GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chance at Admission to Top 10 w/ Plagiarism on record

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Chance at Admission to Top 10 w/ Plagiarism on record   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 01:02
Hi. I’m considering applying for business school, mostly in the top 10 esp Stern. However I was found guilty of plagiarism after graduating. It was extremely foolish and stupid of me.

I was dealing with a lot at the time with a lot of family deaths that led to depression and addiction. I was allowed to redo the class as an independent study with the professor who was part of the panel that decided on my consequences.

He helped me through a lot with the independent study and personal stuff too. For business school, I know that this might just be a nail in the coffin for me but I just want to get a sense on how to best approach this when asked as I definitely don’t want my explanation to be muddled with excuses.

I don’t have high hopes so your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chance at Admission to Top 10 w/ Plagiarism on record  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 14:36
phillipNYC wrote:
Hi. I’m considering applying for business school, mostly in the top 10 esp Stern. However I was found guilty of plagiarism after graduating. It was extremely foolish and stupid of me.

I was dealing with a lot at the time with a lot of family deaths that led to depression and addiction. I was allowed to redo the class as an independent study with the professor who was part of the panel that decided on my consequences.

He helped me through a lot with the independent study and personal stuff too. For business school, I know that this might just be a nail in the coffin for me but I just want to get a sense on how to best approach this when asked as I definitely don’t want my explanation to be muddled with excuses.

I don’t have high hopes so your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi,

You are right that this might be crucial, usually it is.
But you are already aware of that.
I am not sure how much you can actually do to somehow correct that, except being trully honest in describing your mistake.
All people make mistakes and have to live with them, tell them what that particular mistake has changed in you, what have you learn, why you even was in tempatation to commit it in first place etc.
Tell them everything exactly how it was and how you feel now about it.
Plagarism is indeed very serious transgression in academic world there is no question about it, but the damage is already done to your CV/application, so you need to acknowledge it and still dont give up on your goals.
Be honest and remorseful dont hide any detail. That might win them to give you second chance, but dont be dissapointed if they are not willing to go over it.

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Chance at Admission to Top 10 w/ Plagiarism on record &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 14:36

Chance at Admission to Top 10 w/ Plagiarism on record

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mihir0710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap