only undergrad student

I spoke to a top European B-school recruiter recently and she really liked my profile and encouraged me to apply, I'm concerned about my grades though - an issue which I haven't mentioned to her... Due to insufficient presence during some classes I scored lower than I should (i.e. missing points from group excersises etc) and therefore my GPA converted to US scale is around 3.0/4.0. I predict my final GPA (including the thesis grade) to be 3.4, translating to overall 2:1. Lower grades ocurred mainly during my freshman year when my family was going through a hard time and all the circumstances caused me to go through social anxiety disorder/depression phase. Not going into much details, I was literally panicked when I had to go to school or had to involve in social interactions and after I started getting hysterias in public I refused to go out of home almost at all, fearing that everyone will notice I'm crazy. Due to that I missed few exams and had to retake the subjects next year. I know that explaination for the low grades should be put in additional essay, however I'm not sure if I should disclose such things.

My dream was to get into LBS. Is there even a possibility of receiving an offer with 3.0/4.0 GPA at the moment of submitting the application (January 2019)?
I was thinking also of LSE or Imperial, UCL, Cass. I'm freaking out that they will reject me everywhere (esp. LSE which I have read is extremely strict in terms of grades and extremely competitive, was thinking about a less competitive majors like Law & Accounting though).

Hi abet

I suppose you are not from UK, since you didn't mention name of the school that is your undergrad and number 1 biz school in your country.

Your list of schools is great.

All London, all top.

Don't know why you are mentioning US grading scale, since you want to go to UK schools, but I get the picture.

I think you should definitely explain that undergrad grades in your additional essay, they will be understanding toward your previous problems.

Your grades are not such a big deal, but if you decide to provide that explanation it would be even better, since that will explain effectively where does it come from.

That can happen to anybody, don't be afraid to be open about it.

Your overall profile is great, your working experience, scholarships and certainly TA position will help you a lot in admission.

Now, GMAT of 700+ is more than enough to get you in.

London Business School 695

LSE 680

Imperial College Business School 638

City University: Cass 635

Keep in mind, that I have provided you deliberately with average GMAT scores for most competitive MBA programs at those schools, meaning that for all other masters you need lower score to get in.

You are right, finance would be most competitive, either as concentration for for MBA or MSc in Finance, whereas accounting and law would be considerably less competitive, especially law.

Here you will find additional interesting info and figures, with caveat, that LSE doesn't have MBA program.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

Good Luck London girl :cool: :thumbup:

Your kudos are much appreciated

SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Chances for UK Master?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 01:25
Top Contributor
abet wrote:
Hi, I need opinions on chances of getting into a decent UK programme.

Female, 3rd year undergrad at #1 bschool in the country
GMAT: haven't done the test yet but practice test are 700+ (taking the actual test in Nov)

Experience:
3 month summer internship at ECM/DCM division at a local company/financial advisor
3 month internship at local bank IBD (major regional player)
9 month (ongoing) internship/junior analyst at big4 transaction advisory department (m&a/valuations) beside being involved in various projects i developed a comprehensive tool used as a starting point for banks financial modelling and valuation

Other:
CFA RC regional finalist (country winner)
several big4 national m&a-related contests' finalist
acted as school's finance club head of knowledge (mostly organising trainings for club members introducing to databases like bloomberg etc)
selected for big4 mentoring programme and big3 "high potential list"
received scholarship for the future regional capital market leaders supported granted by fund supported by our local exchange
offered a position of teaching assistant at postgraduate programme at our school (valuation & business modelling programme) as the only undergrad student

I spoke to a top European B-school recruiter recently and she really liked my profile and encouraged me to apply, I'm concerned about my grades though - an issue which I haven't mentioned to her... Due to insufficient presence during some classes I scored lower than I should (i.e. missing points from group excersises etc) and therefore my GPA converted to US scale is around 3.0/4.0. I predict my final GPA (including the thesis grade) to be 3.4, translating to overall 2:1. Lower grades ocurred mainly during my freshman year when my family was going through a hard time and all the circumstances caused me to go through social anxiety disorder/depression phase. Not going into much details, I was literally panicked when I had to go to school or had to involve in social interactions and after I started getting hysterias in public I refused to go out of home almost at all, fearing that everyone will notice I'm crazy. Due to that I missed few exams and had to retake the subjects next year. I know that explaination for the low grades should be put in additional essay, however I'm not sure if I should disclose such things.

My dream was to get into LBS. Is there even a possibility of receiving an offer with 3.0/4.0 GPA at the moment of submitting the application (January 2019)?
I was thinking also of LSE or Imperial, UCL, Cass. I'm freaking out that they will reject me everywhere (esp. LSE which I have read is extremely strict in terms of grades and extremely competitive, was thinking about a less competitive majors like Law & Accounting though).

Hi

Thanks for posting. Overall, you will probably breeze through UCL and Cass with a decent application. LSE should be ok as well - you do meet their criteria, and your overall experience, accolades, and internships will help you be at least competitive for consideration there as well. The GMAT will be important, and if you do cross the 700 mark, there is no reason not to apply to these schools, and maybe consider others as well, such as HEC. If you can move beyond the 720 figure, maybe look at the MSc in Financial Analysis at LBS too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Chances for UK Master? &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jul 2018, 01:25

Chances for UK Master?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap